+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Kaleidos - happy users of the Learning Spaces in Technical; It appears that many schools have Kaleidos, I don't seem to be able to find many positive comments about Kaleidos. ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Kaleidos - happy users of the Learning Spaces

It appears that many schools have Kaleidos, I don't seem to be able to find many positive comments about Kaleidos.

I really believe that VLEs work - the bit that is about student - teacher interaction or to be precise the "Learning Bit"

Having spent time with the Learning spaces uploading resources and linking them to courses, I find myself a bit underwhelmed at what I've got for the amount of effort put in.

Has anybody seen or even have a good Kaleidos implementation that say half the teachers use and half the students regularly use (at least twice a week).

I have heard of lots of people who have been told that it's ok in a school down the road, but have yet to talk to anyone directly, who smiles and is as enthusiastic as a Moodle user, apart from people who have been to a show and seen a demo, or paid 20k for the pleasure and now feel obliged to say it's great.

As I'm stuck with it, and it looks like a lot of people will be stuck with it if it wins the BSF contract, I just wanted a little reassurance that somebody has got it to work to some extent.

Thanks

Come on 70 views and nobody has anything nice to say about kaleidos?
    Last edited by vle_lover; 17th September 2009 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd love to be positive about Kaleidos... um...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vle_lover View Post
    It appears that many schools have Kaleidos, I don't seem to be able to find many positive comments about Kaleidos.
    I'll let you know when it happens.... I am a relative newbie with Kaleidos, but it doesn't seem to put itself across as totally and unconditionally brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by vle_lover View Post
    Having spent time with the Learning spaces uploading resources and linking them to courses, I find myself a bit underwhelmed at what I've got for the amount of effort put in.
    Yes.. it seems, to an inexperienced eye, a bit clunky and unwealdly. I'll come back to you in due course.

Really, I'm trying to be positive, but I'm hoping my smile doesn't become a forced, muscle-aching grimace... as I feel it might... very soon.

I am having to give up my humble little Googlesites offering that keeps my KS3 Technology work together (keystage3.info) knocked together from odds and ends in my little cyber-shed and am having, instead, to go and work in the big, complicated Kaleidos factory, so I have to admit I'm not in a totally receptive mood.
    Last edited by kitsch; 18th September 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Thank Post
    We paid a lot of money for Kaleidos a few years back.
    We stopped using it a couple of years back and that was definately a positive step

Of course it may be much better now if the full web version ever got released.

Thank Post
    I've been looking at Kaleidos today... looks like it could be good if used properly. So many bits and bobs really need full staff/student participation for it to work properly.... that'll be the hardest part. :/
    I'm looking at it fairly positively atm though, we have a web/VLE co-ordinator so I'm sure it'll be dealt with properly if we get it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    I've been looking at Kaleidos today... looks like it could be good if used properly. So many bits and bobs really need full staff/student participation for it to work properly.... that'll be the hardest part. :/
    I'm looking at it fairly positively atm though, we have a web/VLE co-ordinator so I'm sure it'll be dealt with properly if we get it.
    That is the same with any VLE you go for, the hardest part is getting staff involved and using the VLE you need alot of help from your Senior Leadership Team. We have now finally got them backing the development and we have done timelines etc and that is now what everyone will be working to. it will make sure that our curiculum is online by Sep 2010.

But yeah, you say "it will be good if used properly" but that is not only a kaleidos problem that is a VLE problem all together weather it is Kaleidos, Talmos, Frog, Moodle, SharePoint etc.

James.

7. Thanks to EduTech from:

beeswax (18th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    That is the same with any VLE you go for, the hardest part is getting staff involved and using the VLE you need alot of help from your Senior Leadership Team. We have now finally got them backing the development and we have done timelines etc and that is now what everyone will be working to. it will make sure that our curiculum is online by Sep 2010.

But yeah, you say "it will be good if used properly" but that is not only a kaleidos problem that is a VLE problem all together weather it is Kaleidos, Talmos, Frog, Moodle, SharePoint etc.

James.
    Spot on. At the moment I sit in school applying different tactics to get staff using our VLE, but once a managed service becomes a reality will there be room for such a person?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    We also paid a lot of money for the kaleidos VLE which the teachers were all enthusiastic about until I installed and configured it.................then I found out that they really didn't have a clue about what they were actually going to use it for and how to use it. It has been used by the maths dept for bits and bobs but not in real anger so we have ditched it in favour of Moodle which is being used in anger now and picking up pace.

Thank Post
    Did you mention Moodle?.......

Isn't Moodle fantastic and free!

Thank Post
    I have the big meetings over the next couple of weeks with curriculum leaders, little do they know, but they will be passing on resources for me to sort out for them. Then when they have used it a bit more I shall show them how to do it. It's a slow process but IT WILL HAPPEN!

Thank Post
    Unlike most of you probably, I am just here as an interested internet user/teacher and start with a VLE knowledge base of practically zero. I am one of the ordinary teachers you talk about. I LOVE the internet but am baulking at the level of work our VLE is going to cause and am having an attitude problem towards it. So what hope have (we with the) the Luddites and skeptics of this world?

I bet it wasn't tested on them. I bet they weren't consulted. Yet they are pretty well the ones deciding a system's future success.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsch View Post
    Unlike most of you probably, I am just here as an interested internet user/teacher and start with a VLE knowledge base of practically zero. I am one of the ordinary teachers you talk about. I LOVE the internet but am baulking at the level of work our VLE is going to cause and am having an attitude problem towards it. So what hope have (we with the) the Luddites and skeptics of this world?

I bet it wasn't tested on them. I bet they weren't consulted. Yet they are pretty well the ones deciding a system's future success.
    I've passed the details for the test accounts onto a few IT teachers and I'm going to go through it with a few others. Also a number of teachers went to the meeting RM gave on Kaleidos a few weeks ago.

I do think we're going to struggle to fully use it, the amount of stuff in it requires a lot of commitment from staff from the looks of it and I fully understand how busy teachers are already. I think we'll at least get the IT staff using it properly first.

Thank Post

A lot in Kaleidos

I've passed the details for the test accounts onto a few IT teachers and I'm going to go through it with a few others. Also a number of teachers went to the meeting RM gave on Kaleidos a few weeks ago.

I do think we're going to struggle to fully use it, the amount of stuff in it requires a lot of commitment from staff from the looks of it and I fully understand how busy teachers are already. I think we'll at least get the IT staff using it properly first.

I'm not sure there is a lot in the Learning Spaces part of Kaleidos, what you can do seems quite restricted and hard work to make happen.

The trouble with getting non teachers, or those that don't teach regularly, to look at it, is they don't sit down and consider a whole course and how you would present it using the VLE.
    Kaleidos "as is" is not very inspiring to either teacher or student, and really hard, slow work.

I was hoping someone would say, "We use the Kaleidos Learning Spaces and it's great, we use Product A to produce scorm compliant activities and they work fine, recording the details of the activities for a student"

I was hoping I'd just got the "wrong end of the stick" with kaleidos and just not understood what it can do.

Thank Post
    VLE Lover, if you would like to PM me I could give you some information on some schools.

A lot of the posts above are based on a technological view, and not from a "change management view" Typical from this kind of forum of course, since its predominantly Techie based.

The push for VLE/Learning Platforms has to be from the top. A top down approach you might say.

The SMT must enforce changes that are quick wins. For Example, how about rather than printing out cover and sticking it on the Staffroom wall, you publish it in the Learning Platform! Easy Really?

Some schools have meetings each week to go over the diary for the week after, pop it on the Learning Platform so its viewable and consultable whenever a teacher/member of staff wants?

Simple and quick effective wins are what are needed....bitesize chunks you might say.....

Oh yeah and of course, remember this software is about the Learners and Parents rather than the Teachers!

The problem with schools/IT Techs is they spend far to long procrastinating about products and things they have to do, which ultimately wastes time. Get on with the parts that work (and work for the school), and build on that with direction from your SMT and you might just implement a LP that is worth using!

Kaleidos in my opinion is just as good as any other VLE, it's how you use it and implement it within a school that is the key, and that is in the majority what schools arn't able to do. There are many different reasons why this is, but effectively its for the reasons above, the "change management" procedure isn't being seized and the bigger picture isn't effectively being seen!

Thank Post
    One of the problems with VLEs is actually getting people to decide how they want to use and develop it. We're putting together a group including the tech staff and a few teachers non necessarily technical teachers to decide what we want from it.

Unfortunately we moved from Uniservity to Kaleidos and the staff are not impressed I haven't used it myself 'yet' but the feedback has been very negative. I'm tempted to look at Moodle but I've got so little time at the moment worried about taking on something else to manage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast