+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Sharepoint Learning Kit in Technical; Originally Posted by dagza Tried to get that from the MS website but it didn't like my debit card for ...
    Thank Post

Re: Sharepoint Learning Kit

Quote Originally Posted by dagza
    Tried to get that from the MS website but it didn't like my debit card for some reason :-/
    Here are the download locations of the various builds of WSS3 Beta if that's any use: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...oint_setup.exe

You'll also need the beta Windows Workflow Foundation (?), .net framework 2, 2003SP1. The prereqs are in the SLK getting started guide.

Thank Post

Thanks a lot for that, I will look into it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

It just killed my installation of Virtual Server :-(

It doesn't like running it from the same box ... but I shall keep at it until it is happy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm ... re-run the Virtual Server installer and it fixes it ...

Now just gotta get the learning essentials sorted, build a few test sites and start looking at setting up groups.

Trying to decide whether to allow email messages through it ... or make the students / staff testing it run though the existing mail setup.

Thank Post

Hi Tony,

We had the same issues as well the first time it didn't like extending the site or something when using VMWare workstation i think it was.

I think some info (if you have it or will have it) on WSS 3.0 and SLK would be great! Does this mean that wjhen SLK is out will it include the sims web parts do we still need to apply for these?

I'm just trying to look at all the pre-requesites of WSS 3.0 with SLK to get a picture of how it all integrates and what kinds of benifits it brings.

If someone has already tried this on virtual machine and got it working then it would be an idea to make the VM image available so others can use the VM Player or something to test it out without havig to go through the whole install.

I know the image will run into few GBs but still worth it guess or make a DVD availble perhaps.

I think its got a lot potential for being used as a VLE and more because of the modular approach of using web parts for various functionality.

BTW MS will be making the templates available for WSS 3.0 soon so that should be worth looking into as well.

Ash.

Thank Post

Does this mean that wjhen SLK is out will it include the sims web parts do we still need to apply for these?
    No, the SIMS web parts are completely separate from SLK. Specifically the (read/write) web parts produced by Capita (as part of their Learning Gateway) are only supported for use on SPS 2003. Since they seem to use their own application tier for AD-SIMS account mapping in favour of MS SSO, I don't understand why they don't support WSS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

The SLK will be launched at Bett, so one big reason to go as I hope you can pick it up from there rather than wait for the web to be updated. It looks a good thing from what I've seen of it so should be a good thing. I hope they are doing a short presentation on it at Bett.

Thank Post

The SharePoint Learning Kit has now been formally released to the education community.
    You can get the compiled binaries or source code at: http://codeplex.com/SLK

Dagza: Thanks for catching my typo in the PPT deck! I'll fix that as soon as I'm done in London and get back to Redmond! You also noticed the two sites, www.LearningGateway.net and the CodePlex.com/SLK site. The CodePlex site is for engineers who wish to download bits, report bugs, contribute code, get technical SLK answers. The LearningGateway.net site is for more general questions about the collection of things that make SharePoint particularly relevant to educaiton. (which is quite a mouthfull when you say it out loud, so we've settled on Learning Gateway as an easy to say and remember way to describe educational deployments of SharePoint and relevant web parts.

Quackers: You're right. Moodle does offer more features than SLK does. We're just fine with that, actually. As both work well in a SharePoint Learning Gateway, we're quite happy to see you use whichever you like (see http://www.codeplex.com/Moodle2003WP to get the web parts). SLK was designed to be a fully conformant SCORM 2004 assignment distribution tool with the power to turn any other electronic content into an assignment as well (albeit with fewer features!). Our thought in this was to let teachers assign the content they like, without having to worry about what kind of file it was. SLK just does the right thing with whatever content you have.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. I'd have responded sooner had I learned of this site earlier!

Any other SLK or Learning Gateway questions I can answer for you?

--Mike Hines [Microsoft]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for posting here Mike its really appreciated. I am sure I and many others may have questions for you. I know we are cracking on with thinking on this and it will be good to get the final code and stuff into Sharepoint Server 2007 and start playing about with it before releasing it to the teachers.

Thank Post

@GrumbleDook
    "The web parts were interesting too ... Moodle web parts, SIMS web parts ... but not even a screen shot yet of CMIS web parts."
    anyone know if there's a SIMS Web Part for Sharepoint 2007?

Thank Post

CMIS don't have web parts as such. 8)

You can link their ePortal through Sharepoint and use the sharepoint logon to access.

I'm in the process of testing this.

Thank Post

The SIMS web parts are being re-engineered for Sharepoint 2007 - they will be there by Sept 2007.

Thank Post

The reply from Capita was quick, excellent and they will have learned a lot from the web part development for SPS 2003.

It would be nice to see them before Sept so that they can be tested.

The problem I believe with the existing web parts is that they were developed for the Sims Learning Gateway and not for existing gateways.

I stand to be corrected.

The web part does too much not in terms of access to the sims data but consolidation, creation links in AD. puts templates on your system.

School staff like the functionallity of a web part within a Microsoft gateway.
    The benefit to a school is huge.

I'm led to believe some schools still have separate admin and curriculum networks. This allows you to mark your register logged on through a browser on the curriculum network or out of school.

Its not been an easy ride for teckies!!

Thank Post

We are working with quite a number of other LG suppliers already who have integrated our web parts into their implementation. However we do recognise that our SPS2003 implementation could have been more flexible and you will see that reflected later on this year.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12