+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE Resources vs content packs in Technical; Hello, I am starting with a barebones system and wanted some opinions on resources? Most resources the school currently has ...
    Thank Post

VLE Resources vs content packs

Hello,

I am starting with a barebones system and wanted some opinions on resources?

Most resources the school currently has are either paper-based or electronic version of paper-based(pdf, docs etc.). There are a few powerpoints and some use interactive websites but that's about it.

I just wanted thoughts on whether you think it's a good idea to purchase a few content packs to get things going or start transfering existing resources and making them a bit interactive (quizzes that's sort of a thing). Personally I think student won't get sold on that as much as all singing all dancing maths game, so I don't want to put huge ammount of effort of transferring paper resources when content pack might be a better solution.

However, it obviously comes down to cost and interestingly enough the content packs for our platform(RM's Kaleidos) don't display price - in my mind that means EXPENSIVE. If so, I need to be able to justify the cost.

Anyone out there started with a bare bones system and what were the choices you made? And do now wish you chose differently?

Any opinions will be appreciated!

Thank Post
    I found the best way to deal with this is to find out the departments that are actually wanting to use the VLE and give (buy) them more of the SCORM packages etc that are out there. Once other faculties see the resources they have they will want to put their departmental cash into it in order to not fall behind. Has worked a treat here.
    Then you can chase up the others and help them along a bit more, once the teachers are hooked its easier for the enthusiasm to pass down to the kids, regardless of interactive content.
    Sometimes kids do have to just read without scoring a goal in a Flash game

Thank Post
    Dont get sold ont he scorm complient software a lot of it is just PDF's and publisher files packaged to fit ina VLE which you can do yourself without the added cost.
    I agree with what has been said about getting departments on board.

Matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah what we are doing is getting the departments involved, we have give a person from each department training on our VLE and that person has been given the extra time to populate there departmental area on the Environment.

Basically they have a staff shared area (around 200gb+) so they will be fishing through that and sorting out what has to be put on the platform and what can be achived

James.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

I have found a few departments keen to use the vle (thank goodness!) and actually adapt some resources.

The problem is that there are a good number of electronic resources they already have (cd based) which I am keen to transfer to the vle - is there anyone out there who could do a lamans guide for me on how to go about doing it? Or should I start a new thread?

I am aware that the resources have to be scorm compatible, have the cd that has a cab file which holds powerpoint, word and flash content. What would you use to package it?

I've downloaded a few editors, but they just create new content not package existing one?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Actually, the resources dont necessarily need to be scorm compliant depending in what format they are. I.e. if its word docs you dont need to repackage them same with powerpoitn publisher etc. Scorm is useful for quizzes and anything where you want the instant feedback of automatically marked or scored content.

Please any correct me if i am wrong but thats how i understand it and have used it for out LP.

Thanks
    Matt

7. Thanks to mattmoo from:

znova (16th September 2009)

Thank Post
    So how did you deal with resources which are powerpoint with embbeded flash? We can't put powerpoint on the vle just in case a child doesn't have access to MS Office(and no, they can't download the open office ).

That leaves me with converting a powerpoint presentation to flash (using ispring free) but it falls apart when it comes to embedded flash content.

I know lots of questions -sorry- but my training won't materialise till the end of the month so I basically have to find my own solutions meanwhile. The school seems to think now they have a person to sort out the vle and I'll just make it so without any training!

Thank Post
    How many do you have with embedded flash? I use ispring free to convert the powerpoints to flash too so if that don't work take a look at some of the others. Adobe do some elearning stuff which promises good conversion although i think i tried it and iSpring performed better. Dont hold me to that either.

Thanks
    Matt

Thank Post
    To add another angle to it: what about just leaving powerpoint and doc file be and tell the kids if they don't have MS Office to download open office? MAKE THEM!

I know it's a question of access but as others mentioned there are always after school clubs where they could access their homework.

At the moment the teacher that wants to use it just wants to be able to start gently by giving his student a doc file(typing and filling in blanks type of thing). Can't really do that with pdfs - well, not easily. I know this could be done by creating the homework sheet for the vle in the first place but we have to start somewhere!

We have way too many docs for me to faff around with and then it would only create another hassle of students not beeing able to edit their own document.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread