+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle: SMB Web Client Issues in Technical; Hello all, I'm having a couple of strange issues with the SMB Web Client, and I'm totally stumped with where ...

Thank Post

Moodle: SMB Web Client Issues

Hello all,

I'm having a couple of strange issues with the SMB Web Client, and I'm totally stumped with where to go next really.

We've managed to get LDAP working without any problems. The SMB Web Client is slightly more strange.

The file listings appear for each users home directory, but when we try to download anything, it comes back as zero bytes. This also happens if we try to download a folder through the zip option. Uploading things works fine though.

Over the course of installing the SMB Web Client, I've done quite a bit of Goole searching for things about it but haven't come across anything regarding this issue. If I've missed something then I apologise. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

We're running Ubuntu Server 9.04 with Moodle 1.9.5. Anything else you need to know, please just ask.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have no idea why there is an EduGeek link in the middle of my post? Not my day, clearly..
    Last edited by tdibb; 1st July 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Thank Post
    We had this problem as well, from what I can remember it was down to the moodle server not having zip installed. Installed that on the server and everything downloaded fine.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've double-checked our server and we've got the latest version of zip & unzip. We still haven't had any joy with the downloading though. Whichever file type I download, and if I try to download a folder, it comes back as zero bytes.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tdibb View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've double-checked our server and we've got the latest version of zip & unzip. We still haven't had any joy with the downloading though. Whichever file type I download, and if I try to download a folder, it comes back as zero bytes.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Are you running moodle site as http or https, because we have tested it and works for https and not http.

And also when you want to download a particular folder first you have to click on that folder and then download a folder(zip) and say ok.

not just selecting the folder and download a folder(zip).

cheers

5. Thanks to kieran8055 from:

tdibb (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Ah, that could be it. We are running HTTP at the moment until we sort a proper SSL certificate. I made the assumption that if you change the ssl option in the config file that it would be OK. I will have a go at putting a temp SSL cert in and try. Thank you!

Thank Post
    Hi,

We've now moved over to HTTPS, yet the Web Client still isn't downloading anything as it should. We still get the files downloaded with zero bytes.

If I try downloading the same file through the command line on the server, it works fine, so I can't think that it's something to do with smbclient.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tdibb View Post
    Hi,

We've now moved over to HTTPS, yet the Web Client still isn't downloading anything as it should. We still get the files downloaded with zero bytes.

If I try downloading the same file through the command line on the server, it works fine, so I can't think that it's something to do with smbclient.

Thanks
    Have tried downloading in otherway - not just selecting the folder and select download folder(zip) click OK

Try this - click on the folder, window shows up all the files from that folder and from the dropdown menu select Download folder(zip) Click OK. I think this should work.

Cheers :0)

Thank Post
    That still gets the same result. A zero bytes zip file.

The zip file probably won't be used that much (maybe more by the staff but not so much by the students), but trying to download an individual file is the one that's causing the headache at the moment.

I'm really stuck as to what to try next really. I've got a good background with PHP and tried to browse through the source, but can't find anything obvious that may be causing this.

Thanks for your help so far though!

EDIT: I've also tried it in a couple of other browsers too, just incase. Safari and Firefox both give the same result.
    Last edited by tdibb; 10th July 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post

Folder download problem on IE

Strange problem, well we can download folder from firefox, but not on Internet Explorer (IE).
    When trying to download from IE it downloaded as 0 bytes.

It works well with firefox.

Any suggestions or help please.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It has to be an issue with IE, can't you just direct the students to use FF instead?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It has to be an issue with IE, can't you just direct the students to use FF instead?
    Thanks for you response, well its not easy to use FF instead because maximum users are using IE.
    Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread