+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moving Moodle! in Technical; Two Part Question: 1) We have set up Moodle using the 'simple' install and all is fine BUT we have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Moving Moodle!

Two Part Question:

1) We have set up Moodle using the 'simple' install and all is fine BUT we have been advised that we need to move it to IIS instead of Apache? (please don't shoot me if this is wrong - I am very new to this!)
    Can we do this easily? If so, are there instructions anywhere?

2) We are having a new server over the summer - Server 2008 (64 bit) and we would like to move the Moodle content over to it. Is this possible? If so, how? Exactly what do we move?

All help gratefully received.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    1) We have set up Moodle using the 'simple' install and all is fine BUT we have been advised that we need to move it to IIS instead of Apache? (please don't shoot me if this is wrong - I am very new to this!)
    this is wrong. Moodle is much better supported on Linux/apache than it is on windows/iis. go look at the moodle forums.

2) We are having a new server over the summer - Server 2008 (64 bit) and we would like to move the Moodle content over to it. Is this possible? If so, how? Exactly what do we move?

should be quite easy, dump the mssql database. copy the files over, re-import the database.

Moodle migration - MoodleDocs

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

witch (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Whats the reason for that? I thought Moodle was happier with an Apache webserver :s

Beaten
    I = much to slow lol

Thank Post
    Can we do this easily? If so, are there instructions anywhere?
    Who ever advised you to move to IIS can i take them outside and shoot them?

I would move to a linux (centos or Redhat) box instead of a windows server, in the long term you will have more flexibility.

Thank Post
    We are having a new server over the summer - Server 2008 (64 bit) and we would like to move the Moodle content over to it.
    I'm (semi-)planning to move to Moodle 2.0 over the summer. I'm planning to set up a dedicated virtual machine to run it on, which should avoid all this stuff about which web server to run it on. You could do the same - either run your Server 2008 machine as a VM under Linux, or run a Linux VM on your Server 2008 machine.

I want to get this new Moodle to hook up properly to our Active Directory server so we have consistant logins accross our system. I think my plan so far is to simply set up this new Moodle server from scratch then export courses from the old server and import them in to the new.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @witch:

Hi witch I agree with the others that Moodle runs much better with Apache than IIS this is well documented on the Moodle site.

I also agree with CyberNerd in the movement of the database to another place as well as the content.

And would also agree with penfold_99 as to installing on a Linux distro such as the ones he has advised, along with another distro which we run ours on Ubuntu.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    And would also agree with penfold_99 as to installing on a Linux distro such as the ones he has advised, along with another distro which we run ours on Ubuntu.
    If you are thinking about tying moodle and sims.net via direct db connection, watch out for the problem with freetds on ubuntu. AFAIK its still broken.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    If you are thinking about tying moodle and sims.net via direct db connection, watch out for the problem with freetds on ubuntu. AFAIK its still broken.
    I documented how to get freetds working to SQL 2000 and SQL2005. It was for a Facility plugin not SIMS though (The original author was using a RedHat based distro and I had to re write the installation guide for Ubuntu)

What part of freetds is not working for SIMS.net? I may be able to help if it related to connecting to mssql?

Tim

Thank Post
    Direct SIMS db access... agggh nooo!!

I think the reason why witch is being told to move moodle over to IIS is it's easy to support (don't shoot me!! keep reading). If you think of it like this, you have 1,000 servers in an LA, all microsoft, you have WSUS etc setup and small army of Microsoft experts, a school has a unmanaged linux box\apache server... bang goes your security.

(Before you go on about how security linux is, yes, I know, BUT, if it isn't kept up-to-date and setup correctly, you're be watching as your nicely managed windows server laughs as your linux box gets hacked)

N00by question, why hasn't anyone made a installer for Moodle\php for IIS? Or where is it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post

N00by question, why hasn't anyone made a installer for Moodle\php for IIS? Or where is it?
    I guess it's because windows lacks a lot of the components that moodle uses, so it's not as simple as apt-get install moodle. linux distributions already maintain the pre-requisites and most people use linux as it is the best tool for the job.

There is windows help for moodlers:
    Windows installation - MoodleDocs

The moodle installation needs to be updated for security, as well as the server.
    it looks like a tossup between having to learn linux, or spend more time wrestling with keeping moodle and its components uptodate on windows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Direct SIMS db access... agggh nooo!!
    ok will rephrase a sql database thats not sims

Thank Post

Moving Moodle

Without delving into the Linux/Windows Apache/IIS debate, Moodle will run on all of them. Sounds like you don't have a choice, perhaps.

To move your site:

1. Install IIS, MySQL, PHP on Win Server 2008. Phpmyadmin is also useful if you don't know the MySQL command line.
    2. Backup existing moodle root directory (/moodle by default).
    3. Backup existing moodle data directory (/moodledata by default).
    4. Dump existing MySQL database to .sql file.
    5. Restore moodle root directory on Win2008 IIS server.
    6. Restore moodle data directory on Win2008 (outside of moodle root for security)
    7. Import .sql file in new MySQL instance.

Linux/Apache really is a better platform (I've had great luck with both Debian and Ubuntu), but sometimes you're not allowed to do that. I've run Moodle quite successfully on Win2008/IIS.

Be glad to answer questions as you do your migration.

moodlewright

14. Thanks to moodlewright from:

witch (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I would guess they would want you to use MSSQL rather then MySQL.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Thanks
    I'm sure that it does work fine with apache and I would prefer to leave it there (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but the boss wants to see if it can be moved - I'm not sure why. - something to do with ports and the website - we could put it on the same port and then people from outside don't need to type '81' after the addy which apparently they are incapable of doing. (If this makes no sense, humour me - I got about 3 hours sleep last night - went to see a film far too late and couldn't stop brain)
    It isn't a support issue because I support the curriculum network completely and get no help from the LA
    I'm sure the Linux option is best but it really isn't possible here - I know nothing about it and wouldn't know where to start - we also have a managed system here so integration might be a problem

Thank Post
    Thanks
    I'm sure that it does work fine with apache and I would prefer to leave it there (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but the boss wants to see if it can be moved - I'm not sure why. - something to do with ports and the website - we could put it on the same port and then people from outside don't need to type '81' after the addy which apparently they are incapable of doing. (If this makes no sense, humour me - I got about 3 hours sleep last night - went to see a film far too late and couldn't stop brain)
    It isn't a support issue because I support the curriculum network completely and get no help from the LA
    I'm sure the Linux option is best but it really isn't possible here - I know nothing about it and wouldn't know where to start - we also have a managed system here so integration might be a problem
    I guess port 80 is being used by Apache.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast