+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Sharepoint AV solution? in Technical; So, I saw that Microsoft announced that the Exchange 2007 beta is being made publicly available today. I also saw ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sharepoint AV solution?

So, I saw that Microsoft announced that the Exchange 2007 beta is being made publicly available today. I also saw that they were making the beta of Forefront available too.

Being as Forefront is a rebadged version of Sybari Antigen, I thought I'd take a look at the Sybari site and see what else they did. I noticed they did an antivirus solution for Sharepoint as well.

Now that I think about it, this makes a lot of sense to me. Stuff stored in Sharepoint is stored in the SQL database iirc so the regular virus scanner on the Sharepoint/SQL server itself is probably not going to catch any malware that gets uploaded to it. Alright, the on-access scanner on the workstations will probably catch it once it's downloaded but there is nothing to stop people from uploading crap from the outside.

So, I take a look at McAfee's site and see that they do a Sharepoint scanner too.

The point to my rambling is this: I know there are a few people here who run the Microsoft Learning Gateway. Do you have an AV solution for it? How much did it cost? Is it any good?

Cheers,

Norphy

Thank Post

Re: Sharepoint AV solution?

I looked at this a while ago and looked at Sybari, Symantec, AVG's SPS AV solutions which all work out to at least £1500-£2000 pa when you have at least 1000 users. That's using either licensing model (per user, or per server) where available.

Thank Post

Re: Sharepoint AV solution?

We use Sybaris for our Exchange Server 2003 we have kept the users to 999 and I only pay about £1000 for two years (I think the pricing is the same for SharePoint, bought from Civica). Incidentally the Sybaris software I use has the McAfee, CA Vet, Sophos, Norman Data Defence engines all running, the updating is faultless but the notifications where ott. A couple of clicks later and everything’s cool.

I will be looking at the Forefront offering when my licence runs out in a year

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread