+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LPPlus and Firefox in Technical; Right, bit of an issue you folks may well be able to help with. School has a batch of Asus ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries

LPPlus and Firefox

Right, bit of an issue you folks may well be able to help with.

School has a batch of Asus EEEPCs (4g) with the basic linux OS and, naturally Firefox.
    They are using the LPPlus VLE, who state clearly that it must be run on IE and IE alone. This in my eyes is downright lazy bearing in mind just how poor IE is if we're talking standards and HTML compliance. However, must work around it unfortunately.

Now, an esteemed colleague of mine put his head together with RM (who supplied the minibooks) and suggested a Wine installation of IE7. I'm not even going to attempt it - I'm fully versed in the intricacies of Wine however by the time we've finished pratting around with the plugins and cross-documentation I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth.

So, the best all round solution would be to see if I can get LPPlus working within Firefox. The site itself appears to work mostly fine - uploading, sharing documents etc works nicely, all the settings features appear to work just fine. However, as an example when editing content which is in a Wiki type thing, in Firefox we're greeted with a frame allowing you to do that, however it's the full source code with all HTML tags and what not, as opposed to the WYSIWYG type thing with IE.

Hoping someone has come across this already. Might be a simple setting change required or a plugin I can get on the minibooks to cope with this. I certainly don't want to be changing browsers etc because of lazy development :/

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    There are alternative content editors which are available.

What you want to get them to make available is HiSoftware Accessibility Compliance Solutions for Microsoft SharePointŪ Serve this is cross browser and standards compliant.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

synaesthesia (16th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have had similar issues with firefox on EeePCs, but fine on Ubuntu ... For no
    Reason I can find. The wiki module itself is the one from MS so there is little that LP+ can do and it was also raised at the ICT co-ordinators' meeting yesterday as well, so we are aware of the issue. What is it like in Konqueror?

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, didn't see if there were alternative browsers already installed - and guessed not due to the diminutive size of the hard drives. Will take a look next week, at the moment this is more of a large inconvenience rather than something vital. Have sorted out my own lpplus account to fiddle with it at home this week and as you say, have found no problems in firefox either in windows or Ubuntu. And of course re the first reply, it's unlikely we'll be able to get LPPlus to install such addons - unless there's enough call for it. At the moment I'm trying to stop them shouting at RM too much for "supplying them with something unfit for purpose" - I don't know what the sales pitch was but obviously they can't give a list of stuff they wont be compatible with.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    the content component was developed by hi software at the request of microsoft. I would have thought you can install it yourself it just won't be the default editor

8. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, will have a closer look at that then, cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread