+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Uniservity v's Moodle in Technical; I have a meeting on Tuesday with my SMT to try to show that moodle would be a good alternative ...
    Thank Post

Uniservity v's Moodle

I have a meeting on Tuesday with my SMT to try to show that moodle would be a good alternative to our LA provided uniservity.
    Our LA provided uniservity for us last September and so far it has virtually nothing on it. I believe (my opinion) that the staff just find it a bit too hard to use. I have given some training to the staff on two occasions but nothing has really progressed since then.
    I have a test moodle set up that links into a mahara server that I am going to show to the SMT.
    One question that has been raised in advance is that uniservity will be able to link into SIMS so that parents from home will be able to view their child's reports online. I don't have a comeback for that one as I don't believe that is possible with moodle. Maybe a fudge would be to use moodle as our VLE and just set a link to the uniservity so parents could see those reports?

I don't want to be seen as someone being negative about one VLE over another I just want the chosen one to be a success. I could have just gone with the uniservity choice and sat back.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

Thank Post
    The Definitive Guide to SIMS.net, Moodle and LDAP Integration

I believe penfold is even offering to do the intergration for a small consideration

3. Thanks to beeswax from:

penfold_99 (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Penfold_99 has been doing some work on Sims integration which is all open source.

I've also started work with some partners about surfacing Sims information in Moodle. Unlikely to be fully available before September though.

Richard

[edit] Beeswax beat me to it with Penfold and even provided a link!
    Last edited by rpwillis; 11th June 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Comment on Beeswax's post.

5. Thanks to rpwillis from:

penfold_99 (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I'm slightly in the dark about what parents need to access by September 2010. Can they access this at the monet through uniservity?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @reggiep:

We are going to use Moodle in anger starting this September for year 7s and to facilitate this I will have a windows sharepoint server with Sims webparts allowing parental access how we want it.

Also this will facilitate quite a few other features which will enhance the teaching and learning environment.

I would think that moving so quickly to another VLE would maybe disillusion quite a few members of staff.

We have waited for almost 4 years to see the development of VLEs or VTLEs so that we can make a decision based on factual evidence.

You pays yer money and yer takes ur choice

Good Luck whichever way you go

Thank Post
    @bossman
    I think most staff are already cynical about any VLE, with most just seeing it as either an extra burden or just a "fancy website".
    Pray do tell more about the sims webparts. Is that a capita provided tool?
    I am also hearing about the capita learning gateway, perhaps this could be another solution.

Thank Post
    @reggiep:

Parental access with moodle is something i'm currently working on.
    I have a proof of concept working on our test server along with a email parents module.

I am currently testing the moodle permissions and what configuration is required so parents don't have access to the wrong area's.

Thank Post
    @penfold
    I have been reading your threads on sims intergration with interest. I appreciate that you are doing a lot of work and research on this and if/when you do manage to intergrate maybe I would be able to look at your paid services.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    @penfold
    I have been reading your threads on sims intergration with interest. I appreciate that you are doing a lot of work and research on this and if/when you do manage to intergrate maybe I would be able to look at your paid services.
    The components will be release open source, i just want to be sure there are not data protection issues.
    my system with use the parent email address as the username.

do you have a full complement of parental emails?

Thank Post
    Nope, I have about three!

Thank Post
    SIMS webparts is SLG2 (SIMS learning Gateway), it's basically Sharepoint with some SIMS webparts. They can read\write too, uniservity can only, currently, read.

Penfold's sims2moodle\ad, currently is accessing SQL directly, which, lets say makes most SIMS support team uneasy, as it breaks the license agreement with Capita (in short). I know Penfold is currently working on using the business model and there is, no "commerical" support, ie no telephone, sla or such currently. Something i'm looking forward to seeing.

Uniservity seems to be the baseline.

Thank Post
    @matt40k

well if if capita could understand the business model of open source it would be a help.
    They wont supply the business object documentation unless your a technical partner, to become one you need to have signed a nda. the nda is anti competitive against open souce.

If i were to become a technical partner myself i would need to fork out 5000 for the privilege, that is a non starter. I could cope with the 140 a site as that is a fee i think school would have a problem with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    I could cope with the 140 a site as that is a fee i think school would have a problem with.
    I think you need to ask for prices for uniservity \ SLG2.

Yes an opensource community for SIMS\FMS would be good. Just not sure Capita would coff up, like Microsoft did with CodePlex, Redhat did with Fedora...

Thank Post
    Penfold.... Good job fella, this might just be what everyone needs!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    One question that has been raised in advance is that uniservity will be able to link into SIMS so that parents from home will be able to view their child's reports online. I don't have a comeback for that one as I don't believe that is possible with moodle.
    The Obvious question to ask is, When ? It's not ready yet, and they have been talking about it for a while.

We also have the Uniservity as the VLE, by the same LA, although as we already had it as our website, it is full of the old Junk ... err.. information, and until we get a new website running, we can't really run Uniservity as a VLE. So this has stalled, until we get a new website running. The only thing that I have managed to get the Uniservity VLE to do to date, is import users staff and students from SIMS, and this is difficult as it gets very messy, due to the vast array of classes/forms we have.

We got SLG2 to provide this access, but as there is no-one who is really in-charge of this, it isn't happening either. It's all installed, running, etc, but it got stalled when I had another project to do.

Uniservity is difficult to use, but Moodle is a pain to setup. SLG is only really good, because you can pay Capita to set it all up for you, and be up and running within days...

The thing to do, if you think Moodle will be easier, is to set up a trial, configure all the LDAP / SIMS integration (as per penfolds). NTLM etc etc, and then a few quick sessions with selected staff on how to use it, and see which is used the most (Wirral LA will be providing limited training for Uniservity).
    Last edited by User3204; 12th June 2009 at 10:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast