+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Uniservity v's Moodle in Technical; @cybernerd. So can you give in simple terms an idea as to what the sims connection does? I thought it ...
    Thank Post
    @cybernerd.
    So can you give in simple terms an idea as to what the sims connection does?
    I thought it was just so users could see their timetable!
    I'm guessing there is more to it.
    I was thinking of giving it a go but I didn't want to go through all the procedures without knowing what I would get at the end.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    @cybernerd.
    So can you give in simple terms an idea as to what the sims connection does?
    I thought it was just so users could see their timetable!
    I'm guessing there is more to it.
    I was thinking of giving it a go but I didn't want to go through all the procedures without knowing what I would get at the end.
    1) imports sims courses into moodle, and keeps them upto date
    2) imports sims timetables into moodle (not into moodle calendar, a separate timetable module)
    3) creates ad users (not finished)
    4) allows parents to log in (not finished)

Thank Post
    Oh I see, that does sound really useful.
    Wel done Penfold for all your efforts.

Thank Post
    Well I have just had a meeting with the ICT strategy group and we are moving to Moodle!

Yippee, er hold on, that means I have to do some work. What have I done!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Well I have just had a meeting with the ICT strategy group and we are moving to Moodle!

Yippee, er hold on, that means I have to do some work. What have I done!
    Got the go ahead for Moodle last week, so we're ditching UniServity as well

Thank Post
    I can just feel the warm glow off the last few posts.

Thank Post
    *sigh* we've just been bullied into Uniservity..
    I loathe its permissions management system and LACK of any sense of style...

I wanted to use Joomla+Moodle with an AD-SSO passthrough.

I'm not an open source freak, but when it comes to VLE's or any web cms the proprietry software company's should just roll over and die imo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrej View Post
    *sigh* we've just been bullied into Uniservity..
    Your just in need of a big stick to fight back with.
    Last edited by penfold_99; 8th July 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Thank Post

Uniservity and SIMS

We have Uniservity here and the consensus here is that it is absolutely useless, hard to use and hard to engage students in interactive learning and collaboration.

I have been looking at Moodle for a while and believe it is the way to go.

There is no way to link moodle to SIMS as per the pre requiste for providing SIMS data to parents for 2010. However there are a few alternatives

Capita are offering their own hosted version since Cheshire Shared Services binned the idea of a Cheshire Hosted solution due to resources and management issues. Capita's version is based on Sharepoint and will provide instant online access to parent directly to your SIMS Server. This poses a couple of questions such as what if a teacher posts the wrong info and parents see? What increase in load on the server you have SIMS on etc.

If you have PARS then you may be aware of their solution PARS Insight. This is web based and pretty for end users and this solution I am hoping to pursuade our SLT to go for.

Uniservity, there is a module out for that soon as they too are getting on the band wagon. However the data on the website will be 24 hours old as you have a choice to synchronise the data between SIMS and Uniservity daily, weekly or monthly.

Uniservity will take a 3rd party report off SIMS and upload it to their systems. Since uniservity currently host on http and not https:// this is not the most secure system and we have no control of security. At least through County's Network we are covered by multiple layer security and our own firewall.

Uniservity released a new module that already synchs with SIMS but this is just to link usernames to students to classess to years. You must have done this synch on the day your new SIMS data went live on Sept 1st. If you have not then you need to contact uniservity and ask them to re activate the process button so that you can re query the SIMS database to get your new intake. This is the first step of the SIMS link and must be done accurately to ensure that when they release the parent module they get the right student.

You may have to manually match UPN's to Users in Uniservity depending on your data integrity.

Good Luck.

QPHS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qphs View Post
    There is no way to link moodle to SIMS as per the pre requiste for providing SIMS data to parents for 2010.
    There are a few providers offering moodle and sims integration, i have a version that meeting the March 2010 guideline and one in development to meet the September 2010. Webanywhere is another provider.

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

Parental Acess....about showing any old data or safeguarding children!!??

Right ..... happens occasionally and I am not aiming this at Penfold though reading some of the information in these forums my annoyance is travelling through my fingers onto my keyboard as it looks like companies and/or software writing individuals are not looking at the bigger picture!

Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    There are a few providers offering moodle and sims integration, i have a version that meeting the March 2010 guideline and one in development to meet the September 2010. Webanywhere is another provider.

There are only a few and even less than a few who can do it properly with two factor authentication as recommended by BECTA / Government due to IL4 information to parents and taking into consideration the welfare of pupils (something that seems to have been missed by many new 'emerging software solutions')

How about allowing SCHOOLS to decide what THEY want parents to see and to stop any issues that may occur at home.....

Do you REALLY want all unresolved behaviour to be seen by parents?
    Do you REALLY want all comments written by teachers to be seen by parents?
    Do you REALLY want parents to see all students involved in a single incident?
    Do you REALLY want split parent families to know where each other live?
    Do you REALLY want all grading data to be published prior to the date allowed......

I don't want to be someones R&D person so I am not going to list the issues I have already seen with people trying to write software and also software that is already out there which doesn't even integrate with the schools MIS! Aaaaggghhh!! Scary and Frustrating!

Schools should be looking at what their MIS and their MIS partners are providing and at least have the sound knowledge that they will be supported fully by technical teams.

Budget is always an issue in schools ... Sharepoint too costly? there ARE other options out there which you do not have to purchase Sharepoint to use - check out partners for SIMS, SERCO...whichever MIS you use and yes, you can interate data into Moodle if you speak to the right people!

This is childrens personal data for goodness sake and as a parent, I will be damned if her school allowed any company to work with school data without being associated to an MIS or Local Authority!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123