+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog, Scorm and Fuse? in Technical; We have just been supplied with our own Frog VLE (as a pilot for primaries in the LA) and I ...
    Thank Post

Frog, Scorm and Fuse?

We have just been supplied with our own Frog VLE (as a pilot for primaries in the LA) and I am looking at how to put activities on it. Went on a Fuse Creator (creating interactive resources...quite nice) and was able to create an activity and then save it as a Scorm file. Uploaded it to Frog via the New Scorm menu item which went OK but how do I run it? Just seems to throw up error telling me its not initialised. Even uploaded it in its folder format which I have on a flash drive (which it works perfectly well on) but it then tells me it needs to run a java script file? The file is there just in its own directory structure. Any help most welcome!

Thank Post

Scorm or not scorm that is the question

Frogs response to scorm packages is, let us test and approve it before you buy or else it might not work.

Our first purchased package from a mainstream educational software package provider failed to run, this is when we got to know of the above 'requirement' they will talk to the supplier, so they say, dont hold your breathe! Frog use anything free (open source) and the cheapest options if they have to buy it in, their antivirus is a freeby lol

scorm is a flexible standard anyway, i ask how the hell can it be a standard if it's so flexible it doesn't guarentee to work on all systems????

3. Thanks to rogerblue from:

TechSupp (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    At risk of being flamed until I'm black and crispy:

Frog use a SCORM engine built by a company called Icodeon - SCORM. Solutions. Now. | Icodeon SCORM 2004 Player. I believe it's the same one that's used by a number of the Becta "approved" suppliers.

It wasn't free....

Personally, I think that a company offering to test SCORM packages for you before you spend any money on them is a pretty good thing - especially given we don't ask for any payment.

You're right about SCORM - unfortunately it's more of a framework than a standard, which is why there are so many compatibility issues from one supplier to another. That said, the most common issue we find with SCORM content, however, is content suppliers not using case sensitive references to file names, which a Linux operating system requires. Typically this only takes them a couple of hours to fix.

Hope this helps

Gareth

5. Thanks to gareth.davies from:

TechSupp (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Guys, shame as Fuse allows you to produce some nice interactive activities quite quickly. I'll have a look at it a bit more when I get a bit more time!

Thank Post
    Just been to a presentation today and the school there uses Fuse and Frog with no problems it seems at all.

Thank Post
    Thanks, had a guy in from Frog today and would you believe it, when he tried it...it worked almost perfectly!!! I say almost as it did not resize and fill the screen as he said it should...but it did work so all solved. He did say they had just upgraded the scorm engine so that may have been the issue when I last tried it. Thanks for the reply anyway.

EDIT:
    Just tried it again from home and guess what no change it stil does not work! Will try again at school tomorrow!
    Must be the version of IE that it is trying to run on as I get the following results:
    Deepnet Explorer: Not Initialised message
    IE 8: Not Initialised messag
    Google Chrome: No error message but no pages displayed, yet correct message at end asking if I wanted to save my current scores!
    IE 7: Seems to work fine!

Will update if I get any more info.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 25th June 2009 at 06:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I would agree that SCORM on frog is hit and miss.

Having said that, the other three VLEs we tried also had rubbish SCORM viewers.. so its not a unique problem to frogtrade!

SCORM= nice idea that simply doesnt work!

10. Thanks to Tegwin from:

TechSupp (5th October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread