+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Kaleidos Learning Platform VLE is unavailable in Technical; Think about this if your LA is going to be the IT Contractor in BSF should they be subject to ...
    Thank Post
    Think about this if your LA is going to be the IT Contractor in BSF should they be subject to the same penalties. Definately and with financial penalties.

So if they provide a crap service and do not meet targets, will they give money back to the schools? or will they give you credits to buy more crap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    Just when I was trying to convince people to use The Kaleidos Learning Platform VLE I get The Kaleidos Learning Platform VLE is currently unavailable. And has been for all the morning
    To me, it's ALWAYS unavailable. I run a Mac at home. It is six years old and can do pretty much all else I want... but not Kaleidos... and I'm jiggered if I'm going to buy a new computer at the moment just for THAT. I'm one of the school Kaleidos team at school and yet cannot access it out of school.

So, you're convincing people to use Kaleidos? Does that mean it's one of the better ones?

Blimey.

Thank Post
    Kitsch,

Technology moves on, a 6 yr old mac? Try running Office 2007 or the up and coming Office 2010 off it? I expect it will be slow. (Don't know MACs that well but something like the latest Cubase or Cakewalk!)

Most Learning Platforms are tending to run Sharepoint 2007, this is MS's latest incarnation with Sharepoint 14 coming soon. This is powerful stuff, you're basically saying, for example, that you have a 6yr car stereo that can play Cd's but because it's 2009 it should play MP3's! Nope you will need a new machine! Technology moves on, that is the way of the world! That's how large conglomerates make money!

One of the other issues is, people expect Learning Platforms to work like they were using google! They will never be that fast due to the underlying technology, difference in things that are going on and reliance on bandwith etc! Its all about expectations!

I am sure if you dig deep enough, RM's Kaleidos has a minimum spec posted on their website, I would suspect and be inclined to think your 6yr Mac probably doesn't meet them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    Kitsch,

Technology moves on, a 6 yr old mac? Try running Office 2007 or the up and coming Office 2010 off it? I expect it will be slow. (Don't know MACs that well but something like the latest Cubase or Cakewalk!)

Most Learning Platforms are tending to run Sharepoint 2007, this is MS's latest incarnation with Sharepoint 14 coming soon. This is powerful stuff, you're basically saying, for example, that you have a 6yr car stereo that can play Cd's but because it's 2009 it should play MP3's! Nope you will need a new machine! Technology moves on, that is the way of the world! That's how large conglomerates make money!

One of the other issues is, people expect Learning Platforms to work like they were using google! They will never be that fast due to the underlying technology, difference in things that are going on and reliance on bandwith etc! Its all about expectations!

I am sure if you dig deep enough, RM's Kaleidos has a minimum spec posted on their website, I would suspect and be inclined to think your 6yr Mac probably doesn't meet them!
    Absolutely right, funkyfin, I will need a new machine sometime.... a very astute observation. It will be my 7th, I think. It's a problem that has always been there since my first 680k computer (that was the memory, not the price... though at 1200 it felt like it at the time) back in 1989.

I'm just not going to let something like Kaleidos (ESPECIALLY Kaleidos) govern when that will be (Oh, and the other thing I can't seem to be able to do is listen to bands' tracks on Myspace).
    Last edited by kitsch; 20th September 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsch View Post
    Absolutely right, funkyfin, I will need a new machine sometime.... a very astute observation. It will be my 7th, I think. It's a problem that has always been there since my first 680k computer (that was the memory, not the price... though at 1200 it felt like it at the time) back in 1989.

I'm just not going to let something like Kaleidos (ESPECIALLY Kaleidos) govern when that will be (Oh, and the other thing I can't seem to be able to do is listen to bands' tracks on Myspace).
    Kitsch,

I think the point i'm trying to get at, and as you may have illustrated in your post, is that ALL technology moves on, thats how the merry-go-round of technology life goes!

To not use Kaleidos at home (and to ultimately not upgrade your machine) just because your hardware/software doesn't work is terribly short sited IMHO. As you illustrated it would seem other things are slow/not working (not JUST Kaleidos) more than likely again due to the use of old technology, be that software or hardware. TBH, the fact Kaleidos doesn't work could be to not running the latest version of Flash!

Any how I'm not getting at you personally....just saying the pace of technology moves fast. Mind you if you kept up with pace of hardware constantly, you would have had to had won the 85mill euromillions to afford it this weekend! :-)

Give Kaleidos a go at school, take bite size chunks, take a positive outlook and things maybe different? If the whole world was run by pessimists where would we be?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    Kitsch,

I think the point i'm trying to get at, and as you may have illustrated in your post, is that ALL technology moves on, thats how the merry-go-round of technology life goes!

To not use Kaleidos at home (and to ultimately not upgrade your machine) just because your hardware/software doesn't work is terribly short sited IMHO. As you illustrated it would seem other things are slow/not working (not JUST Kaleidos) more than likely again due to the use of old technology, be that software or hardware. TBH, the fact Kaleidos doesn't work could be to not running the latest version of Flash!

Any how I'm not getting at you personally....just saying the pace of technology moves fast. Mind you if you kept up with pace of hardware constantly, you would have had to had won the 85mill euromillions to afford it this weekend! :-)

Give Kaleidos a go at school, take bite size chunks, take a positive outlook and things maybe different? If the whole world was run by pessimists where would we be?
    Pessimists? Oh, I couldn't agree more. When I did our faculty website three years ago, I met with my fair share of skepticism, but now it is even written into the faculty development plan.

Ha ha... I AM doing Kaleidos at school! Just having Kaleidos at school is more than enough. When it was introduced, I was asked to be a 'champion', something I do reluctantly.

As a Technology teacher, Kaleidos is a bit of an overkill; I function quite happily with my own little site (which I inform people about and they have full access to...it contains the faculty-produced sheets which everyone uses) for keeping ks3 worksheets and schemes of work together, keystage3.info, along with my faculty one lordbills.com, my one for my yr 11 group from last year yr11.info and my yr 10 one I have started for this year, yr10.info.

They are nothing clever, but I don't want 'clever'... I want something that does exactly what I want. Kaleidos just gives me the same thing in a lot more stages and a whole lot more which just isn't actually relevant in my particular subject areas.

What I do is the equivalent of taking a hatchback to the supermarket for my weekly shop: perfect for the job, easy to manouvre. Kaleidos is like having to drive an articulated lorry for the same trip.

Re: my computer, I think I can live with not getting bands' demos on Myspace, but that may change if I suddenly find I can't live without listening to moody teenagers holed up in garage somewhere with a sixpack of lager, a fuzz box and an Argos drumkit.

I'm enjoying this conversation, but this is my last post on the subject as it has become not really relevant to the topic and not what people have clicked on here to see. Please feel free to message me, though, or whatever people do on these forum things!
    Last edited by kitsch; 21st September 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Thank Post
    I think maybe Insular is the key word here. Glass half full, or half empty?

Certainly no wider vision for collaboration IMO.

But the world would be boring if we were all the same!
    Last edited by funkyfin2000; 21st September 2009 at 04:37 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12