+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LGFL MLE - This made me soooooo angry. in Technical; Originally Posted by russdev As for moodle in fact moodle its self is not allowed but the fact that moodle ...
    Thank Post

Re: LGFL MLE - This made me soooooo angry.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    As for moodle in fact moodle its self is not allowed but the fact that moodle dosnt have any finacial history that stops its bidding...
    Which is daft as it's entire 'business model' negates the need for major financing. What do we have to do to prove that you don't need to throw money at a problem in order to fix it?

Thank Post

What annoys me is the idea that a DIY solution is touted as "too technical". WTF do they think we're here for?

Cue muttering about 6K + 2K yearly for a hosted SIMS VLE. Why yes, actually I _do_ have reservations about your external webserver talking to my SIMS server that holds our finance data.

If a DIY solution does what the _school_ needs, there's no need for further discussion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lancashire and Cumbria GFL's have deployed Moodle btw. :P
    Open Univeristy has also chosen Moodle.

Thank Post

Interesting to note that they quote the Open University as an informed source in their document and then, as Geoff has mentioned, ignore the fact that Moodle has become their VLE of choice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

A little bit of history with regards to OU and Moodle.

The OU have been using a commercial solution for many years, FirstClass (owned by Open Text) ... but they are given an almost free rein with the code for it.

They already spend a sizeable amount re-developing and existing commercial solution and the move to redeveloping an open source solution will actually work out cheaper for them in the log run.

A large chunk of the costs of development is not based around working with Moodle but looking into provider and alternative to the email facilities the FirstClass already provides. Also there are maigration costs.

Having worked closely with Open Text (FirstClass is our existing email and VLE solution) I am aware that commercial VLEs also require investment to be developed for schools ... this is one reason why we will eventually move away from FirstClass ourselves ... but we will be moving to a Learning Gateway based system for most things (part of a group collaboration between several schools), but will also have available other solutions ... Moodle and Joomla being the main ones.

Most VLEs can done DIY. I know of several EduGeek members that have setup chunks of LG on their own ... other have Moodle ... heck ... even Bodington (the VLE originally built by University of Leeds, now developed by University of Leeds, UHI, Oxford and Eton College ... and definitely not the northern beverage) gets used.

TCOs can be made to show every possible eventuallity ... they are another form of statistics. Part of this strikes me as an RBC / LA trying to cover their tracks because they are going to be spending more money than they need to on a solution that they think works but people at the chalkface know won't work.

Thank Post

Thanks Tony for the OU background.

What people miss about the TCO is the cost of support. You would have to pay an absolute fortune to get the equivalent support of the Moodle community.

It was interesting at the Moodlemoot last year where an Oxford University speaker, talking about Bodington, confessed that a number of departments had set up their own Moodle systems for the extra features and in order to get control for themselves! At the time Bodington had blogs and Moodle didn't. That appeared to be the only thing in it's favour.

However if Bodington had had an extra "D" in the spelling I might have changed my mind But then again it has got stronger over the years, changed it's colour, got taken over by Interbrew, then they closed down the brewery.....don't get me started.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mighty.grey.eagle
    Thanks Tony for the OU background.

What people miss about the TCO is the cost of support. You would have to pay an absolute fortune to get the equivalent support of the Moodle community.

It was interesting at the Moodlemoot last year where an Oxford University speaker, talking about Bodington, confessed that a number of departments had set up their own Moodle systems for the extra features and in order to get control for themselves!
    I think that this is surely at least one thing in moodle's favour, the fact that we actually have a real life usergroup. How many other VLE's do you know other schools that are using it. I feel that the LGFL digitalbrain is someones pet project and they can't see past it. The document says that they are trying to create transferable skills, and yet the only place that uses digitalbrain is the LGFL, whee as moodle is used world wide. It's a shame there are no hard numbers on the number of installs of each VLE.

Oh well that politics.

Regards

Budgester

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Digital Brain is also used by E2BN ... and a number of other places ...

Whether it is used successfully or not is another matter. (I know of one sales rep who has left Digital Brain after he becames so frustrated that the work he was doing with schools was not being backed up by the quality of the product ... he has been very apologetic to every school he came in contact with.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I believe some catholic schools in this area use it, too.

Thank Post

Essex LEA does have a VLE 'project' underway. Some secondary schools are participating - we are not as we would have to pay for it. Moodle is a low cost alternative to those being sold commercially and we had no choice but to go down this route since are budgets are so tight. We are developing Moodle on a local web server that has a secure public facing IP. If the internet goes down, we will be able to access the Intranet and VLE. When it is up, then those and the website will be available on the Internet. Moodle currently fulfills all of our needs and we will use this to embed the VLE culture into the school whilst the 'political' aspects are being sorted - this of course means that we will have to pay commercial prices rather than open source 'costs' at some point. Why is it that commercial interests will always succeed against the open source alternatives? Rhetorical of course!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

Having seen Digital Brain and its full concept at one or two RC schools round here up t'north the feelin all round is that the software is inflexible and hard to work with. Why, because they try to make it teacher centric so the software has to be complex to make the actual content events simple for the teachers to understand how to use it. It would bwe more practical if the software engineers used children for their building of the software. This would make it both practical and teacher centric at the same time and leave us techies to get on with real work instead of scanning documents in to allow teachers free time to scout for holidays and the like on the internet.

Thank Post

From the linked page at http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/sections/learningplatform/

The winning concept was that staff and students should have a "digital brain". An online place where users could store their work, manage their email, check their dairy and create content.
    I didn't realise there were so many dairy farmers in London. Still, that looks like quite a useful feature. :-k

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

yeah, the entire document is packed full of spelling mistakes, typos and incorrect information - A sure sign that no thought went into it at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

I don't do digital brains, but I do Pocket Brains (my PDA, I always call it my Pocket Brain)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@bossman: Cynical this close to the holidays?

I've looked at several VLEs including Capita's/Moodle/Teknical(Serco) all have good and bad points and of course two of them cost quite a bit having said that I can understand a few people reluctance to go down the moodle route because (although it does have a great support community) of the fact it's not sold as a commerical product. This has happened before with Sun's StarOffice in the 90's where they decided to start selling it cheaply so that companies would buy it same for linux as well. However I have set up Moodle here to play with and I know of a "local" College that will do support for it so if we really get into trouble support is there is a place to call. Add to that their excellent support at Moodle.org and you have a real winner shame not every LEA uses it!

Capita also supply Learning Gateway as well as a VLE which means you can publish the data yourself on your own server and never see it leave your control. You do need SharePoint for this though and an external connector license (Which aren't cheap) but still that would be cheaper than their VLE and it gives you more freedom.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast