+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog v3 I think in Technical; Its worth considering that the first year is expensive because you have to outright buy the product.... We calculated that ...

Thank Post
    Its worth considering that the first year is expensive because you have to outright buy the product....

We calculated that RMs Kaleidos and FROG would cost us the same over a 4-5 year period... and after that (assuming frog prices stay the same) we will be paying less than for Kaleidos..

No, frog is not a perfect product and has many bugs/flaws etc... BUT.. and here is the cruical point...

It took us over a year to begin to integrate kaleidos into the school because it is so utterly rubbish....

In a few weeks we had frog to the same position.... and now several months down the line its become part of the school system, kids and staff want to use it and amazingly, even the less computer savvy staff can get on and build pages or at the very least add content..

The features frog are developing will only add to a fantastic product which is endlessly customisable....

No product is perfect but I know we are more than happy with frog at the moment! (assuming they continue to develop the software and fix the issues we have highlighted)...[worth noting that their technical guys are fantastic...very busy as the company is expanding too fast for them to keep up with, but fantastic none the less!]

Thank Post
    It may be expensive, but that isn't in itself a reason not to look. If it will get used more than other VLEs and can offer things (incl. ease of use) which other VLEs can't, then maybe it is money well spent? It is like the cost justification for anything else - cheapest does not always mean best, or most suitable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegwin View Post
    (assuming they continue to develop the software and fix the issues we have highlighted)...[worth noting that their technical guys are fantastic...very busy as the company is expanding too fast for them to keep up with, but fantastic none the less!]
    We have had the Frog trainer leave and over the summer the Frog manager who was our contact has also left Frog. We have had issues as well but the fix for them does not seem to come that quickley at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    We have had the Frog trainer leave
    Frog trainer? Is that like a lion tamer, but less dangerous?

Thank Post
    Its worth considering that the first year is expensive because you have to outright buy the product....

We calculated that RMs Kaleidos and FROG would cost us the same over a 4-5 year period... and after that (assuming frog prices stay the same) we will be paying less than for Kaleidos..
    We evaluated 5 packages and, over a 5 year period, Frog was the 3rd most expensive - and significantly less than Kaleidos. Perhaps it's because we're a large school and Kaleidos et. al. charge per user per year.
    We haven't got it yet though.

What I don't understand is why students even need to load files into Frog in the first place. Why can't it just link to their networked home directory?

Thank Post
    RM/kaleidos obviously just pick prices out of thin air...

The data storage charges they were asking us to pay were a joke.... cant remeber the exact figure but it was something around 50p per Mb/year ..... Which is a joke, especially considering how long it took to download the files back to the school....

As someone mentioned before, the cheapest is not always the best, and I dont for a moment want to suggest that frog is perfect, mereley it met our requirements and so far (appart from a few minor issues) has met or exceeded our expectations.... RM failed to even meet our basic expectations!

As for the student files...

It DOES link to their network "home directory" Kids can save work in lessons to their "my documents" on the network as they always have done, and then go home and open them up via frog to continue working on them...

The only time the kids would need to upload a document actually on to the frog server is if they either want to hand the work in to a teacher, or share it with their peers.

The fact that frog has active directory integration means that the kids only need to remeber one password.... which we all will know is not something to be sneered at!

7. Thanks to Tegwin from:

eean (6th October 2009)

Thank Post
    As for the student files...

It DOES link to their network "home directory" Kids can save work in lessons to their "my documents" on the network as they always have done, and then go home and open them up via frog to continue working on them...
    Only if the authority allow this to be done and our does not :-(
    As for passwords although it may link to AD as a primary we do not have individual passwords.

P.S. When I mentioned Frog Trainer I meant the trainer who was supposed to help us all through the learning process of getting it up and running. A frog trainer would be something totally different, along the lines of Ripping Yarns "Crossing the Andes by Frog" if you're old enough to remember Ripping Yarns, if not Google it for a laugh, Michael Palin at his best.

Thank Post

Hi

Hi
    I Am new to edugeek but i would first like to say what a great forum it is

Now frog,
    I had it at a school i worked at before and i must say it is excellent, i want frog trade to release a cms system that works like frog bricks/toolkit. Anyway i have moved to another school and i am trying to persuade SM that we need a vle and frog is the best option, anyway i don't want to jump straight in and call frog but i would like to show SM the frog demo, only problem is is that frogdemo.com's password has changed i don't want to call because im not even a 100% sure that SM ill even want to invest in a VLE until i show them what it can do.

Can Anyone help with a login?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Just bang in a few guesses, took me 4 attempts.

11. Thanks to danIT from:

bossman (21st October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    Just bang in a few guesses, took me 4 attempts.
    That's frog for you :-)

Thank Post
    I think you only need a selection of 3 or 4 usernames/password combos to access many many Frog Sites. Perhaps I should email them about that ....

Thank Post

Hi

Thanks all for your fast replies
    I have Tried lots combination's

IE

Teacher and dem*

Teacher And Bull****

admin and bull***

but still none seem to work i know the second of mine was the one when i introduced frog into my previous school.

Any Suggestions?

Thank Post
    Very useful to see all these posts about Frog, we are seriously interested and nice to see that it is not a perfect product. I guess the big boost is, its constantly being developed.

If people are still having problems, hopefully you can say

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12