+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, How are you using Fronter? in Technical; Last time I tried, a few months back, Fronter was auto stripping iframe and embed tags entered in the source ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last time I tried, a few months back, Fronter was auto stripping iframe and embed tags entered in the source view. Back to clever use of slow loading nested tables to get anything half decent out of Fronter as far as I can see.

edit: I've not tried, but can you upload html format pages into fronter using the normal file upload process? Would this then display the page correctly without stripping tags?
    Last edited by tmcd35; 14th May 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    The logic is that the pages one can make with Fronter are simple, ugly and clunky.
    It's easy enough (when it's working) to just set up a Fronter page with an iFrame and use a better authoring programme to fill in the content.

Steve
    Why not just make a website and not lock it into Fronter?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallgo View Post
    Well I'm wanting the best of both orlds I guess - the individualised bit (my today and quizzes etc) but also want it to look nice.

I'm wondering how this nested tables thing works.. maybe I could try that...
    I'd also like to figure out how that demo GCSE ICT site (referred to earlier in this thread) works... it seems just to be a website hosted in the resources folder. Clicking in the index brings it up. When I make a simple page in iWeb and save it to a folder in thre resources section on ours, clicking the index file just brings up a blank white page.

Any idea how they got it working on that site?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GenieNitro View Post
    Well I'm wanting the best of both orlds I guess - the individualised bit (my today and quizzes etc) but also want it to look nice.

I'm wondering how this nested tables thing works.. maybe I could try that...
    I'd also like to figure out how that demo GCSE ICT site (referred to earlier in this thread) works... it seems just to be a website hosted in the resources folder. Clicking in the index brings it up. When I make a simple page in iWeb and save it to a folder in thre resources section on ours, clicking the index file just brings up a blank white page.

Any idea how they got it working on that site?

Steve

Here's a link to what I'm currently working on. The basis of our new school homepage...

http://www.hobart.norfolk.sch.uk/webfronter

Created entirely with nested tables. Visit the site and view the source. The code is not pretty, but serves a purpose.

I want staff other than myself to be able to very easily update contents. Play to the lowest common denominator. They all have Fronter accounts. They all know how to use a word processor. They can all edit and update the pages once I've set them up.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 14th May 2009 at 11:07 PM.

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Face-Man (15th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Here's a link to what I'm currently working on. The basis of our new school homepage...

Created entirely with nested tables. Visit the site and view the source. The code is not pretty, but serves a purpose.

I want staff other than myself to be able to very easily update contents. Play to the lowest common denominator. They all have Fronter accounts. They all know how to use a word processor. They can all edit and update the pages once I've set them up.
    OK, I'm afraid I'm not to good with html so I don't really understand how that works.

Does anyone think this snipping of iframes is something that can be turned on or off by the administrator? (ours is a central fellow working at the borough). I'm a little suspicious as one of his colleagues Emailed me complementing me on how good out Google calendar looked on the staffroom page and enquiring how I did it. I replied that it was an embedded Google calendar and the very next morning it stopped working, along with my other iframe embedded pages.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, perhaps it's a coincidence...

Steve

Thank Post

Fairy nuff....I scrapped Fronter as it was cack, have set up a Moodle instead.

Nice little page you have (though I'd spell 'Governors' right if I were you!)

Thank Post
    Does anyone think this snipping of iframes is something that can be turned on or off by the administrator? (ours is a central fellow working at the borough). I'm a little suspicious as one of his colleagues Emailed me complementing me on how good out Google calendar looked on the staffroom page and enquiring how I did it. I replied that it was an embedded Google calendar and the very next morning it stopped working, along with my other iframe embedded pages
    Fronter does strip code. I surprised it was working at all. I've tried to stop stripping code (there is a code for the LA) but it still removes potentially dangerous code.

I've just got the google calendar in a room using "user defined tool" for the rooms tool pack cutting the URL from the embed code and pasting it. The scaling is crap but the calendar is there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    That's because it's not been created in Fronter. If you notice the icon at the top of the room tool packages it's a link. This link goes to the resources folder were there is a folder called ICT website with all the code in (ready to be adapted). Interesting approach !! I may have to give it a try myself sometime soon.

You can see the website here http://www.parliamenthill.camden.sch...ite/index.html
    Ok, so how do they make the external page the room's front page?

I notice that the 'welcome' frontapge just seems to have nothing but an 'index.html' link on it. I guess this must somehow be auto opening when the page is chosen (without having to click the link) thus upening the external site as the home instead...

So has anyone any idea how to do that?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a guess (not tried it out)...

Customise the rooms tool package
    add a 'user-defined button' pointing at your URL of choice
    move the new button to the top of your rooms tool package

Whichever button is at the top of the tool package is that rooms home page.

EDIT: Just tested the above and it *IS* how it was done. I've just www.google.com as the welcome page in one of our rooms

EDIT-2: More testing. The user defined button actually opens *ANY* webpage within a iFrame within Fronter. It doesn't open webpages in a new tab/window as you'd first expect. Just by being at the top makes it the rooms default welcome page, thus auto opens.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 15th May 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Thank Post

Excellent! Thanks very much, that works brilliantly!

I feel like I'm back in control of how the place looks!

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ooops, should have noticed this before. When you create the button there is a tick box for opening in new window instead of an iFrame. This feature could be very useful!

Thank Post

EDIT: Just tested the above and it *IS* how it was done. I've just Google as the welcome page in one of our rooms

EDIT-2: More testing. The user defined button actually opens *ANY* webpage within a iFrame within Fronter. It doesn't open webpages in a new tab/window as you'd first expect. Just by being at the top makes it the rooms default welcome page, thus auto opens.

So I've designed a new front page in iWeb.. have included some google gadgets and a google calendar... used a nice wallpaper and some attractive boxes. Definitely much more pleasing to the eye than my previous page. Just made a user defined button pointing to the page (hosted on the school's webspace), moved it to the top of the tools list and voila!

Now I can do this am feeling much happier with Fronter...

Now all I need is for them to improve their rubbishy file management systems!

Steve

Thank Post
    I am just setting up a primary school in Fronter and would like to share pages with others by using the import and export tools. Has any one succesfully exported a page including the front page section? I would like to be able to create a bank of pages that others can use as templates to get them started. My authority has one so far accessible via my admin account- so I need to need to take some action.

Also does anyone have banks of suitable clip art/pictures images for building? Our trainer said surf the net- I'd prefer a more organised bank of images that could be shared and save us all time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malph View Post
    I am just setting up a primary school in Fronter and would like to share pages with others by using the import and export tools. Has any one succesfully exported a page including the front page section? I would like to be able to create a bank of pages that others can use as templates to get them started. My authority has one so far accessible via my admin account- so I need to need to take some action.

Also does anyone have banks of suitable clip art/pictures images for building? Our trainer said surf the net- I'd prefer a more organised bank of images that could be shared and save us all time.
    Unfortunately the Import/export tool is not as good as it should be in fronter at present and doesn't copy the links correct that are used for things such as images and files (hopefully soon to be resolved).

The best way to setup room templates for staff to use is to use the copy room tool. This can be done by creating a new room and on the drop down selecting a room you would like to copy as that room. Staff will just need rights to access the templates.

As for clip art there are loads of websites out there with clip art on

ie
    WPClipart top thumbnail page
    Open Clip Art Library Drawing Together
    or for stock photos

stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site

16. 2 Thanks to Face-Man:

leco (27th September 2009), Malph (28th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Faceman,
    I guess I'll have to wait, I was hoping to be able to share some topic pages with other schools- say get a group working on different topic pages so you could share some of the tedious work in setting up pages for more specific areas such as year 6 maths term 1 sequencing.
    I found the link to gonville school that you'd posted on another thread to be a really good model setting up the structure for a two form entry primary school. They had used forums really well and I will be setting up templates based on this.

Is there any way to turn off "User must change the password at the next login". I don't want to do this individually for 437 pupils, I just want to keep my original set of passwords set up by Fronter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast