+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Uniservity in Technical; Interesting that so many people have created brand new accounts to sing Uniservity's praises - it must be good!...
    Thank Post
    Interesting that so many people have created brand new accounts to sing Uniservity's praises - it must be good!

2. 8 Thanks to sahmeepee:

Alprimo (7th May 2009), CyberNerd (7th May 2009), Dos_Box (7th May 2009), gwendes (7th May 2009), KarlGoddard (7th May 2009), reggiep (12th May 2009), rosswilson (8th May 2009), Soulfish (7th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Also it doesn't say very much for the programming skills of the uniservity team. If they can't get something as basic as this right then you have to wonder how bad the back end is.
    (it's so bad that they are re-writing the entire back-end, or so they told us)
    I have to say that after seeing the Uniservity technical presentation I was very unimpressed with their backend setup, and it did explain why it can be so slow to do anything with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Also it doesn't say very much for the programming skills of the uniservity team. If they can't get something as basic as this right then you have to wonder how bad the back end is.
    (it's so bad that they are re-writing the entire back-end, or so they told us)
    I though someone here said they were going to use Moodle?

Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    Interesting that so many people have created brand new accounts to
    sing Uniservity's praises - it must be good!
    Not that anyone here would say UniServity would do such a thing!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    Interesting that so many people have created brand new accounts to sing Uniservity's praises - it must be good!
    I did notice that/

We have it - staff don't like it and I don't think enough resources are on there to have even received feedback from students...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    From what I've heard you'll be able to imbed moodle into University but that's about it

Thank Post
    I heard they're moving over to a Moodle framework.

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k
    Not that anyone here would say UniServity would do such a thing!!
    What? I don't think any company would ever do anything like that...

LOL!

Thank Post
    The moodle thing has been clarified. They are creating blocks/links/hooks/magic so other learning platforms can link into them and they can link into other platforms. They are not changing their platform. Well except for a grand roadmap they have for the future.

We were going to use it but had huge concerns about using an offsite platform for all our resources. This has been partly vindicated by an outage/slowdown of the internet over a few days that would have absolutley shafted us if we had everything external.

Having fiddled I would say it was all right, I can see primaries loving it if their teachers have the time to fill it in. Secondaries if they don't have the man power, time or inclination to fiddle with something to their liking may also benefit. But just about everything I saw could be done with sharepoint & add ons or through moodle, with the added benefit of having complete control of it.

Thank Post
    Moodle + Uniservity post:

Uniservity + Moodle

Thank Post
    No spam protection then.

[rant]
    Also, may just be me, but I like something that actually reads the rule book and follows it, ie uses valid HTML. Surely it looks bad when you're teaching (ok only really applys for secondaries) web design and you say about valid code when your own website\VLE doesn't obey the rules.
    [/rant]

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomePage.asp?GroupId=153269 - W3C Markup Validator
    Any focus on issues regarding html is the tiniest of details. The point is that the vast majority of any learning platform users are teachers, of all subjects, not just ICT. A learning platform is not intended as a discrete ICT tool, but as a teaching and learning tool across the entire curriculum. That's why the teachers I've worked with love the blogs, wikis, forums etc that are built into the system. If you wish to fiddle with html, there are tools that you can use to teach it.

A learning platform is for learning in all areas. That's why the simple approach works so well in this case, and that's why the more techically adept don't like it, as it isn't what they're used to. It isn't intended to be, and its not necessarily aimed at the secondary ICT technicians. The market for this is teachers who want a really useful tool to use in the classroom.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattboot View Post
    Any focus on issues regarding html is the tiniest of details. The point is that the vast majority of any learning platform users are teachers, of all subjects, not just ICT. A learning platform is not intended as a discrete ICT tool, but as a teaching and learning tool across the entire curriculum. That's why the teachers I've worked with love the blogs, wikis, forums etc that are built into the system. If you wish to fiddle with html, there are tools that you can use to teach it.

A learning platform is for learning in all areas. That's why the simple approach works so well in this case, and that's why the more techically adept don't like it, as it isn't what they're used to. It isn't intended to be, and its not necessarily aimed at the secondary ICT technicians. The market for this is teachers who want a really useful tool to use in the classroom.
    Sorry, I still don't accept it as a valid answer. Wordpress can make a simple easy blogging tool which is XHTML valid. Moodle can make a simple easy tool that the end product is valid code. The list goes on.

Thank Post
    That's why the teachers I've worked with love the blogs, wikis, forums etc that are built into the system.
    When we were suffering with Uniservity (a few years ago) my teachers hated it and I had about three regular users. All of our departments use Moodle.

Our experiences: Uniservity Solutions - run away screaming.

They may have improved their approach, but judging by the sock puppetting going on here, I very much doubt it.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I still don't accept it as a valid answer. Wordpress can make a simple easy blogging tool which is XHTML valid. Moodle can make a simple easy tool that the end product is valid code. The list goes on.
    The point is that the vast majority of teachers in any sector don't need nor want to use the code. None of the other tools come with the quality and amount of extra resources/ projects that Uniservity does. Try an audit of your staff expertise in ICT. Make sure you ask them this:
    1. Do you want all the online tools in one place, or do you want to use several different tools
    2. Will you edit any html, or will you use a WYSIWYG editor?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    None of the other tools come with the quality and amount of extra resources/ projects that Uniservity does.
    I almost choked on my mint polo
    We gave up uniservity because of its lack of resources, poor quality and lack of integration !
    The quality of their code really does matter - it's got nothing to do with whether teachers use the code it's just an example of how badly thought through the whole project is.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 7th May 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Thank Post
    @Gibbo
    I found it's easier to ask them to come see you then re-write it with them and code from scratch.

The point is that the vast majority of teachers in any sector don't need nor want to use the code.
    99% of staff and pupils use WYSIWYG editors or BBcode, why doesn't UniServity make there's WYSIWYG editors and\or BBcode html valid. I'll leave it to the others to comment as to the reason why it (currently) doesn't.
    Last edited by matt40k; 7th May 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    why doesn't UniServity make there's WYSIWYG editors and\or BBcode html valid. I'll leave it to the others to comment as to the reason why it (currently) doesn't.
    Because they don't realise that once they have the lucrative Becta deal, it doesn't matter if they hook in a well written OpenSource application like moodle - they'd rather spend money on re-inventing the wheel, over and over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast