+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, E-Portfolio's in Technical; Hi, I've setup Moodle with our school which many staff and students have begun to use. One drawback though is ...

Thank Post

E-Portfolio's

Hi,

I've setup Moodle with our school which many staff and students have begun to use. One drawback though is that each student doesn't have an area within moodle to upload files, create text, blog etc Everything a student uploads or writes is related to a specific course, asignment or activity.

Is there a platform (like Moodle i.e that I can download and install on our webserver) that will allow each student to login and have access to there own mini-site where they can create links, blogs, posts and upload files to create an online e-portfolio of their work. It would also be great if teachers could login and post comments giving the students feedback.

I've had a look at wordpress but the problem is that for each student I would need to install a seperate instance of wordpress rather than them merely having their own login and area.

The features I need are:

- be able to run in windows server 2003 running IIS6, PHP and MYSQL 5
    - be able to authenticate users usings active directory using LDAP
    - users to create their own links, posts and upload files

What I would like:

- some integration with Moodle
    - users to post comments on each others articles

Cheers,

Nick

Thank Post
    Sounds like you want to install forum software to me... eg: Invisionboard latest version has forums, blogs, galleries... can authenticate via LDAP against AD... allows you to add links etc to individual user's profile pages etc.

Thank Post
    Sounds like you are after Mahara - Not tried it myself but it is the recommended E-portfolio to sit alongside Moodle. Integration is limited at the moment, but significant inroads in this direction are expected for Moodle 2.0

Home - mahara.org

Thank Post
    I agree that Mahara would do the job great but Mahara doesn't really run on windows though apparently. Pupils can blog on Moodle however, through their profile and can upload files to there. but the default Moodle blog isn't up to much. As a simple file uploading and sharing area you could have a look at the filemanager plugin to moodle Moodle.org: Modules and plugins

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember the perfect package at one point was Moodle + ELGG + Drupal + Zope ... but only ever saw one built.

Thank Post
    Interested to hear from anyone else using ELGG

As far as a system to use with Moodle to provide students personal sites - have you looked at SharePoint? Plenty of schools are using SharePoint with Moodle, and there is some integration via SharePoint web parts for Moodle. Worth a look I would say....

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I've tried installing Mahara but ran into difficulties since it's designed for Linux. Elgg looks awesome but again it's Linux only.

Are there any similar platforms to these that will run on Windows Server 2003??

I was also thinking of creating the ePortfolios within Moodle. To do this I could setup a course category called 'ePortfolios' and within this category creat a course for each student. The course would then effectively act as their ePortfolio where they could upload files, add text, images etc. Theoretically this would work. Can anyone see any problems with this or any suggestions on how to organise it.

Cheers,

Nick

Thank Post

fine

I know quite a few schools who do this (make students teachers in a course where they can upload their own stuff) and they seem quite happy with it. You would have to decide who could see it - ie, would only the student and their teacher see it or could others access it to view it ? Would it have a life after the student left- and if so would you download all courses or keep it archived on your Moodle?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information