+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Can any one recommend languages SCORM content? in Technical; Hi Everyone, Our MFL Department are looking for some good SCORM content to go on our VLE we already have ...
    Thank Post

Can any one recommend languages SCORM content?

Hi Everyone,

Our MFL Department are looking for some good SCORM content to go on our VLE we already have the Birchfield stuff but they don't rate it so are looking for something else. Can anyone recommend anything? (free or paid for)

Thanks

Lucy

Thank Post

have you tried..

linguascope? They do a package where teachers can generate their own questions in various fun formats which then save as SCORM and can be uploaded to VLEs. Also worth checking out the content generator SCORM activities - not MFL specific but widely used by MFL teachers. Both these involve the teachers generating the materials themselves though, rather than ready made.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    For languages:

I'd Recommend Hotpotatoes:
    SCORM 1.2 in Hot Potatoes

The heinemann expo/electro SCORM content is great (flash programs)
    Expo Electro

fling the teacher is free:
    ContentGenerator.net - create your own Educational Flash games

I suppose boardworks, you can repackage the ppt files as SCORM, pitty they are still ppt though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I suppose boardworks, you can repackage the ppt files as SCORM, pitty they are still ppt though.
    They now sell the VLE SCORM compliant boardworks.

Thank Post

yes but..

are they any good? The boardworks VLE SCORM compliant stuff. I mean - do they have interactive quizzes that will work in your VLE gradebook to make it worth while - or is it simply a case of the VLE records that a student has had a look at them -which isn't that big a deal? Anyone read this blog post by the way? Changing the game?: Schools get treated with scorm by content providers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlife View Post
    are they any good? The boardworks VLE SCORM compliant stuff. I mean - do they have interactive quizzes that will work in your VLE gradebook to make it worth while - or is it simply a case of the VLE records that a student has had a look at them -which isn't that big a deal? Anyone read this blog post by the way? Changing the game?: Schools get treated with scorm by content providers
    To be honest i think their just packaged tagged powerpoints to easily upload to your VLE - I don't think it records any data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suppose it comes down to what you think of as SCORM.

Some view it as a way of packaging a learning object to make it easy to assign on a VLE that relies on SCORM. Some like it to bundle multiple objects into a unit of work in the same way that some might use the course management side of Moodle to bundle a unit of work as a course. Some just see it as a way of bundling everything together to drop it into a VLE. And some use it to assign learning objects which can then be returned to the teacher with a mark or the teacher can mark and give a grade to a student.

SCORM compliant means different things to different people on different VLEs.

Thank Post
    WE are looking for prepared content to save our staff some time. We looked at the boardworks stuff but because it was powerpoint based we did not go for it (we see the VLE as a way for providing home access to course materials and a large portion of our students don't have office at home making the content un-viewable)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyWalshaw View Post
    WE are looking for prepared content to save our staff some time. We looked at the boardworks stuff but because it was powerpoint based we did not go for it (we see the VLE as a way for providing home access to course materials and a large portion of our students don't have office at home making the content un-viewable)
    We liked the idea of Powerpoints as it allowed our staff to intergrate some of the Boardwork slides / activities into their own Powerpoints. Teachers here do not teach directly from boardworks just from small chunks at a time.

I suppose you could always convert them to .pdf etc for your students although obvioussly the interactive side will be lossed.

Thank Post
    I beleive there is some expo stuff for VLEs. I believe it comprises of Teacher Presentation Pack and Pupil Activity Packs.

Teacher Presentations are not just powerpoints and the pupil activities are flash based activities with sound and movies.

Look quite good.

Link to free preview here: http://www.heinemann.co.uk/Series/Se.../Software.aspx
    Last edited by danIT; 22nd April 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Link added

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    They now sell the VLE SCORM compliant boardworks.
    They are hardly 'VLE compliant' - the boardworks is still just a powerpoint in a SCORM zip.
    They charged us £20 per subject for that (it takes about 10 minutes work to repack a ppt file !)
    Their product would clearly be more impressive if boardworks just scrapped the ppt wrapper and used their flash files directly on the VLE. Teachers could still use parts of the presentation, and could copy and paste flash and other content into their own presentations. I think boardworks just don't have the technical expertise to change from ppt.

Thank Post
    I agree about the boardwork stuff very disappointing...

Do take a look at some of this though. It has some easily adaptable templates to allow resources to be but on to a learning platform. (and some guides to how to get a picture at a reasonable resolution for the web)

e-Templates

All this seem to have been created in

FrontPage - eXe : eLearning XHTML editor

but

Xerte - Open Source E-Learning Developer Tools

also looks very good

edit:
    I've just found this http://yauthor.com/ctrl.php/portal/ as well
    Last edited by Face-Man; 24th April 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: new link

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread