+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LP+ Usernames in Technical; Hi Guys, We're finally starting to make some headway at my school with the LP+ VLE with some material uploaded ...

Thank Post

LP+ Usernames

Hi Guys,

We're finally starting to make some headway at my school with the LP+ VLE with some material uploaded and the sites setup. We are now ready to give our year 11's their usernames and passwords to start using the system.

The problem giving the usernames out. I want to create a mailmaerge using Sims that will conatin student name, form, their new VLE username, password and email address. The spreadsheet LP+ provides is in the following format:

AccountName Forename Surname Password Email

Does anyone know anyway I can automate the creation of letters rather than copying and pasting the details into over 1000 letters to studentS?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

:-)

Thank Post
    Without the use of a primary/foreign key between the two data sets I don't know how you could do this unless the names are unique within the dataset, IE, there is only one John Smith.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hillskill View Post
    Hi Guys,

We're finally starting to make some headway at my school with the LP+ VLE with some material uploaded and the sites setup. We are now ready to give our year 11's their usernames and passwords to start using the system.

The problem giving the usernames out. I want to create a mailmaerge using Sims that will conatin student name, form, their new VLE username, password and email address. The spreadsheet LP+ provides is in the following format:

AccountName Forename Surname Password Email

Does anyone know anyway I can automate the creation of letters rather than copying and pasting the details into over 1000 letters to studentS?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

:-)

Are your LP+ usernames based around UPN?

If so export your list from SIMS, stick it next to the LP+ list in excel, a quick formula to compare the username (LP+) & UPN (SIMS), correct any errors.

Once that's done just mailmerge away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LP+ usernames for students are based around the first 2 characters of first name, the first 2 characters of family name followed by an incrementing number.

The closest I can suggest (and will shortly check for you) is that the order of return is the same as the order of input. That way you should be able to just match the columns up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The order is not completely correct to the order you sent it across (due to the odd user not provisioning properly and having to go through again) but it should be close. You may need to add some extra rows / cells in to get it to match.

The other option is to give the helpdesk a call (0870 609 4405) and talk things through to see what you can get out of the system. Fresh provisioning should now include UPN and year as well as a help to others going through the same.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread