Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Learning gateway and MIS integration Help in Technical; Hi to all at EduGeek, this is my first post, I have been getting help from this forum sincel last ...
    Thank Post

Learning gateway and MIS integration Help

Hi to all at EduGeek,
    this is my first post, I have been getting help from this forum sincel last week and I have to say that you have a great community here, and help is second to none.
    I am the new learning gateway admin for my school and we have SharePoint Server 2007 installed .
    we have bought SLK ( Salamander sharepoint learning kit). I have been given the task to create access for parents on portal so the can see the progress of there chidren .
    also to provide collaboration between teachers and student where teachers can assign work to students and students be able to see and do there work at home.
    I am a bit confused whats the best way to go about doing that , any help in this matter will be great or point me to the right meterial which explains it all.
    Last edited by azadsani; 26th March 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having had a quick look at their web site, I'm not entirely sure whether the targetting of work is covered by their web parts. I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere.

I also didn't notice anything about parental access. Your best bet may be to contact Salamander about this and check that it is in fact possible. I could easily have missed these features in my quick browse of the site.

However, if the assigning of work can't be covered you may want to have a look at this: SharePoint Learning Kit - Home

3. Thanks to jamesb from:

azadsani (26th March 2009)

Thank Post
    I think the Learning kit is only away of assigning work to students for completition and for them to send it back to teachers.

For something like the access for parents to student data you will need something like the SIMS web parts or a product called TASC (or something similar) I have seen on here.

Thank Post
    Hi Azadsani,

All of what you suggest is perfectly possible - just depends exactly what you want to do.

To assign work to students you will need SharePoint Learning Kit. With this you can assign files to class groups or individual students, and set up an assignment diary for student, teacher and parent to view.

Access by parents is a little more involved, and requires setting the admission number of the students into the AD record of the parent. Again. SLK will take care of the business of allowing parents to see thier own students assignment list.

To allow parents to view SIMS data on their child will require purchasing the SIMS Learning Gateway web parts from Capita, which are very powerful.

A lot more details on all of these aspects, and how they have been implemented in our school, can be found in SharePoint Design for Schools - an e-book available from The Kraal. You can also look at a gallery of screenshots from schools which have already implemented this kind of thing.

Hope this helps.

6. Thanks to mleighton from:

azadsani (26th March 2009)

Thank Post
    thank guys you been great help
    I have seen the advert for e-book available from The Kraal, I think I will order a copy asap.
    SharePoint Learning Kit - Home is a good source but whats the difference between Sharpoint SLK and Salamander SLK.

Thank Post
    Hi Azadsani,

Not sure who you are even though you are a customer - I assume that your from the school we haven't installed at yet.

SharePoint Learning Kit (SLK) is an open source assignment tool/Scorm player originally written by Microsoft, then released to CodePlex. Since January I have been the project co-ordinator for it.

Salamander SLK (or Salamander SharePoint) is a tool originally written to create class sites to support SLK and has evolved into a general purpose bulk action tool for SharePoint. Most useful if you have large collections of sites along the lines of a site per class, or per pupil.

Give me a call or drop me an email for more explanation.

Richard
    SalamanderSoft
    SLK Co-ordinator

9. Thanks to rpwillis from:

azadsani (30th March 2009)

Thank Post

thanks richard

yes you are right , we have bought the Salamander SLK but have not implemented it yet, our vle administrator has left the school and I am just trying to find my feet, i would be contacting you regarding the installation and what should be in place be for the installation. please send me you contact details on azadsani@yahoo.co.uk

Thank Post
    Hi Azadsani,

Good to hear from you, and congratulations on your new job. That will be why I hadn't heard from your predecessor! I've sent you my contact details and will phone after lunch.

You might want to remove your email address now before spam bots harvest it.

Richard

12. Thanks to rpwillis from:

azadsani (30th March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread