+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Opinions on different VLEs in Technical; Hi, Here at Meadowhead School (1800 pupils) in Sheffield, we are using Frog. Currently for Staff, Parents and limited use ...

Thank Post
    Hi,

Here at Meadowhead School (1800 pupils) in Sheffield, we are using Frog. Currently for Staff, Parents and limited use for students. Has taken a lot of sorting out, but seems to work quite well, and it was bought before I got here and thought we might as well get the use out the money spent. Anyone else using Frog?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    How much was Frog, out of interest?
    From what I remember, a lot.

The advantage for a secondary school though is that the license (if I remember correctly, it may be an additional license) allows them to host VLEs for their feeder schools for a reasonable fee.

Thank Post
    We are using fronter here, its clunky and ugly imho. Has a lot of features apparently, but i just cant get over the fact that it looks horrible!

Thank Post
    I have to say that Moodle has been fantastic. Very easy to use for all parties and it's free. What's the point in paying through the roof for something that is as good if not better then any of the others.
    I think theres around 150,000 moodle sites in the world that will agree with me.

Thank Post
    Yeah totally agree about moodle, I did a test set up for my school on my homepage and it was so much easier to create a good looking site which is easy to navigate. I find myself thinking about where to go with fronter because the interface doesn't seem quite right and you are stuck with how fronter is.

Thank Post
    The cost of Frog, if the cost mentioned in another thread is correct, is around 20-25,000.

The issue i had with Moodle is that it wasn't Primary School Friendly enough. Year 5 and upwards would have coped fine i think but we have to think of the little ones as well

If the content section was theme-able then i may have ventured down that route and tried to cobble something together. It looks like i will have to wait for Moodle 2.0 and see how it develops.

There was a link somewhere that someone gave me of a thread on Moodle's forum that went through a discussion on development Vs Design. It was a good read i thought. I will see if i can find the link.

Thank Post
    we are going down the sharepoint route and hopefully sharepointLMS (google it) just waiting for version 2 which will be in beta in the next month i hope.

Looked at all others including moodle but decided to keep everything in sharepoint.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are using Shireland's, but i can thankfully say we will be moving away from them in March i believe and using sharepoint in which i am developing alsong side Talmos

I secondary can say i am happy for the change, as i dont rate there learning platform currently so many problems.

Also it has to go through so many people before you can get anything done.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    We are using Shireland's, but i can thankfully say we will be moving away from them in March i believe and using sharepoint in which i am developing alsong side Talmos

I secondary can say i am happy for the change, as i dont rate there learning platform currently so many problems.

Also it has to go through so many people before you can get anything done.

James.
    Good to here it James, i am a big fan of collaboration and like the idea of lots of schools using the same platform but in the end i think having a VLE which suits your school 100% is better then a 60% job with features you will never use.

Can you pm me your opinions of shirelands? as its something that they are trying to sell us despite all my work within sharepoint.

Matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmoo View Post
    Good to here it James, i am a big fan of collaboration and like the idea of lots of schools using the same platform but in the end i think having a VLE which suits your school 100% is better then a 60% job with features you will never use.

Can you pm me your opinions of shirelands? as its something that they are trying to sell us despite all my work within sharepoint.

Matt
    Exactly the reason why we are doing it ourselves, plus the support would be much faster for staff as we can support it where as at the moment we have to log a call etc, and it has to go to shireland > then to synetrix.

But yh sure i'll PM you..

James.

P.S. i'm not trying to put people of shireland, but i just think it is better suited for primary schools.. rather then secondary.

Thank Post
    you should also look at studywiz and LP+

Thank Post
    What are your thoughts on StudyWiz?

We should be having a meeting with them on Monday to go through how it works and looks.

Thank Post
    I believe none of the current VLEs meet Beta standards.
    Becta Schools - Data handling security guidance for schools

Page 15 lists the types of authentication needed to access data remotely.

Thank Post

studywiz

hi hodgehi

dont know much about them, just that you need to look at those 2 if you want make sure you see everything out there.

how'd the meeting go?

Thank Post
    The meeting went great. Very unique way of demoing a site really. We used the elluminate site to share to demoer's screen to see what was what. From what i saw StudyWiz seems very good. It looks to be well polished and also quick. It also seems to be further advanced than some that we have seen. Reporting seemed good, sims integration is apparently coming towards the end of the year (as it is with most VLEs from the sounds of it).

We had a few important points to be met and i think StudyWiz met those quite well. So now we have a decision to make.

We also viewed DBPrimary and that was quite reasonable too. The guys we had visit us were very enthusiastic about their product and that was good to see. We also viewed the Viglen It's Learning platform which was also useful very good. They are all much the same but the StudyWiz was interesting as we could host it locally which reduced the costs and also you only paid for Pupil access. Staff and parents were free.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast