+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, New VLE - Need Your Help in Technical; Hi all, I have been a long time viewer of this forum and I think it is really good. I ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb New VLE - Need Your Help

Hi all,

I have been a long time viewer of this forum and I think it is really good.
    I was hoping that you lot could help me out with a new project I have been working on.

I am in the process of creating a new virtual learning environment application, and would like to know people's views on what to include.

I want to know what features you think are essential and which are desirable.
    Also I would like your view on what current VLEs do badly, or you think could be done better.

These views can be generic to the education sector, or personal to your establishment.

I am hoping the end result will be a top quality product, which will be set apart from other packages available at present. Taking into account the needs of the most, but also unique things that some may like.

I think too many of the VLEs out there seem to be detached from their potential customers and their views, so hopefully we can help change this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newvle View Post
    I am in the process of creating a new virtual learning environment application, and would like to know people's views on what to include.
    "Oh , not another one" is my unfortunate and immediate reaction, and it's probably going to be a common one, so you should be prepared for it.

I am hoping the end result will be a top quality product, which will be set apart from other packages available at present.
    Well, how do you plan to achieve this? What's going to set yours apart from everyone elses in a saturated and maturing market?

Thank Post
    seamless integration with the schools MIS

other than that I'd say don't try and reinvent the wheel and start with moodle and edit / customise / improve that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    "Oh , not another one" is my unfortunate and immediate reaction, and it's probably going to be a common one, so you should be prepared for it.
    my first thought too, but I was trying to be polite

Thank Post
    I can be less polite

The problem with Moodle is that it is (IIRC) licensed under the GPL, so using it in something proprietary is going to be a problem (i.e. the source of your derived work must be available under the same terms, which obviously makes selling it to people a problem). Of course if you're going to keep the source open anyway, this is an excellent plan.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your response.

Well from reading posts in the forum I have seen many crtitisims on VLEs that people currently use. So I was hoping to take something from what you lot think and help make mine a better product.

My initial ideas on the product are to be able to create your own system with as much ease as possible. I know this is not a new idea, but with some input I am hoping to make mine one of the best at this.

Aswell as it being quite easy to use and change, I want to add advanced features so that the user has much more control on how things work. This way it can be tailored to the individual needs.
    Last edited by newvle; 18th February 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your response.

Well from reading posts in the forum I have seen many crtitisims on VLEs that people currently use. So I was hoping to take something from what you lot think and help make mine a better product.

My initial ideas on the product are to be able to create your own system with as much ease as possible. I know this is not a new idea, but with some input I am hoping to make mine one of the best at this.

Aswell as it being quite easy to use and change, I want to add avanced features so that the user has much more control on how things work. This way it can be tailored to the individual needs.
    excuse me for asking, but do you represent a company / group of developers or are you solely undertaking this project ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I can be less polite

The problem with Moodle is that it is (IIRC) licensed under the GPL, so using it in something proprietary is going to be a problem (i.e. the source of your derived work must be available under the same terms, which obviously makes selling it to people a problem). Of course if you're going to keep the source open anyway, this is an excellent plan.
    I was thinking that this could be a commercial product, but I have not made up my mind yet.
    Either way I plan to have the ability to use APIs to allow people to create their own functionality for the system.
    This could be then shared amongst users, or even sold to other users via my site. Depending on what people think at that time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcs View Post
    excuse me for asking, but do you represent a company / group of developers or are you solely undertaking this project ?
    That's ok, I am solely undertaking this project at present.

Thank Post
    That's ok, I am solely undertaking this project at present.
    wow, if you're serious you've got a fair bit of development to do - and I'm not being sarcastic or having a dig.

I still think the best way would be to use moodle as the platform and continue to develop that, or if you wanted to go down the commercial route offer bespoke development / consultancy.

Good luck with it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcs View Post
    wow, if you're serious you've got a fair bit of development to do - and I'm not being sarcastic or having a dig.

I still think the best way would be to use moodle as the platform and continue to develop that, or if you wanted to go down the commercial route offer bespoke development / consultancy.

Good luck with it!
    Thanks.

There is certainly a lot to do
    I am going to reuse code I have done for various things over the last couple years, and then after the ball is rolling look into getting help.

Once people start using it, upgrades would be issued regularly.

I have heard some critisms about moodle, and for the less tech savvy I think it can a bit daunting. I would like more views on this though.

Bespoke development can be a expensive thing to offer, and if I do go the commercial route I want to offer something that is a reasonable price.
    So I am hoping to have a system that can meet the design and technical needs of users, without having to change the code base.

Thank Post
    What other projects have you done? Have you got a copy of SIMS installed?

PS: Most people have "sorted" there VLE already. So a moodle module would be best, if it's a whole new a system, good luck. Your'll need to be pen tested before you get any sort of approval.

... Though I'll start with some basic questions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    What other projects have you done? Have you got a copy of SIMS installed?

PS: Most people have "sorted" there VLE already. So a moodle module would be best, if it's a whole new a system, good luck. Your'll need to be pen tested before you get any sort of approval.

... Though I'll start with some basic questions.
    I have done variety of projects working for companies that supply to business and ones that work in education.
    I have not got SIMS at the moment unfortunately. I have identified that this will be necessary as the project progresses however.

I have heard that Moodle works with the SIMS DB direct, if this is true I thought this invalidated the support from Capita? If so are people comfortable with this?
    I think it would be better to work with them, though more costly.

As for pen testing, that is in the plan. May get an external company to perform this.
    I have been suprised to find out how unsecure some systems I have worked with are, and will focus on security throughout the project.

As for people being sorted, if this is the case then there isn't much I can do.
    Some people may want to change, and I will be looking at ways of automating content migration, and also getting information out of moodle etc.
    I am still going to continue with the project either way, as I am sure I can reuse bits of it in the future if not in education.

Thanks for your comments

Thank Post
    Moodle imports from SIMS, one way. Read only
    SIMS will create a regular export from sims using Capita excellent reporting tool.

PEN testing really has to be done by a 3rd party, otherwise it's not really PEN testing!!

SIMS will cost about £5k, unless you can get a school\lea to create you a report etc. LEA would be best as they have Report Manager to change the author name

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    PEN testing really has to be done by a 3rd party, otherwise it's not really PEN testing!!
    Oops, I was thinking as opposed to other web developers I know.

Thanks for your information on SIMS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast