+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Sharepoint - where to start in Technical; I'm new to my current role as network manger at a school in birmingham, i started in January. At my ...

Thank Post

Sharepoint - where to start

I'm new to my current role as network manger at a school in birmingham, i started in January. At my old place of work we used moodle but here they are using sharepoint and they wish to stick with sharepoint. I am a novice at sharepoint but i'm learning quickly.
    Anyway to the point. The current vle used has lots of errors and seems to be jumbled up between about 5 servers (a bit of a mess). I would like to start again and make a large working vle for staff, students and parents to use. The question really is where to start. I have the server side set up using 3 new servers, 1 for sql and 2 for web application, a farm setup. I need some advice of where to start really and well what i can do with sharepoint. I've seen some very impressive vle's using sharepoint while researching and i want our vle to be as good as them. I've found the useful links page which is very very helpful but i'm after personal advice from people who have been at the same point i am now and ended up with a good working vle. What approach did you take? Did you use software that helped along the way? Anything i should know now that would be helpful rather than finding it out later at a point where its to late. Any advice really

All replys will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Jason,

Suggest you get yourself a copy of the e-book 'SharePoint Design for Schools' from The Kraal website. It details technical and design issues for schools, and takes you through a case study of Blatchington Mill school and how their extensive portal is designed, including SLG web parts, SLK, and use of third party tools.

I think it would not only give you an idea of potential design, but also what is available and what SharePoint is capable of doing for you as a school.

Mark

Thank Post
    thanks for the reply mleighton. These books look like just what i'm after. all i need now is some budget to buy one i'll have to catch the head in a good mood.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seconded, get over to the kraal. After that, hunt down ajp (hiding around here somewhere!). His blogs are excellent. Mike and the gang at Twynham are very active too - and have a blog. There is also the Microsoft Schools blog, which has taken a serious turn to Sharepoint stuff recently. I'm a user too - and blog on it a bit.

There are plenty of us using it, so shout and we will help out as best we can.

Stuart

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread