+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Fronter Users / Norfolk in Technical; Sorry to hijack this thread, if necessary I can create another. With the Fronter Absence and gradebook, how does this ...

Thank Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, if necessary I can create another.

With the Fronter Absence and gradebook, how does this work in terms of integration with SIMS? Does it integrate at all?

Thank Post
    This may be a slightly controversial view but ... The story so far - the LEA and each Primary School shared the procurement of the provision. In other words all of the Primary schools collectively made the decision to select Fronter from the many that were presented. This gave "ownership" if you like to each of the schools. The provision was launched at a series of events aimed at head teachers and senior management.The none ICT approach was seeded here in that everyone could be shown how to use it and anyone could, without much training.

School based "super users" training was part of the package that was bought, two days for two or three people from each school. The sessions were run in a local school with six schools attending the sessions I went to. There are to be a further two days later, to see how we are all doing and to move the "authority wide strategy forward". Schools chose who to send, mostly heads and school admin. A half day inset was held for all staff, giving the basics of how to create a home page, how to upload files etc. The buzz in the IT suite was tremendous with everyone involved in the fun.

What goes on "behind the scenes" should not discourage anyone from having a go. The children love doing their homework on the computer, it's better than doing it in a book. That comment from a discussion set up by the teacher to test the waters as it were.

Having said all of that, the behind the scenes stuff is clunky and, as a tech, I can't do things the way that I would like. But for the none technical people (all of the other folk in the school) it's just fine. They are using it and having fun and in doing so are learning all sorts of other things about using IT, without actually calling it that. Explore, discover and learn - isn't that what personalised learning should be about?

In danger here of sounding like a teacher and not a tech but I can see both sides and understand why.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, if necessary I can create another.

With the Fronter Absence and gradebook, how does this work in terms of integration with SIMS? Does it integrate at all?
    It doesn't integrate at all. There will be something from Fronter to deliver a "view" from SIMS. Fronter will never write data back to SIMS because of the licencing issues - i can't remember exactly the reasoning

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12