+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Mirror in Technical; Is anyone out there mirroring there online moodle website with an intranet server? I am just embarking on the process ...
    pod

Thank Post

Moodle Mirror

Is anyone out there mirroring there online moodle website with an intranet server?

I am just embarking on the process and wondered if anyone had a similar experience. I have a lamp server running on Vmware ESXi and I'm ready to go. My school is part of a managed service so all I am waiting for is an ip address for my 'unmanaged server' to make it accessible to the lan.

My plan is to do a nightly sync of the moodle data directory and database. We find our VLE nearly unworkable when trying to run over the net at busy time so hopefully this will provide a sort of offline version. It occurred to me that most vle courses don't change and the 5Mb/s downloads I am getting on the lan may make the pleasant a whole lot easier.

Anyway let me know if anyone else is doing the same.

Thank Post
    intresting idea, ahould keep the bandwidth requirements down but i suspect it might be a bit tricky.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    If the main problem is the downloads then it could be an idea to put in a proxy cache at your site.

4. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

pod (10th February 2009)

Thank Post
    rsync would do it but I'm not sure how it'd take to working out both ways.

I suppose I'd go with a push pull type scenario.

Hours of 8am-4pm Using the local LAN
    at 4pm, push to the internet site for evening use.
    7am, pull it back down.

Alternatively ofc is to host it internally accessed from the outside if "less" demand comes from there.

A bit of a brain storm maybe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    also with rsync on the files, it might be worth just having the database on one server, I doubt the database traffic would be too heavy

Thank Post
    Schools hit VLE's hardest during lesson time. Using todays teaching methods you generally get 30-60 kids all doing the same thing at the same time as you are experiencing.

I would say just host moodle on the side that hits it the most. students wont cause too much of a problem if they have to wait for a pages to download at home. but an entire class would kick up a big stink if they have to wait during lesson time (they get bored and chat to their mates).

pod

Thank Post
    I think you guys have a better system than I had in mind :-)

My version comes with a disclaimer, at least 24hrs behind the online version with lessons requiring user data e.g. online tests...being done online and not on the offline server. The main aim would be for students to be able to download files available on the vle.

I appreciate the comment about the proxy cache...it would help with the download times but even getting at the site is a problem.

Rsync is probably the best way forward to minimise the downloads.

I'll let you know how it develops.

Thank Post
    Its a good basic idea- as other have said - most hits/load is during day during lessons.

But problem would be getting sync down quickly enough so that keen students (the ones that are doing their assingments on the bus going home via their netbooks ) don't notice,

I'm thinking it would be better to just have a moodle server in the school with 2 net cards - one for school LAN - another one for external access

Maybe even a 3G dongle would be enough to satisfy external evening/weekend access and so obviate any need to deal with LEA/RBC for external IP

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Why not mirror your MySQL server - then you can have instant updates between the two sites and if either one went down you can recreate from the other one (for DR policy).

fair few sites out there with info about mirroring...
    How to setup mysql mirroring | UK Web Hosting | Linux Windows Server Tutorials | PHP MySQL Service

You can set up RSync to work both ways putting new content between themselves - I've used RSync to keep two boxes up to date when changes are happening on both.

Thank Post
    Getting ready to do the same thing here - mirroring the data to an other linux box
    This box wont be used unless the "live" box went down - its only going to be on an old P4 PC but should be enough to rsync the data from the main web server to this one so that in case of a DR - we can rsync it back across..

Will read up on mirroring mysql though...

Thank Post
    Im pretty sure you can mirror 2 mysql servers and keep them constantly upto date by having each server setup as a mirror of the other?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread