+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle - Feature Query (for a newbie) in Technical; Hello Just been passively reading through a comparison of Blackboard & Moodle in terms of features. As for most of ...

Thank Post

Moodle - Feature Query (for a newbie)

Hello

Just been passively reading through a comparison of Blackboard & Moodle in terms of features. As for most of the features, i know what they are, however there are still a few im not sure of.

1) What is SCORM?
    2) What is Hot Potatoes Import
    3) What is a Wiki?

4) Will moodle allow video hosting integrated with the VLE? what i mean here is, will the teacher be able to upload videos for his students to only be able to access using the VLE?

5) Does Moodle allow a teacher to set a specific task/question to each of his students and them then be able to go away, answer and submit it for review by the teacher. When teacher next logs on, he reads the question, if its good he passes it and if its wrong he allows the student to resubmit. Been looking at another VLE which does this today and my client says this facility is a must. If moodle doesnt do this then it cant be used

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

1) What is SCORM?

SCORM is a standardised format for VLE's. I believe it was originally invented by the US military. it is now the standard method for importing content and applications onto a VLE.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORM]Sharable Content Object Reference Model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

2) What is Hot Potatoes Import

Hot potatoes is a free application that allows teachers to create drag and drop quizes. Moodle will import hotpot but (iirc) it does not import it as SCORM and does not correctly deal with the score - thus cannot be used for assessment (unlike SCORM quizes or moodle quiz)
    Hot Potatoes Home Page

3) What is a Wiki?
    like wikipedia. essentially a website that anybody (registered) can use to share information
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki]Wiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

4) Will moodle allow video hosting integrated with the VLE? what i mean here is, will the teacher be able to upload videos for his students to only be able to access using the VLE?

yes. best bet is to convert the video to FLV (try something like SuperC).
    Moodle will automatically recognize the format and display it in it's own flash player. just like youtube.

5) Does Moodle allow a teacher to set a specific task/question...
    moodle quiz module is rather powerful, it will automatically mark the quiz. Alternatively teacher can create an assignment that student can upload.

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Half-Dead (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers dude for the info. Does all the quiz questions have to be multiple choice? or can a teacher write feedback to answer a specific question (Not multiple choice)?.

Thank Post
    There are several types of quiz question, some do feedback. clearly if the question isn't self-marked (such as an essay question) then the feedback will be general. The teacher could choose to give feedback in another way, such as by Instant Message (moodle does this)

Question types - MoodleDocs

more difficult is how to give individual questions to individual students (assuming you don't want students to see each others questions). I guess you would put each student into tailored courses - unless someone has a better idea.

Thank Post
    re q2: does not import it as SCORM and does not correctly deal with the score - thus cannot be used for assessment (unlike SCORM quizes or moodle quiz)
    You can import as SCORM if you want but there's no need since they'll work in Moodle's gradebook if you import via HotPotatoes module - not sure how you feel they don't correctly deal with the score. They're easier to 'cheat' with and for that reason not as suitable for assessment as the Moodle quiz, but excellent for quick and easily self-marked homeworks with results stored in Moodle.

7. Thanks to secretlife from:

CyberNerd (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlife View Post
    re q2: does not import it as SCORM and does not correctly deal with the score - thus cannot be used for assessment (unlike SCORM quizes or moodle quiz)
    You can import as SCORM if you want but there's no need since they'll work in Moodle's gradebook if you import via HotPotatoes module - not sure how you feel they don't correctly deal with the score. They're easier to 'cheat' with and for that reason not as suitable for assessment as the Moodle quiz, but excellent for quick and easily self-marked homeworks with results stored in Moodle.

Thanks. That's useful. It was a while ago that I tried hotpot (although teachers use it) I had difficulty getting the hotpot quiz to save the results in moodle. It would be really useful for us to do this as we are now using moodle for assessment so that teachers can export the moodle grades into SIMS. I will endevour to revisit hotpot when I get a chance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread