+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE WAGE in Technical; I work in a school as a technician and have been asked to create the VLE but have not been ...

Thank Post

VLE WAGE

I work in a school as a technician and have been asked to create the VLE but have not been offered any money. Have any other technicians that are doing the vle been given a raise??

Thank Post

create?

What do you mean by 'create'? Start from scratch? Or install, such as Moodle, or adminstrate, such as a commercial one?

Thank Post
    Lol they own you inbetween 8.30 - 5, why should you get a raise for doing work.

I manage the VLE + stupid we-learn portal + 2 websites (soon to add 2 or 3 more) + the booking system + a butt load of wordpress blogs i keep a eye on, and im still on a 12k a year wage. Oh and thats on top of the helpdesk (that I made) and the usual duties.

So to repeat the question, do i deserve a raise for doing work?

P.S unless they intend to sell it, but even then intellectual property (the school owns what you do when working) and all that.

P.S.S sorry to be short but im a strong beleaver in working at full pace/abilities regardless of your wage/position/contract
    Last edited by mossj; 27th January 2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added the sorry :)

Thank Post
    lol

Ur being taken for a ride then!! Is it in ur contract to do all that???

Cause it aint in mine, thats why i asked the question!

U ask round other schools, they have got people in from outside and if not paid exisiting staff to do it!

Be using Kaleidos RM
    Last edited by vikpaw; 27th January 2009 at 11:53 PM.

Thank Post
    I get a small TLR equivalent this year for managing the implementation of our VLE. I worked on it most of last year and got nothing extra for that.

I guess I feel that I'm paid to whatever they ask (within reason) so if they want me to do VLE that's fine as long as they understand something else may not get done.

The other thing is that I am also learning something new which gives me another string to my bow if I want to move on. Very useful in a world that is going VLE mad!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywhite View Post
    lol

A bunch of text....

U ask round other schools, they have got people in from outside and if not paid exisiting staff to do it!
    If the got people from outside to do it they clearly don't think much of there technicians do they..... And if they paid existing staff extra to do it, then I'd assume they put in more hours than contracted, if not more power to them.

P.S My contracts all hardware related. Even then I've never referred to my contract, after all you don't want to sound like the breed of techie that hates to get of his/her bum, if its not explicitly mentioned in his/her contract.

as the other guy said more strings to the bow
    Last edited by mossj; 27th January 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I think if you read your contract you'll find 'Time Limited Tasks'/'Tasks that are deemed necessary' or something simular (they've been built in to all the contracts i've ever had, and I suspect ever will), if you try to push your case they will just.... note it.... qoute this part of your contract.... and make you do it anyway (and they will think your a lazy see you next tuesday to boot).

Oh and i think my actions are valued as they've asked me to go FT/FT and I'm having a meeting next week to discuss my pay and possibility of part funding/giving paid timeoff for a degree.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 27th January 2009 at 11:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Well for my part they pay me £35K for term time only so I think I do pretty well out of them! I have an excellent working relationship with staff and managers who respect the work I do (and I respect their work). I'm left alone to do the job with little interference from SLT and overall I think my package is as good as it gets.

Maybe you need to consider if educational IT is where you want to be because pretty well everyone I know does way more than their job description.

Thank Post
    Already do a degree that they fund

Thank Post
    *off topic

£35K!! how much do your techies get paid/what range? if you can tell me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywhite View Post
    Already do a degree that they fund
    Then why moan, when they try to utilize the skills that they've allready paid/paying for

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems reasonable to ask your IT staff to implement the school VLE. Contracts don't have to outline every item you do (else they'd be hundreds of pages long). However, if, once the project is complete, it becomes a regular and substantial part of your role to manage the site then you could be entitled to move grade points, or not do the job...

Thank Post
    If its not in your contract you are within your rights to ask about pay. I wouldn't actually ask everytime some extra work was put my way, but would make a note of it if it became a regular part of my job. Then at your yearly pay review you can make a request of a pay rise and put forward your points of taking on extra work to justify it.

As localzuk has said, your contract doesn't have to outline everything you do as IT often overlaps with lots of projects that need setting up for other people to administer.

Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post

P.S.S sorry to be short but im a strong beleaver in working at full pace/abilities regardless of your wage/position/contract

I cant agree with this point sorry. If you are asked to do something over and above your current scale you are entitiled to ask for a pay rise. That is the reason of pay scales set according to skill levels/ respsonsibility.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @localzuk:
    I agree so far in that webman and myself do the technical side of the VLE but as for the content then i would say a big no to that as we are not teachers, so we don't know about the teaching and learning framework which SLT implement here at our school.
    I have engaged one of the teachers for this and he gets a teaching point for the work he does on the content and teaching the other teachers how to use our VLE, this works very well for us.
    So to answer the mans question, yes I do think you should be getting extra pay for the extra work you have taken on-board as should any other member of staff regardless of what your contract states as most of these contracts are not worth the paper they are written on and would definitely not stand up in a Court of Law.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Well for my part they pay me £35K for term time only so I think I do pretty well out of them! I have an excellent working relationship with staff and managers who respect the work I do (and I respect their work). I'm left alone to do the job with little interference from SLT and overall I think my package is as good as it gets.

Maybe you need to consider if educational IT is where you want to be because pretty well everyone I know does way more than their job description.
    Bet you get loads of Mint Cake too!

£35k? Well done that man.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast