+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle's got slightly better in Technical; Another one of my schools (my 5th) has decided to try out Moodle and I ha the issue of creating ...

Thank Post

Moodle's got slightly better

Another one of my schools (my 5th) has decided to try out Moodle and I ha the issue of creating the pupil logons.

I was in a bit of a rush (doing this at 11:30 last night in time for mtg this morning ) so I just went for making a csv with username =firstname&1st letter of surname and uploaded it and decided to manually check the name conflicts in the morning.

I was pleasantly suprised to find Moodle (I think CLEO's up to 1.9 now) automagically handled the duplicates and just created tomc in year 1 and then tomc2 in year 4

Even better, as I'd put the wrong domain name in the email addresses (!), you can now just download the users in csv format to do the corrections - something that wasn't possinle in earlier additions and re-upload them (so the automagical duplicate name resolution is preserved )

Just passing this on for those like me who first started on this a few years ago when EVERYTHING was VERY difficulty to do.

Its still difficult - can't disable course enrollment on a global basis still it seems (we have no access to core files before someone posts a hack ) but its getting easier to administrate for us for use primary people

regards

Simon

PS Still have to bodge the surnames to include leaving year in order to group the pupils together so that teachers can easily select them on their courses but Rome wasn't built in day

Thank Post
    Excellent that you have a 5th school trying out Moodle - the more the merrier CLEO are on 1.9.3 so I believe. If you want teachers to have an easier time selecting pupils on their courses you could show them how to do a group enrolment key , then let the pupils do all the work for them instead.

Thank Post
    Just use the MIS upload facility Si. It's 2 reports from sims then an upload. Everything done automatically and everyone placed into classes for easy bulk selection by the teachers.

Thank Post
    you could show them how to do a group enrolment key , then let the pupils do all the work for them instead.
    mm-I see where your coming from but then we've got the problem of pupils typing in the right enrollment key which would have to be simple to make it easy but might let them enroll in wrong courses - but I'll give it a go ta

Just use the MIS upload facility Si.
    Tried that (2 schools ago ) but I seem to remember I had problems with adjusting it to use the username I wanted (or was it that the school hadn't entered class info into the right field in SIMS ) I'll do a dump again and see what the problem was!

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    You are limited to the range they give you but there are about 5 to choose from including the mixing in the year they started etc.

Thank Post

key

mm-I see where your coming from but then we've got the problem of pupils typing in the right enrollment key which would have to be simple to make it easy but might let them enroll in wrong courses - but I'll give it a go ta
    You're primary aren't you? I guess I am thinking more in terms of our secondary pupils when we have several classes attached to one course (like all y7 history for example) So we give each class its own enrolment key (its class name so there's less chance they get it wrong) and then they are automatically enrolled onto that course in the correct set. Saves the teachers having manually to enrol them into their course.

Thank Post
    how does the cleo tool work, i know it takes the sims data and takes the correct associations but does it require staff to allocate the correct groups?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It'll make courses/groups based on the classes in Sims.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It'll make courses/groups based on the classes in Sims.
    Can it do "general" courses yet? Ie instead of having say "BTEC Engineering, GCSE Engineering, Diploma Engineering", can it create just "Engineering" and assign relevant kids/staff to it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Can it do "general" courses yet? Ie instead of having say "BTEC Engineering, GCSE Engineering, Diploma Engineering", can it create just "Engineering" and assign relevant kids/staff to it?
    You can manually create a 'metacourse' called 'engineering' and assign the other courses to that course. When the students of the child courses change, the metacourse will be automatically updated.

Thank Post
    Do the classes get created automatically with the correct assignments?

Meta-course is a long winded way of achieving what you want, why not just change the csv files used with the cleo tool?

Eg, instead of English Lit, English Lang, English Combined, make them all English?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information