+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Uniservity + Moodle in Technical; Hi Guys, For those of you who were at BETT you probably already know this but I thought I'd let ...
    Jed
    Thank Post

Uniservity + Moodle

Hi Guys,

For those of you who were at BETT you probably already know this but I thought I'd let you know that if you are being pushed to use Uniservity and their poor excuse for a VLE at the moment, they will be moving over to Moodle design modules soonish, so be aware it will all change very soon.

Thank god for that! This is exactly what we as an LA have been asking for and they've finally listened, now to the other 50 things.....

Hope this helps,

Jed

Thank Post
    Hi could you expand,

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    moving over to Moodle design modules soonish

Jed
    Thank Post
    Yeah sure-

They are replacing their limited design structure with the moodle design structure. This mostly relies on floating modules that theoretically can be created by anyone and moved with a Click and drag feature, which would be big improvement from their wysiwyg editors.

As they were showing it off with a moodle header I am assuming they have just paid Moodle for the code.

They are saying Summer for it's release, but I am not sure how realible that is and how smoothly it will run in after the MIS integration saga we had.

Jed

Thank Post
    Yeah sure-

They are replacing their limited design structure with the moodle design structure. This mostly relies on floating modules that theoretically can be created by anyone and moved with a Click and drag feature, which would be big improvement from their wysiwyg editors.

As they were showing it off with a moodle header I am assuming they have just paid Moodle for the code.

They are saying Summer for it's release, but I am not sure how realible that is and how smoothly it will run in after the MIS integration saga we had.

Jed

Theoretically? Will I be able to go to Moodle.org: Modules and plugins and make it good?

Jed
    Thank Post
    Yes, as far as the guys I spoke to about it were aware it will be a fully functional moodle design. If that is true then you will be able to use all moodle modules and plugins.

Here's hoping!

Thank Post
    wwwwwwwwwwwwww0000000000000000000000tttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttt!!!!!1111!!!one!!!!11!

Thank Post
    So uniservity is now moodle? Or atleast built on top of Moodle?

Id love to see more!

Thank Post
    Yeah could you confirm that? Uniservity is moving to moodle and away from Sharepoint? Will be funny as our LEA has just gone with Uniservity and we pulled otu to go with Moodle, arf arf.

Thank Post
    The uniservity front end already looks very moodle-like, can you remember who you spoke to at BETT regarding the Uniservity change?

Thank Post
    Yeah sure-

Jed
    So uniservity has realised they had a shit product and have scrapped it and gone with moodle?

This will be interesting because of the licensing!

If they have done this there will be fight from schools who currently have moodle to get a refund.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We also ditched university to go with moodle

this would be most interesting because moodle is published under the GPL - which would mean that Uniservity would also have to be published under GPL if they have used the moodle code
    so we can all use uniservity for free ? (not that I want to, last time I looked it sucked)

Thank Post
    Interesting. I didn't pay too much attention to the Uniservity stand as what I saw on the screens didn't look any different to what they offer at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We also ditched university to go with moodle

this would be most interesting because moodle is published under the GPL - which would mean that Uniservity would also have to be published under GPL if they have used the moodle code
    so we can all use uniservity for free ? (not that I want to, last time I looked it sucked)
    those were my thoughts......

mind you, anything uniservity say should be taken with a pinch of salt IME

Jed
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

mind you, anything uniservity say should be taken with a pinch of salt IME
    I think this important to remember, but from their point of view, if they were advertising this on the stand at bett for thousands to see and they didn;t follow through, it could see the end of them!

I spoke to Ben Sills and a couple of sales guys, can't remember what they were called, they were showing a limited version off on a couple laptops on the edge of the stand with a couple of guys giving a brief description about it.

When I mentioned it to Ben because of my disbelief, he confirmed that this is the way they are going.

As I said before: Here's hoping!

Thank Post
    I think this important to remember, but from their point of view, if they were advertising this on the stand at bett for thousands to see and they didn;t follow through, it could see the end of them!

I spoke to Ben Sills and a couple of sales guys, can't remember what they were called, they were showing a limited version off on a couple laptops on the edge of the stand with a couple of guys giving a brief description about it.

When I mentioned it to Ben because of my disbelief, he confirmed that this is the way they are going.

As I said before: Here's hoping!
    So to confirm Ben Sills stated Uniservity are throwing out there own product and replacing it will a version of moodle?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast