+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Uniservity + Moodle in Technical; The simple thing for Uniservity to do (although probably difficult technically), is to make a moodle-like wrapper for their site, ...
    Thank Post
    The simple thing for Uniservity to do (although probably difficult technically), is to make a moodle-like wrapper for their site, so that all the Moodle plugins will work in it. This will be difficult for Moodle to stop / police. Although in theory these modules are SCORM compliant anyway.

They could possibly get away with just dual hosting (internally) Moodle and their VLE, and then they're just calling up the modules from a moodle install. ALl they have to do is get a plugin/module/applet that allows talking between their VLE and a Moodle install, (which they can then also give away for free, as it just feeds use of their VLE). Depending upon how they did this (assuming I'm not talking our of my ) then you may be able to connect in moodle modules/plugins that you host on your own server(s).

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Uniservity have one of those - I was talking to one of their ex-school people who was offering us the ability for our Moodles to communicate with instances of their CLC product if we wanted to do cross-LA working. My understanding is that it's either a Moodle module which will dip into the CLC or the other way around...

Thank Post

BECTA

Ok...what I have to ask is...

We are being told by ESCC that Moodle is not BECTA approved and shouldn't be used...

If it is the case that Uniservity will be using Moodle as a back end?? Where does this sit with BECTA?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Ok...what I have to ask is...

We are being told by ESCC that Moodle is not BECTA approved and shouldn't be used...

If it is the case that Uniservity will be using Moodle as a back end?? Where does this sit with BECTA?
    There isn't a BECTA list of approved VLE's, it's a BECTA list of approved suppliers of VLE's.

Moodle didn't feature due to the companies supporting it not qualifying.

If VLE's were approved on features and usability moodle would be street ahead of the pack.

5. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

Burt (28th January 2009)

Thank Post
    REALLY...

That's really useful thanks.

Sounds like people need to get their facts straight before spouting off!?

Thank Post

Exclamation

Hi folks,

Having spoken to a contact at UniServity, it's probably worth clearing a few things up:

• UniServity say they aren't moving to Moodle as a back-end
    • UniServity aren't going to offer a choice between the CLC or an instance of Moodle
    • UniServity are going to offer a module which (possibly) will sit within Moodle and allow access to a CLC instance

As someone has pointed out earlier in this thread, Moodle wasn't rejected by Becta, remember the LP Services framework was about services, rather than products. I've written elsewhere about how your school or LA can have Moodle if they want, even if they are going with another LP Services provider - it just needs to be specified that that's what you want. Whether anyone will actually do that is another thing...

Ian.

PS, in fact, here's a statement from UniServity. These aren't my words...
    UniServity is a Becta framework learning platform which means that a stringent set of functionality and conditions have had to be met to meet the requirements of Becta. We do however offer a different approach to traditional learning challenges through our connect learning communities, projects and social learning approach. We therefore are looking to expose as much of our functionality to other school technologies such as Sharepoint and Moodle so schools can enjoy the additional functionality and value that UniServity bring.
    At BETT, UniServity demonstrated two prototype developments exposing functionality of UniServity to Moodle and Sharepoint. These pilots have been designed to enable schools to access the UniServity cLc functionality through legacy installations or internally hosted technologies such as Moodle and Sharepoint. UniServity will not be moving to these technologies, but will continue to create as many connectors and interfaces into our community as possible so it can be conveniently accessed via any device or technology.
    My comments on this would be:
    everyone's doing social learning now. Some providers could even spell "constructivism" given a dictionary or a word processor.
    I like the use of the word "enjoy".
    Last edited by iusher; 28th January 2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: received statement from UniServity

8. Thanks to iusher from:

John_Howarth (28th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Therefore meaning I don't have to go out and sign up to UniServity as they are going to make it talk to Moodle...bring it on!

This could be a useful trend if all VLE providers do this especially for cross LA Diploma delivery...

Thank Post
    My mind can't quite grasp at the moment, why would you want one Learning platform to show another? why would any school want to have 2 LPs? Or is it a case of providing an easy access point to someone elses through yours?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iusher View Post
    UniServity is a Becta framework learning platform which means that a stringent set of functionality and conditions have had to be met to meet the requirements of Becta. We do however offer a different approach to traditional learning challenges through our connect learning communities, projects and social learning approach. We therefore are looking to expose as much of our functionality to other school technologies such as Sharepoint and Moodle so schools can enjoy the additional functionality and value that UniServity bring.
    At BETT, UniServity demonstrated two prototype developments exposing functionality of UniServity to Moodle and Sharepoint. These pilots have been designed to enable schools to access the UniServity cLc functionality through legacy installations or internally hosted technologies such as Moodle and Sharepoint. UniServity will not be moving to these technologies, but will continue to create as many connectors and interfaces into our community as possible so it can be conveniently accessed via any device or technology.
    This statement is very interesting for a number of reasons.
    • What cLc functionality will be avaliable?
    • If it's connecting schools together then moodle sites can do this.
    • Will the cost of the connectors be equivalent to the cost of uniservity?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 760 Posts
    Blog Entries
    • will a connector allow linking LDAP accounts to uniservity ones.....

Thank Post
    We are part of a Rural Partnership delivering Diploma's. We cannot deliver all the Diploma's on our site so have to ship our Students to other sites, who may or may not have Moodle - hence the issues.

The way the Diploma's are going this may even mean that cross LA learning is looming.

Therefore having a common LP would be the obvious choice but that isn't going to happen, so if LP providers make their products talk to others it would make could practice and certainly make things easier to manage - surely??

(PS:I don't want 2 LP's I just want to stick with Moodle, however the "County Recommended" LP is UniServity.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    My mind can't quite grasp at the moment, why would you want one Learning platform to show another? why would any school want to have 2 LPs? Or is it a case of providing an easy access point to someone elses through yours?
    Yep, its to allow easy sharing of resources from school to school - or within a cluster etc

My *personal* opinion is its because Uniservity is still a pretty much marginal platform (in terms of number of installs) they're looking at any angle they can to integrate their platform with other platforms which have a bigger slice of the pie, which Moodle obviously has.

Any attempt to facilitate sharing of resources between sites and schools is a good thing so I'm quite happy that they've adopted this approach

Thank Post

UniServity's Response

Wow what a response to our BETT demonstration! I'm not sure where the information is coming from but I thought it might be useful to clarify UniServity's position on this.

At the BETT show we demonstrated two proof of concepts around integration with other technologies, SharePoint and Moodle. UniServity technology is not based on either of these products, nor will we be replacing our learning platform technology with Moodle.

The UniServity cLc is used by millions of learners globally and we are keen to extend this community to include as many learners as possible. One of UniServity's great strengths is the ability for students and teachers to quickly and easily establish virtual communities and engage in learning experiences with people around the world.

We recognize that schools may have invested time and resources in building their own learning platform solution. However, we are keen to enable these users to easily gain access to the UniServity connected Learning community through providing UniServity Widgets that work within other technologies such as Moodle or Sharepoint.

As Martin stated, we do not have a commercial relationship with Moodle, we do not provide Moodle services and we do not intend to do this in the future.
    The reason for these developments is to extend the reach of our community of users and enable easier integration of technologies.

I'm sure you'll have further comments ..

Dawn Mulholland
    Chief Operating Officer
    UniServity

Thank Post
    Ah, just as I thought Uniservity were coming up with something good!

Jed
    Thank Post
    This is different to what we were told, even up to 2 weeks ago, we understood this differently. We were recently told this at a Uniservity meeting, however, at BETT we were led to believe you had an option to replace Uniservity with Moodle.

Slightly concerning!

Still atleast Uniservity are finally listening.....these changes can't come soon enough!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123