+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE- What are your suggestions in Technical; Originally Posted by pooley Moodle is also an option, hosted ourselves or externally but I have Zero web design skills ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Moodle is also an option, hosted ourselves or externally but I have Zero web design skills and don't really have the time to manage a vle.
    But you're considering spending a stack of money anyway, so just hire someone to do your VLE. That way you get control of the software (Moodle) and you have a full-time member of staff working right there with you to write content, sort the server, etc, instead of somewhere in some far-off VLE vendor's office.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I second that, putting up content for a VLE is one of the biggest hurdles, it is a big change and teachers are too lazy, er I mean busy to do things like organise lessons if it involves doing something differently.

Thank Post
    We are looking into VLE for primary schools within a Cluster and/or possibly LA.

At Bett we approached FROG and were advised that FROG VLE + server would cost somewhere in the region of 30k and normaly Primaries would branch off a local Comp with frog already installed at a cost of ??? (comps to charge what they think fair)

Went to Fronter who couldn't give a definitive price but came up with 1.80 / 2.00 per student/teacher but couldnt advise on setup fees etc (awaiting some info)

An LA local to us has just started a pilot using Sharepoint in conjunction with SLG2 (Sims learning gateway) - so far setup costs are 50k+ but this will be an LEA based setup and will become available to all schools in the authority(costs to be shared out evenly). I would like to think that our LA would go for this but I have my doubts.

Moodle is also an option, hosted ourselves or externally but I have Zero web design skills and don't really have the time to manage a vle.

So my options seem to be

Frog (or similar) - Split between Cluster of schools
    Sharepoint (& Moodle?) and emply someone to manage/run the VLE
    Or talk to LA and try and convince them this is a good thing and all schools will eventually want in.

What do you guys think?

Si
    I would suggest a moodle setup to start with as it has little cost to it. Once staff see what a VLE is and how it can be used they will ask for extra bits and bobs. It is then that you will be able to make a better judgement on what you require out of a VLE and compare that to those that on offer. Whatever you choose you should be able to transfer courses in moodle to the new system.

Thank Post
    Whilst I am a huge fan of Moodle, I am yet to be really convinced that it works well in a primary school, as whilst it is really powerful it is not always intuitive. Also the standard themes in moodle are not hugely freindly for younger children.

From what I have seen of the various things on the market (recently seen presentations from UniServity, StudyWiz, Capita's SLG, LP+ and Frog; and having previousl run a moodle site in a secondary school) I think the simplicity and flexibility of Frog is definitly worth considering if the money is workable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]
    An LA local to us has just started a pilot using Sharepoint in conjunction with SLG2 (Sims learning gateway) - so far setup costs are 50k+ but this will be an LEA based setup and will become available to all schools in the authority(costs to be shared out evenly). I would like to think that our LA would go for this but I have my doubts. [\quote]
    Hi Pooley,

I notice you are in South Wales so from the text quoted about I am going to assume you are talking about Swansea LEA who are in the process of introducing the swansea-edunet portal using Microsoft Sharepoint. This in turn links into SIMS using the Learning Gateway and also into the school Moodle.

Each school has been given a Moodle site and the portal links into it. Using the portal we can access our e-mail and get access to our MyDocuments from outside the school.

This is the way the LEA have started setting things up and as it develops it is improving. The guys they have got in have some good ideas but from what I gather need more on their team to realise the vision.

If you are near then feel free to get in touch and you can come across to have a look. Of course if I am mistaken and you are not talking about Swansea then no matter.

Best wishes

GJE

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=garethedmondson;276072]

Hi Pooley,

I notice you are in South Wales so from the text quoted about I am going to assume you are talking about Swansea LEA who are in the process of introducing the swansea-edunet portal using Microsoft Sharepoint. This in turn links into SIMS using the Learning Gateway and also into the school Moodle.

Each school has been given a Moodle site and the portal links into it. Using the portal we can access our e-mail and get access to our MyDocuments from outside the school.

This is the way the LEA have started setting things up and as it develops it is improving. The guys they have got in have some good ideas but from what I gather need more on their team to realise the vision.

If you are near then feel free to get in touch and you can come across to have a look. Of course if I am mistaken and you are not talking about Swansea then no matter.

Best wishes

GJE
    Hi Gareth

Actually I was talking about Cardiff/Vale but I am interested to hear what you guys are doing in Swansea.

I have a meeting on Wednesday and will possibly be looking for Examples to show our LA to try and get them on board.

Thanks for the offer fella

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [quote=pooley;276077]
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

Hi Gareth

Actually I was talking about Cardiff/Vale but I am interested to hear what you guys are doing in Swansea.

I have a meeting on Wednesday and will possibly be looking for Examples to show our LA to try and get them on board.

Thanks for the offer fella
    Send over a PM and we can arrange a visit or chat online.

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Saw Frog myself at BETT and was really really impressed with it. Head of ICT got excited as well.

I loved the SIMS Integration especially, it showed the data extracted from SIMS very clearly, much better than SIMS itself!

Anyway, we were told around 25k for a Server setup. However, not really got a clear idea what that includes. Things like the E-Mail module we possibly wouldn't need, so we hoping to get them in soon to discuss.

For us though, we've got to deal with ensuring we fit in with SWGfL Merlin platform. We're a pilot school for it, and although it's supposed to be just a Portal to get the Single Sign-On service it does appear now to be behaving like a very basic VLE.

Pete

Thank Post
    Im also looking for a decent Primary VLE. Frog looks great but they want 14000 for a primary and then 3200 per year from the second year onwards. What they want to do is get a secondary to buy it for 18000 then charge primary's 1000/annum for a licence to use it. Rip off. Shame for such a nice product. I wont be buying it for one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12