+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SALTIS Report in Technical; People may be interested in the SALTIS report "Supporting Interoperable Learning Technology", available at SALTIS Papers . Hard copies are ...
    Thank Post

SALTIS Report

People may be interested in the SALTIS report "Supporting Interoperable Learning Technology", available at SALTIS Papers. Hard copies are also available, free, by emailing me at crispin.weston@saltis.org.

The report is about technical interoperability standards - explaining why the industry increasingly regards them as essential to the implementation of more effective e-learning solutions in schools.

I hope that the report may be of particular interest when read in conjunction with the OFSTED's recent summary of the state of learning platforms at Virtual learning environments: an evaluation of their development in a sample of educational settings / Thematic reports / Documents by type / Browse all by / Publications and research / Ofsted home / Ofsted - Ofsted.

I'd be very pleased to respond to comments and criticisms on this list.
    Best, Crispin.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crispinw View Post
    People may be interested in the SALTIS report "Supporting Interoperable Learning Technology", available at SALTIS Papers. Hard copies are also available, free, by emailing me at crispin.weston@saltis.org.

The report is about technical interoperability standards - explaining why the industry increasingly regards them as essential to the implementation of more effective e-learning solutions in schools.

I hope that the report may be of particular interest when read in conjunction with the OFSTED's recent summary of the state of learning platforms at Virtual learning environments: an evaluation of their development in a sample of educational settings / Thematic reports / Documents by type / Browse all by / Publications and research / Ofsted home / Ofsted - Ofsted.

I'd be very pleased to respond to comments and criticisms on this list.
    Best, Crispin.
    Hi Crispin,

I've had a quick read of your report, i have seen a massive area of interoperability you have missed and thats OS interoperability.

Currently the majority of schools use a windows based MIS, due to the monopolistic requirements to run the MIS, true interoperability will never be possible.

Interoperability lower the TCO but when you are forced to purchase a closed proprietary OS to run a MIS it's counter-intuitive.

for example to run sims.net you need to have BOUGHT the following.
    Windows XP
    Windows Server 2003
    Windows SQL Server 2005
    Windows Server and SQL Cals
    Microsoft Office 2003

to have Sims.net learning Gateway
    Microsoft Sharepoint Server

There is probably more that i have missed.

But you can see even with application Interoperability you are still forced to purchase an OS.

Having an monopoly use tools from another monopoly the bigger loser is the school as free choice is no longer an option.

As you can see Application Interoperability to only a piece of the puzzle. A bigger challenge is OS Intero

Thank Post

OS Interoperability

Hi Penfold,

Apologies that I never spotted your reply - I guess 9 months late is better than never.

I agree with you that OS interoperability is a problem but I would say that it is a different problem, for which larger people that SALTIS will have to find solutions.

If you want to run product A, you have to first buy operating system B. OK - that's tough.

But the problem that SALTIS is addressing is, if you have product A working with OS B, can you move data to product C working on OS D? If you move the data using web services in combination with an agreed data model usingan XML binding, then the answer is yes. And even though the purchaser of product A might still be bound to OS B etc. I think that is still a very important win.

Crispin.

Thank Post

Requirements for a content packaging profile for UK schools

As the conversation above shows, SALTIS has been working for some time to improve interoperability between VLEs and learning services, tools and content. Over the last few months, we have been working in support of a BECTA project to create an agreed "content" packaging standard that can achieve acceptance throughout the industry.

I put "content" in inverted commas because we are not talking just about static web pages, butalso about dynamic web services and applications that deliver interactive, creative and social learning activities.

Proposed requirements for this project, backed by a detailed technical rationale and survey evidence, have recently been circulated to SALTIS members.

We are very concerned that the project should meet the requirements of the end-user community as well as the requirements of the industry - and we are particularly interested in the hands-on perspective of the EduGeek community.

While the detailed requirements documents are still not publicly available:

1. I have posted (a) an executive summary and (b) a detailed report on a consultation with content publishers and tools developers to www.saltis.org/papers.htm .

2. I have made an 8 minute video overview, which you can see at www.saltis.org (at the bottom of the page).

3. there will be a webinar at 1400 GMT this Friday. You can register for the webinar at SALTIS Webinar Registration. After a presentation of the key requirements, there will be a discussion chaired by John Rogers of EdICTs - so come with a microphone attached to on your computer.

4. if anyone is interested and thinks that they are able to represent an end user perspective on the shape of these requirements, please send an email to john.rogers@edicts.com. John is responsible for issuing invitations to attend a SALTIS meeting in Milton Keynes on Tuesday week (17th November) where there will be an opportunity to discuss and amend the requirements document.

Any other questions you may have about the project, please drop me a line.

Crispin Weston.

Apologies for cross posting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread