+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle - File uploads in Technical; I'm playing about with Moodle on a testing server and want to recreate our current staff announcements in Moodle. Now ...

Thank Post

Moodle - File uploads

I'm playing about with Moodle on a testing server and want to recreate our current staff announcements in Moodle. Now a part of the announcements has an area where SMT can upload files (i.e. briefing minutes) but only staff can view (not upload) these files. Anybody got any idea how I might achieve something similar.

I've had a look at the assignment upload etc but can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    You just need to use the "Add a resource" not "Add an activity" - this will let you link to/upload documents

Thank Post

and..

. Now a part of the announcements has an area where SMT can upload files (i.e. briefing minutes) but only staff can view (not upload)
    Additionally to the above if you want SMT to upload stuff they need to be put on as teachers in that area/course. And the other staff will stay in the default role.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    You just need to use the "Add a resource" not "Add an activity" - this will let you link to/upload documents
    I did that aswell. I added two links, one to open the folder to show the files and another below it to take the user straight to the upload page. I just couldn't figure out where to set the permissions to allow a certain user to upload to that directory and that directory only.

I thought this would be the easiest way I just can't find the permissions - I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Now a part of the announcements has an area where SMT can upload files (i.e. briefing minutes)
    you would be better off creating a webpage (add a resource>create web page) and then copying the briefing minutes into that.
    otherwise you'll just turn your webserver into a fileserver, and theres not much point in that

also your better off leaving the permissions alone, just set all the teachers that you don't want to edit as a pupil/student. Only the editing teachers should be able to edit their courses.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 8th January 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: sp

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    you would be better off creating a webpage (add a resource>create web page) and then copying the briefing minutes into that.
    But its not just the minutes. There's a handful of different files, things like cover lists etc.

Thank Post
    just couldn't figure out where to set the permissions to allow a certain user to upload to that directory and that directory only.
    agree with above posts but...afaik all users who are editing teachers can upload to any directory within the course files and I don't believe there's a permission to alter it so they can only upload to one specific folder in the course files (if that's what you meant) -and it really isn't worth getting into permissions at this stage anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    But its not just the minutes. There's a handful of different files, things like cover lists etc.
    make folders in course files named after each one -minutes - cover lists - etc and then show SMT how to upload to that particular folder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread