Poll: Which do you think is the best VLE?

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Best VLE in Technical; reading a few comments about price it seems initially that frog looks slightly more expensive. but you get 2 major ...

Thank Post
    reading a few comments about price it seems initially that frog looks slightly more expensive. but you get 2 major upgrades a year and a hell of a lot of technical support all in that price.

Other companies we looked at including Fronter and Sharepoint seemed initially cheaper but i had strong feeling i would end up losing that saving in paying for upgrades of bug fixes or content updates.

Im really getting to grips with frog now. its the most usable system ive ever tried to foist on teachers There is of course the initial investment of time, but you can add video, sound, images, rollovers and text very VERY easily.

Im hoping that for the first time ever non ict staff will be able to manage their own web and class tools without having to ask me or my team to set it up for them.

Basic web pages with video etc are as easy as youtube or facebook.

Im v pleased with the quick issue of classwork tool.
    Sending out work to students who then upload the finished document or file is quick and easy. the most impressive part is that i can see at a glance what students have not handed the work in. ive been trying to do this for years with gcse coursework but ive never quite managed a useable system either using e mail or some network folder system. The time im gonna save just flicking through gcse coursework folders is worth a LOT. Then there is the thousands we spend on paper and ink.

Thank Post
    We are looking at using FROG here I have previously used Learnwise, Uniservity, and Kaleidos and have not really been happy with any of theses. Frog on the other hand has really impressed me.

I was just wondering if anyone was using Frogs Secure Gateway and Parental Portal and how they have found these, as we are looking at a one stop solution for VLE, home access and communication with parents.

Thank Post
    Hi folks.

There have been a few comments on this thread that Frog is expensive, so I've put a quick blog post together to explain my thoughts, as it actually isn't, it's just that we quote a price that includes absolutely everything, so I've broken it down a little bit to help make some sense of it - Why is Frog so Expensive? Gareth Davies’ Blog

For clarity, the blog post refers to "Frog", it doesn't mention our "Secure Gateway" product, or our "Parental Engagement Portal" product.

I hope this helps and doesn't offend anyone!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Completely agree! Was very impressed with what I saw.

I see a few not so positive comments about Fronter in this thread. I had a quick demo of this and it didn't seem that bad to me. Can anyone elaborate on why it's good/bad? Can PM me if necessary.
    Fronter is working really well here at my secondary, but I am not a techie and not overly bothered about customising to any extent. It is being used solely to deliver content to the students and with that clear aim, its made it easy for staff to get on board as they know what they are doing and are enthusiastic for it.

I understand why people do not like it, but if you a want a easy to manage solution it works. Oh and its free for us, so that is the biggest plus.

If I was to buy, we'd look at frog. Looks good to me.

Thank Post

FROG Secure Gateway

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone was using Frogs Secure Gateway and Parental Portal and how they have found these, as we are looking at a one stop solution for VLE, home access and communication with parents.
    Hi Steve,
    Being brutally honest I don't think you will go wrong with FROG for those elements at all. We are a FROG customer and we're extremely happy with the quality of the product. Personally I see investment into FROG as investing into a concept and vision rather than a generic package, as it will grow with the needs and demands of the school. Secure gateway is fantastic, we currently have up to 70 students logging on remotely from home to access curriculum software as well as staff accessing SIM's. It is simple and works extremely well. The parental portal product is starting to look amazing with full SIM's integration and will be reporting a wealth of information from SIM's back to parents in addition to bringing in some of the web2.0 social networking concepts too. Sure, people talk about FROG as being expensive - but calculate the total cost of ownership over 4/5 years and it is a very different story. If you want to look at what we are doing with FROG here at Costello Technology College. Take a look at my blog - Leaping into Action with FROG@Costello

6. Thanks to dtester from:

Steven_Cleaver (24th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi dtester

Quite agree with you about buying into a concept and the pertentual for growth and expansion of use across the school, thanks for the link I will take a look as I am trying to do as much research on FROG before we go for it.

Thank Post
    I saw Fronter and Frog, Frog's hardware was a disadvantage for us as we're on 4 sites.

Anyway, Notts chose Fronter so that's what we're using

Just noticed: view-source: frontersupport.co.uk

meta name="generator" content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management"

I pronounce lulz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    I saw Fronter and Frog, Frog's hardware was a disadvantage for us as we're on 4 sites.

Anyway, Notts chose Fronter so that's what we're using

Just noticed: view-source: frontersupport.co.uk

meta name="generator" content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management"

I pronounce lulz
    You can also tell that from the way their URL's are generated: /index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=5

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Just finished my 2 day Fronter training so my heads still buzzing.

It doesn’t produce the prettiest content, but it is very easy for staff to create the content, and that’s the main thing. Another thing to remember is that it is sold as a MLE rather than a VLE. It was great to go into the admin and see all the classes / users etc already there, just as they are in SIMS.

From an admins POV (mine) it would seem that once the initial school structure is created and staff are comfortable using it, it will look after itself.

Plus points
    • Free for the first 3 years
    • Completely managed solution – no servers to maintain or opening ports on firewalls, backups etc
    • SIMS integration
    • Easy to understand framework
    • 2 updates a year
    • The upcoming visual mail is going to be great for Primaries

Negatives

• Being a managed solution if internet connection is lost at either schools end or Las end then all access to the MLE is lost. Bad news to those who are using it for all calendar, resources etc.
    • No way to download entire directory trees in one go
    These are just some of my initial thoughts. We have to wait and see what the next few months brings. Exciting times

Thank Post
    When the Becta Spec was initially published 100+ VLE providers registered their interest. I'm putting together a list of VLEs (whilst accepting that interpretations differ) outside the Becta Framework. If you know of any VLEs I would appreciate the info.
    I have seen a couple of posts saying a list is being compiled. Would love to see it as it is.

Thanks all

Thank Post

add to your list

add to your list Joomla LMS system

Btw, frontersupport.co.uk should use joomla LMS on their site to tech how to use Fronter LMS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallgo View Post
    Surely someone can make something which looks as good as Facebook/Bebo or something, lots of widgets, bells and whistles.
    Hmm, having used Frog for a while now sounds like u need Frog 3... Its so good. looks good, does the job and then some and is so easy to use i even showed my teenage daughter who loves it. Give them a call if ur still looking and let them demo Frog 3 to you. You wont look back...

Thank Post
    im starting to come around to the idea of Frog 3.0. but some people have some really god aweful frog 3 layouts, but then again same can be said about moodle!

Anyway got frog coming in in july to do a demo will update my pov after that no doubt!
    see link for a sample of frog sites
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...i=&safe=images

Thank Post
    Lots more screenshots of school sites available at: http://www.frogtrade.com/designportfolio

Click on the Frog 3.0 tab to see some of the newer ones

Thank Post
    FROG has to be the best VLE out there for me. All stakeholders can contribute, has AD and MIS integration. Support is brilliant. And we don't have to have a person constantly working on it all day everyday. Well worth the money and the optional extras are brilliant!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast