Poll: Which do you think is the best VLE?

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Best VLE in Technical; We have been working with the frog system on our site for nearly 3 years now. I agree with the ...

Thank Post
    We have been working with the frog system on our site for nearly 3 years now. I agree with the other people who have highlighted its positive points but a couple of additional things need to be stated.

I understand why it is so enthusiastically supported by especially by so many teachers and other users, even though those on the technical side can get a bit sniffy about it, it is a great bit of kit for the user. I have looked at other systems before and after we bought into frog but none have tempted us ....as yet.

Over the years we have always felt that the support that frog provide has been good but the thing we like best is the way this company actually listens and responds to teacher needs and builds them into the system.

I was amused by the frog screenshot and the comments about it. The fact is that the 'front end' of frog is whatever you want it to be. In fact it is so easy to set up 'areas' that teachers and pupils can easily design and run different sections in pretty much any style and with whatever content they choose.

From the technicians point of view it is pretty easy to manage as well ... a couple of days and you have it all sorted out. Obviously designing pages etc takes time but it is not difficult and with only a little planning training much of the designing and implementation side can be done by teachers (or pupils if you wish).

The frog teacher side is heavily used by our staff to such a extent that it has become 'mission critical' in so far as they tell me that they could not function effectively without it now!

In my own LEA a number of schools have bought into frog (even though the LEA wide solution is provided at no local cost ) and it is in frog schools that the teachers and pupils are becoming engaged with the 'VLE process' to support teaching and learning.

I am sure that there are other good solutions out there which suit different schools and frog does have its quirks dont get me wrong, but in terms of bang for your buck it is one of the best purchases we have made.

2. 2 Thanks to hartshay:

FragglePete (21st January 2009), RyburnMark (19th January 2009)

Thank Post
    The Frog platform does sound very appealing. Before I start the ball rolling at this end and find its out of the question, can you give an indication of how much it will cost us to get Frog ? Excluding hardware, of course. I have seen comments of and I am wondering what that might mean for budget planning.

Thanks! Rog

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They used to provide generic and bespoke installs, the hardware is included in the cost and its between 20,000 and 25,000 I think that the bespoke solution is well woth the extra 5,000.

These are rough prices as per.

5. 2 Thanks to soapyfish:

AndyD (21st January 2009), walker (21st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks - seems a bit pricey, but may be do-able. I'll keep on digging!

Cheers

Rog

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It does provide extra features as part of the price such as intergrated mail system and web proxy etc.

Thank Post
    Whats the kinda pricing on just the VLE... as thats what most schools would want i'd imagine.

Thank Post
    Currently we are implementing Fronter as that is what our LEA signed up all the schools in our area. Can't say I am impressed with it at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    They used to provide generic and bespoke installs, the hardware is included in the cost and its between 20,000 and 25,000 I think that the bespoke solution is well woth the extra 5,000.

These are rough prices as per.
    I was liking the look of Frog until I saw this Way out of our price league. Guess I'll have to stick with Fronter

Thank Post
    Not sure if i've already mentioned this in this thread... but those looking for an open-source alternative other than moodle... there is always Dokeos. It's what we use and i've gotta say... i'm pretty impressed!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do not think they sell just the vle I think i comes all in. It was handy for us as we were looking for a mail server as well.

Thank Post
    - Frog I saw at BETT when looking at VLEs with a mate, best at the show by a mile
    Completely agree! Was very impressed with what I saw.

I see a few not so positive comments about Fronter in this thread. I had a quick demo of this and it didn't seem that bad to me. Can anyone elaborate on why it's good/bad? Can PM me if necessary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kbolland View Post
    For a example on how Frog can be customized please take a look at our website which is built in Frog.

Frog - Learning Platform, VLE, Digital Environment
    Ah, a page that generates 199 validation errors when I run it through the w3c validator. Just the sort of stuff we shoul dbe throwing onto the web then ;-)

Not a lot of alt-text either - images are unusable when I turn them off but I need to click them to get someplace :-( It does cope OK with an accessibility layout though.

OK, so it's a funky interface and it does look just what the kids would want. I'm also being picky - it rendered OK - but if it's that great a piece of software I'd really want it to do a bit better when it comes to using it for what is essentially a corporate website.

I'd love to use Frog in school mind. It's just too expensive for now though. I'm sure there have to be other stuff on the way that will morph the look. Hope so anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil View Post
    Is anyone running the Sims Learning Gateway 2 successfully?
    We have a successful implementation of SLG2 running in a SharePoint portal for staff, students and parents.

You can see some detail on it at the kraal - SharePoint Design, Web Parts, and ICT in the Online Education Community - Blatchington Mill School

and also on the Microsoft Team blog site

Thank Post
    I have been using Fronter so far at my school, have to say the interface seems to be rather clumsy, not very easy to navigate either. Has anyone else experienced it? Moodle has been the best ive tried its simple and the interface is much easier to use and on a def plus its free

Thank Post
    You need good support from the company. I felt Fronter were not offering a customisable solution. Other potential vendors were clunky and unlikely to be (non ict) teacher friendly. Also having it hosted locally is another layer of reliability. The thing that decided me was Frog people are hands on and helpful. If youve got a problem they will work with you to sort it out. Any ict project like this is going to run into problems. do you want to just "write the ticket" and hope for the best or would you rather talk to a real person.

Thank Post
    Me too ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast