Poll: Which do you think is the best VLE?

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Best VLE in Technical; Originally Posted by alan-d What does the secondary school version look like? Why couldn't that be the secondary school one?...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    What does the secondary school version look like?
    Why couldn't that be the secondary school one?

Thank Post
    It looks like a primary school layout. If it was shown to staff here it would be laughed out the door.

I'm sure it does what it says on the tin but it looks horrible!

Thank Post
    The screenshot is what to be shown at Bett but like anything in Frog the colours and design can be customized by you to your requirements.

For more information ask any of the team at Bett.

For a example on how Frog can be customized please take a look at our website which is built in Frog.

http://www.frogtrade.com
    Last edited by kbolland; 8th January 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    I have looked at Moodle and umpteen sharepoint installations, and i honestly think the design is a breath of fresh air.

I don't think it would offend any of our staff here, it wouldn't be a million miles away from some of the social networking sites that a lot them of them embrace.

Thank Post

FROG

I have used a moodle VLE, Uniservity and the VLE from SERCO. FROG is in a different league. Moodle required staff to ask the guy who built it to do things for them, they got bored of waiting and gave up, when he left the system crashed and no one knew how to fix it. Uniservity was not intuative took ages to upload and manage resources and was very prescriptive. The SERCO VLE had many of the same problems as Unservity but the server kept going down and as it was not hosted in our building meant that we had to wait for it to come back up before we could access lessons etc. Staff got fed up with this and gave up. FROG is a breath of fresh air, we host the server, even if the Internet goes down we can access lessons resources etc. Staff can develop their own resources, we recently had a whole school inset to show staff how to develop resources, web pages etc...Staff have now voted as a group that our regular twilight insets should now be on how to develop the FROG system. A complete turn around in attitude.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kbolland View Post
    For a example on how Frog can be customized please take a look at our website which is built in Frog.
    Frog - Learning Platform, VLE, Digital Environment
    I'm afraid that does nothing to inspire me The staff here prefer the more corporate look and feel that big pictures and icons to links looks unsuitable. I have no doubt that some will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by kdukes View Post
    I have used a moodle VLE, Uniservity and the VLE from SERCO. FROG is in a different league. Moodle required staff to ask the guy who built it to do things for them, they got bored of waiting and gave up, when he left the system crashed and no one knew how to fix it.
    From what you say, moodle was badly instigated and managed at the time. We are getting to the stage where teaching staff (some, not all!) are experimenting with moodle with great success. Some of this may be down to the fact that we have sessions where staff show off their lessons and how they receive results and feedback from students.

Thank Post
    A Y10 student was showing me his iPhone yesterday and it looked just like the frog screenshot there. I think ths students would like it and I dare say the staff may actually be able to use it as well.

Big colourful buttons - Check
    Silly Name - Check

What more could you ask for.

Thank Post
    Hello all,

I suppose it depends on your own school/staff culture. We looked very carefully for over 6 months and even had many of the above "showcase" theirs; Frog came out on top for many of the reasons stated by others.

It isn't cheap, but you do own and house the box on site (no dependence on Local Authority Internet!!) and in the 2 terms that we have had it, their technical support has been fabulous and this confirms my choice of Frog as No.1.

It really is as flexible as you want it to be and the full school system integration it offers and in our case in Sheffield, the cluster of Schools we work with; the scope for collaboration etc. is really encouraging.

Thank Post
    I don’t know which VLE is the best but there should be a vote for the worst VLE.

Thank Post

VLE

Forget Moodle and Sharepoint - they have a long way to go to match Frog - bit like the 360 and PS2 don't have the fun and personality of a Wii

Thank Post
    Very happy with the fronter version we are using. Massive upgrade on kaledios, very easy to use and makes it easy to hi the targets we have set for it.

It does help that we have a 1gb line into the school that rarely goes down so being hosted off site is not a problem.

I think a move to frog will be in the future somewhere, but for now, the ease of use for staff is a massive help and once they are happy using it then something more advanced would be suitable.

Admin wise fronter is very easy to manage. Can't complain with any of it, plus it free for us till 2011!

Thank Post
    Does Frog allow for real time reporting and does it allow staff to put data back into the SIMS/CMIS system?

How does prices compare to sharepoint? Looking at our licensing options, sharepoint starts to cost a lot when you start multiplying a few pounds by a thousand plus students and external connectors etc.

I'm really interested in seeing some of these VLE's working in schools before we decide which direction to go.

Is anyone running the Sims Learning Gateway 2 successfully?
    Last edited by techyphil; 13th January 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    @Emlyn:
    What experience of Moodle and Sharepoint do you have as we all may benefit from your knowledge.
    Your first post seems to give the impression that you have a wealth of experience so would really appreciate your input.

Thank Post

Smile

@techyphil

"Does Frog allow for real time reporting" - Yes, launching at BETT

"and does it allow staff to put data back into the SIMS/CMIS system?" - Not directly yet, but can't be long

"How does prices compare to sharepoint?" - as you correctly point out, licencing is key issue, Frog is a one off perpetual licence with support costs the only annuals - see latest thread on VLE costs to be aware of how to measure true costs (Return on Investment not just ££s shelled out)

"I'm really interested in seeing some of these VLE's working in schools before we decide which direction to go" - check out the Becta Videos ' Learning Platforms in Action' as a starter. As you mention Frog you may also like to see whitepapers for examples of VLE use in several schools

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyburnMark View Post
    @techyphil

"Does Frog allow for real time reporting" - Yes, launching at BETT

"and does it allow staff to put data back into the SIMS/CMIS system?" - Not directly yet, but can't be long

"How does prices compare to sharepoint?" - as you correctly point out, licencing is key issue, Frog is a one off perpetual licence with support costs the only annuals - see latest thread on VLE costs to be aware of how to measure true costs (Return on Investment not just ££s shelled out)

"I'm really interested in seeing some of these VLE's working in schools before we decide which direction to go" - check out the Becta Videos ' Learning Platforms in Action' as a starter. As you mention Frog you may also like to see whitepapers for examples of VLE use in several schools

Hope this helps
    Thank You RyburnMark - top man!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast