+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Microsoft Learning Gateway in Technical; We're currently working with Microsoft Learning Gateway, trying to set up a site for our school (after experimentation with other ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Learning Gateway

We're currently working with Microsoft Learning Gateway, trying to set up a site for our school (after experimentation with other VLEs that just don't meet our needs). The functionality seems great, but we're having some issues. When a parent logs in they are meant to see the children they have at the school, but we can't get this to work. We've put the student names into the otheripphone field in Active Directory and told Sharepoint to look at that field, but always get 'No children available in this school'.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to overcome it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is succesfully using the Microsoft Learning Gateway, I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

We have a successfully set up the Learning Gateway in school, and have worked with other schools on their designs. There is not a huge amount of help/guidance out there for the educational environment.

I think the only other configurable property for the My Children web part is the LDAP path to the appropriate place in your AD.

Have you visited the kraal - SharePoint Design, Web Parts, and ICT in the Online Education Community which is a support site for SharePoint designs in schools?

They have a gallery of school sites displaying their implementations, and also guidance on how to set up a SharePoint site in a school environment which includes the kind of functionality you are after.

Thank Post
    Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but are you putting the user into AD as DOMAIN\student?
    Ours only works that way.

Thank Post
    I'll check the LDAP string tomorrow, but I think that it should be right.

Thanks for the information on the kraal. I've had a quick look and this might be useful for us. I'll pass it on tomorrow to the person who is actually putting her time in developing our SharePoint sites.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
    Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but are you putting the user into AD as DOMAIN\student?
    Yes, we've got it in like that. I've tried it in several ways - with the domain, without, using fully qualified domain etc. Thanks though.

I really hope I can get this resolved. It, like many really annoying things in IT, is probably (read hopefully) going to be ridiculously simple, but we'll see.

Thank Post
    Have you sent the parents (or the parents group) in the site to be SLK Observers? This also triggers for it to pull the users picture through.

I should also warn you that the My Children webpart is a data protection risk. When the image is displayed the end user can see the URL of the image should they right click the image and then properties. If they then put that URL (with out the file name) into a browser they are taken to the document library of all the photos that are set up. All the parents have permission to see all the kids photos from the school, browse and download.

Please consider this before the use of the webpart

6. 2 Thanks to apearce:

rpwillis (26th November 2008), todav (26th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Hi Alex,

That's a very good point. Easily sorted by putting individual permissions on the photos in the document library though.

Richard
    SalamanderSoft

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That almost sounds as if you are volunteering to knock up a quick document about it ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    Have you sent the parents (or the parents group) in the site to be SLK Observers?
    Yay! Thanks for that. We hadn't come across it anywhere in the documentation, but that was the thing that was missing.

Thank Post
    Hi everyone,

as the person who's doing the work on our VLE I would like to say thanks for the above pointer, as todav has said, we now have the My Children webpart working.

However, on to the next problem, it only seems to work when integrated authentication is switched off and basic authentication is on. I've read elsewhere that this is the correct behaviour, the My Children webpart does not support integrated authentication. I was wondering if anybody has managed to get around this?

Thank you in advance

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread