+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle - Stop Editing Teachers Changing Blocks On Front Page in Technical; Hiya I want to allow Editing Teachers to change blocks on courses. I don't want them to be able to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moodle - Stop Editing Teachers Changing Blocks On Front Page

Hiya

I want to allow Editing Teachers to change blocks on courses. I don't want them to be able to change the blocks on the home page.

If i prohibit the permission "Manage Site Level Blocks" in permissions it does the trick for the front page but they are unable to edit blocks in courses then.

How do i do what i want to do?

Possibly a way to hide the "Turn Editing On" on the front page for Editing Teachers?

Hope that made sense

Thanks

Thank Post
    Look in Site Admin>Front Page>Front Page Roles and see if you have the teachers in there. If you have, get rid of them. They should only have the teacher roles in their faculty courses.

3. Thanks to beeswax from:

FN-GM (15th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Look in Site Admin>Front Page>Front Page Roles and see if you have the teachers in there. If you have, get rid of them. They should only have the teacher roles in their faculty courses.
    Cheers Beexwax

Front page settings, in override permissions i prohibit the permission "Manage Site Level Blocks, and it works a treat. But one snag is they can still edit the main menu, it is the same way on your VLE as well.

Thanks again

Z

5. Thanks to FN-GM from:

beeswax (15th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Here is my default setup for Moodle permissions:

Everyone logs in, when they login the become an ''Authenticated User''

- Site Administration -> Permissions -> User Policies

Default Role for All Users = Authenticated User (drop down)

Now this means that when they login they can view there profile, manage there blog etc...But doesnt give them student or teacher permission on the front page.

As soon as a User selects a course they wish to view, that they are enrolled on, moodle assigns them the correct permissions. So a Teacher clicks on Year 8 English, aslong as they are assigned as a Teacher to Year 8 english they are assigned the correct permission. Likewise for students.

I dont allow my courses to be enrollable, so only students enrolled by staff can enter a course. Teachers manage the enrollments themselves (set changes etc..)

I then use the front page permission to assign administrators to moodle, admin staff to update site news, and then any misc assignments i need to make - Head of Curriculum - Assigned him as a hidden site wide teacher so he can view all courses.

----

Of course in your Moodle it appears teachers have been setup on the front page, this probably is so that you dont have to manually assign teachers to each of there classes and they can just roam about?

Thank Post
    I agree with DanIT I really wouldn't advise having your teachers assigned to front page (or even site wide ) roles; you just dont know what bother they might cause! I know it might be a drag to put them in their own area (but you could add them to the category rather than individual courses; that's less of a drag) but at least that way they can't do anything to the front page but have sufficient control of their subject area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    Here is my default setup for Moodle permissions:

Everyone logs in, when they login the become an ''Authenticated User''

- Site Administration -> Permissions -> User Policies

Default Role for All Users = Authenticated User (drop down)

Now this means that when they login they can view there profile, manage there blog etc...But doesnt give them student or teacher permission on the front page.

As soon as a User selects a course they wish to view, that they are enrolled on, moodle assigns them the correct permissions. So a Teacher clicks on Year 8 English, aslong as they are assigned as a Teacher to Year 8 english they are assigned the correct permission. Likewise for students.

I dont allow my courses to be enrollable, so only students enrolled by staff can enter a course. Teachers manage the enrollments themselves (set changes etc..)

I then use the front page permission to assign administrators to moodle, admin staff to update site news, and then any misc assignments i need to make - Head of Curriculum - Assigned him as a hidden site wide teacher so he can view all courses.

----

Of course in your Moodle it appears teachers have been setup on the front page, this probably is so that you dont have to manually assign teachers to each of there classes and they can just roam about?
    But doing that teachers cannot make there own courses.

Thank Post
    Well in that case you can takes Secretlife's advice and assign all teachers of a specific subject to a catergory as a course creator so that they cannot create to much havoc.

You could use the 'Course Request' option: Course request - MoodleDocs

Or, Create a new Role in Moodle which is a direct copy of the Authenticated User Role and give that Role the 'Course Creator' capability and then just assign teacher to the role globally across Moodle.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    But one snag is they can still edit the main menu, it is the same way on your VLE as well.

Thanks again

Z
    If you prohibit the group to manage activates on the front page that will sort that problem out. It sorted it out on mine.

Doing that they have no edit button at all.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

I've been trying all the above mentioned settings, but unfortunately, none worked for me.

Can anyone let me know with what capabilities a teacher should be created so that front-page settings don't appear for the teacher.

Cheers,
    duke

Thank Post
    Front page settings should not appear for a teacher by default as they cannot edit the front page. All they should have is the navigation block and in the Settings/Administration block (name depends on your version of Moodle) their own profile settings. What are they seeing extra? If you are sure you haven't tweaked the teacher role elsewhere then you could go to Site admin>users>permissions>define roles>teacher and then reset the role back to its default. And check in Assign system roles that teachers aren't listed there (which they shouldn't be)

Thank Post
    Thnx for the reply.

Actually I wanted to allow my teachers to create their course, so I had enabled the capabilities of a course-creator to the teacher as well.

I guess, this would have triggered front-page settings for teachers.

Also when I disable this capability moodle/course:update, then the front-page settings don't appear any more and teachers can still update their courses. But this isn't I want.

So please tell me how to proceed with this scenario.

Thank Post
    How about making them course creators in categories instead of site wide? They would presumably only be creating courses in their own departments anyway, which I'd expect would be one category? Just a thought.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread