+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle, SIMS and Windows in Technical; Originally Posted by apeo penfold, what language are you scripts written in and can we have a look at em? ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    penfold, what language are you scripts written in and can we have a look at em?
    They are in vbscript, you can once i have attached a GPL licence to it.
    I also need to remove one manual exception i had to put in.

is it possible to know the format of your username and how you ad OU are laid out? As the script is quick strict in the structure they it can work with.

Thank Post
    I work with Alan so thats how our usernames are made up and as to our ad its:

Student
    - <year of entry>

eg

Student

etc.

As its in vbscripts i should be able to make the required changes. Its the moodle plugin that im not sure about. Dont know enough of php or how moodle works.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That sounds pretty cool, are you going to publish any of it?
    Yes, it was actually that dodgy Python script that I posted a while back, the one that I could get to install as a Windows service but not uninstall - kind of a one-way installation choice. Still haven't figured that bit out...

There isn't an argument about EULA, because we asked capita and they said it was fine, our LEA didn't have a problem either and it seems nor do the OFT.
    I figure if Capita don't have a proper API for writing back to SIMS then we'll concentrate on sorting out a better replacement.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I work with Alan so thats how our usernames are made up and as to our ad its:

Student
    - <year of entry>

eg

Student

etc.

As its in vbscripts i should be able to make the required changes. Its the moodle plugin that im not sure about. Dont know enough of php or how moodle works.
    Hi apeo,

What is the format of the username as so far the script will work without any changes to the logic

Thank Post
    Username is made up of 3 elements, <intake year><reg group><adno> so for example if the student is this years year 7, in reg group A and adno is 3104 then it will be as follows:

08A3104

Thank Post
    Username is made up of 3 elements, <intake year><reg group><adno> so for example if the student is this years year 7, in reg group A and adno is 3104 then it will be as follows:

08A3104
    you have the same format as alan-d, this will be a simple change to implement.

Once i have finish removing our custom requirements i will edit a version for you, you can put it in reporting mode see if it could work.

7. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

apeo (24th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I found the complaint that the OFT upheld against capita, it suggests to me that if Capita tried to prevent direct read and write access to SQL server it would be uncompetitive:
    CN - after reading this extract I came to a slightly different conclusion. That Capita can prevent direct read and write access to the SIMS database but have given a voluntary assurance to make the interfaces to allow access to be database to be made available under reasonable commercial terms. I think this is a significant difference ?

Also where does it say the complaint was upheld ? If it had been wouldn't Capita have been found guilty and fined ? Can't recall reading about that.
    Last edited by Tonyoung; 24th October 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    CN - after reading this extract I came to a slightly different conclusion. That Capita can prevent direct read and write access to the SIMS database but have given a voluntary assurance to make the interfaces to allow access to be database to be made available under reasonable commercial terms. I think this is a significant difference ?

Also where does it say the complaint was upheld ? If it had been wouldn't Capita have been found guilty and fined ? Can't recall reading about that.
    It would still be uncompetitive as capita forces a third party to use windows so it can interface with its API.

If the competing solution was based on linux, Capitas Api is useless.

If the project is Open Source, Capita's API costs are unreasonable in commercial terms as there are no funds avaliable to pay for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post

maybe you should re-read the last paragraph

The OFT, assisted by an independent IT Expert, initially concluded that, whilst Capita used an appropriate technical method of access, there were competition concerns about making the availability of the necessary interface information to use this method of access conditional on the supply of an interface written and charged for by Capita.

When informed of the OFT's initial conclusions, Capita offered voluntary assurances covering the disclosure to Bromcom of interface information to enable access to data on Capita's Microsoft SQL Server, subject to the agreement of commercial terms2.
    Following receipt of the Voluntary Assurances, the Office believes its competition concerns have been allayed and has subsequently closed its investigation.

Thank Post

Accessing SIMS data

My interpretation of the situation is that Capita cannot deny access to the data held, however their preferred method for third party users to access it is via SIMS reporting - generation of xml reports containg the data required and then subsequent processing of these data files. They provide an SDK which includes details on schduled batch programs.

Thank Post
    Those of you out there that export information using the commandreporter and import the data into Moodle, can i ask how you import the data into Moodle?

Thank Post
    Ok I've been playing with this quite a bit now and im currently testing CyberNerds solution but I've hit a wall. It seems that moodle cant talk to my MS Sql server and the only error i can find is as follows:

[ENROL_DB] Could not make a connection

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    have you done this?
    Installing MSSQL for PHP - MoodleDocs

edit: to clarify, the moodle database can (and should) stay in mysql, but you need to set up the freetds and phpmssql to be able to get the connection to the SIMS server

Thank Post
    Ok I've made changes to php config but we run apache 2.2 on a windows 2003 server. Php is also installed. Same error comes up.

Thank Post
    Man this is frustrating, I've gotten to the state now that php no longer reports an error but i dont think any courses are being autocreated. Im not sure exactly what I'm suppose see really but i dont think its working, only now its not even giving me any errors.

I found out (with the help of penfold_99) that i couldnt connect to the sql server using mssql_connect and it was down to ntwdblib.dll. This now works but moodle still didnt. I messed around with the config abit and found that if i state the host in the following format it stops giving errors:

Code:
    Hostname,port i.e. ServerName,1433
    instead of Hostname:Port i.e. ServerName:1433
    The reason i used ',' instead of ':' is that mssql_connect host is stated in that format but mssql_pconnect uses the ':' format of defining port. mssql_pconnect doesnt work at the moment.

Any ideas... anything at all..
    Last edited by apeo; 8th January 2009 at 11:12 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast