+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, LP+ VLE in Technical; Interesting. I was wondering about this option myself. I use a CMS for work and thought that Moodle could be ...

Thank Post
    Interesting. I was wondering about this option myself. I use a CMS for work and thought that Moodle could be integrated with it to deliver a VLE.

Is it the case that someone with good design skills could modify Moodle to make it a little less ugly?

Kind regards, Richard

Thank Post
    I'm aware of efforts to integrate Moodle with various CMS, Mambo (or more recently now Joomla) even though technically with some modules/blocks/etc it can function quite happily as it's own self contained CMS/Site.

Yep, I'm sure someone with some creative flair could sort out our design problems!

DanIT has made some good progress with his Edugeek Moodle theme demo'd here or for more info here.

Thank Post
    Thanks. This demo version looks more promising.

Kind regards, Richard

Thank Post
    Glad to help Richard, get in touch if you want a natter about it all.

Thank Post
    Played with it at a primary school and it was far too OTT for that level.
    I'd really recommend Moodle as a fantastic free alternative, obviously a local 'in the know' person would maintain it
    LP+ is good for many things and was a pleasure to work with as a first glance into the VLE world, but for ease of use you can't knock Moodle, it does what it needs to and it does it simply and effectively.
    Why tie yourselves to contracts when there are plenty of experienced users who are willing to help local schools?

Thank Post
    kmount, what are you doing thursday afternoon mate?
    I've booked the Thursday and Friday off, any possibilities I could pop in and have a look at what you guys are doing?
    PM me mate

Thank Post
    PM Sent.

Thank Post
    HI. I head up the education strategy and engagement team for LP+ in NCC. I was brought in to work with NCC back in September - things have moved on a long way (ask them)! We are committed to working with schools to ensure the platform becomes a key way to improve school organisation, communication & collaboration, info mgt, teaching & learning and broadcasting - our ADOPT framework, included in the contract extension for NCC schools, gives school steps and support in each of these areas. To keep you up-to-date:

We have extended provision and this includes a £100k investment in kit and site rebuilds to improve performance although at the risk of annoying kmount many schools do have 'connectivity' issues which impacts service (BTW this rebuild is being prioritised right now so don't wait around if you want to be put near the front of the list)
    We have solved many 'performance' issues through tweaking caching settings in schools
    We are hiring 3 full-time consultants to work closely with Northamptonshire schools on using the platform successfully (see today's TES)
    The CC 14-19 strategy is being delivered through LP+ and this is where all content will sit
    We are working with secondaries to re-design interface of sites (much needed I know!)
    Our parental engagment pilot is looking really good in terms of results
    Many collaboration projects run through the platform and this WILL grow in the coming year
    I am working directly with leadership teams to ensure the platform delivers against school vision and policy objectives
    and so on...

If you want to know more then I am in NCC every Wed and Fri - or am available on sarah.armstrong@lpplus.com for further info, Q&A OR access to the support/resources I describe above!!

Thank Post
    Sarah,

Can I suggest you liaise with Tony Sheppard at NCC and actually come and see us sometime as whilst I appreciate your words in solving many issues there has been zero communications to certainly my site where we've been instrumental in trying to help.

Poking in the dark comes to mind.

Nonetheless; it's pleasing to see someone taking some sight in trying to push forward through what has become a standing joke within the county.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Flippin' 'eck Sarah ... don't tell them they can push to the front. I've already got people pushing as it is!

Thank Post

Demand is a good thing!!!

Hi I won't make any promises I can't keep, don't worry. kmount and I have been chatting offline and I'll be going in to see them in the next few weeks to figure out the best way forward. I'm sure progress will unfold in this forum...

Thank Post
    Yes, I can attest to that.

Hearing from Sarah with plans and ideas including the fabled site visit is music to my ears. I'm thoroughly pleased with the proposal and will look forward to working through this with her.

Kim.

Thank Post
    I've just met with Sarah and seen some of the newly rebuilt sites whilst she too witnessed and was appalled by the current site performance we have.

I can't put into words how pleased I am with the enthusiasm and drive she has and I'm certain the future will be bright!

Thank Post
    Remembering back to the original tuition I was given on LP+, quite a while ago, there was some talk regarding email, and whether the Synetrix EMBC email addresses could be used within LP+ (and a single-sign on). Did this progress any further? Or does LP+ still work with completely different emails?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still uses separate email systems, but shortly to begin testing on using single sign-on. I have a school to trial this with already and will feed back as soon as I can. Most of the work recently has been to get the new sites setup on the new hardware ... Pretty much everyone I have spoken to has been happy about the performance now and happy with the new designs too.

Primaries are being worked on at the moment. Keep an eye on the Schools Fact Sheet for more info and LP+ are sending out bulk emails to schools to keep them up to date too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast