+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SIMS and Uniservity in Technical; Anybody done the SIMS integration that establishes a connection between the users in Uniservity cLc and school SIMS system yet?...
    Thank Post

SIMS and Uniservity

Anybody done the SIMS integration that establishes a connection between the users in Uniservity cLc and school SIMS system yet?

Thank Post
    We have Uniservity coming in to do a sales pitch to SMT on Monday. Anything you want me to ask them?

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

conehead (25th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    We have Uniservity coming in to do a sales pitch to SMT on Monday. Anything you want me to ask them?
    I'm sure you will have plenty of questions yourself, but a couple that are interesting me. Why is the data sent from SIMS to Uniservity HTTP not HTTPS, and if it's encrypted, how?

Plus I'm a bit nervous about how much and how detailed the info is, which is moved every night with the updates.

username, firstname, surname, year group and whether they're a child or not is maybe understandable but phone numbers and addresses and anything else strikes me as overkill, if you really need this info you should be going into SIMS in school for it and I'm nervous about security and data protection issues with making this available on the Internet through Uniservity.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I have a few.

when will uniservity be able to write back to sims?
    when will there be single sign on with the schools domain ie AD intergration?

As these were promised to use months and months ago and they have yet to appear and so we dumped uniservity and stayed with moodle.

When will the forums act like problem forums (text formatting is rubbish)

Ask questions from a technical point of view not a usability one.

Have you signed up yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Anybody done the SIMS integration that establishes a connection between the users in Uniservity cLc and school SIMS system yet?
    I've got the documentation but haven't done it.

Thank Post
    I've got a couple, but they're not SIMs related.

Does the Uniservity database still hold user passwords in plain text?

When is the promised templating system going to be implemented?

Thank Post
    Thank you for your responses. I will try to answer them one at a time

First
    "Why is the data sent from SIMS to Uniservity HTTP not HTTPS, and if it's encrypted, how?"

The UniServity MIS client communicates with the cLc via a web service over SSL, all communication including auto updates are sent via HTTPS.

Originally, when the first MIS integration client was released, some communication, such as the auto update communicated with the web service via a standard HTTP connection. However, any information sent via HTTP was always encrypted. If you would like to know further details please send a request to the UniServity Service Desk.

Second
    "Plus I'm a bit nervous about how much and how detailed the info is, which is moved every night with the updates."

I can confirm the following fields are transferred

Pupil information

• Legal or preferred Forename (selected in the client software)
    • Legal or preferred Surname (selected in the client software)
    • Curriculum Year
    • Date of birth
    • Own email
    • UPN - as an internal reference only

Staff information (if the report is select in the client)

• Title
    • Legal Forename
    • Preferred Surname
    • email
    • Staff Code - as an internal reference

Third
    "when will uniservity be able to write back to sims?
    when will there be single sign on with the schools domain ie AD intergration?"

We are working on writing back to SIMS, but this is part of our product strategy and needs to fall in line with other items of work.
    We are also working on Active Directory integration and have made commitments to local authorities to ensure that this delivered in the coming months.

Forth
    "Does the Uniservity database still hold user passwords in plain text?"

Absolutely not. All passwords in the database are encrypted and stored. We have also added a number of additional security features around passwords to increase the security further.

Fifth
    "When is the promised templating system going to be implemented?"

Assuming this is referring to having template skins for schools? If so, this is will be addressed as part of a wider project being undertaken by UniServity although I can't provide you with a timeframe

Thank Post

what is the truth?

has anyone actually got this to work fully not just transferring basic pupil data but real integration?
    we are thinking of buying capita's learning gateway thinking that might do the trick, but will it? will that link seemlessly with Uniservity?
    what are Uniservity telling people as we seem to be getting the message from them that it was never designed to do this, but contract with them says it does !!!!
    So what are the options? will Capita ever let anyone access their webparts or are all SIMS users doomed to failure and if so why did BECTA approve Uniservity?
    big questions I know
    anyione got any ideas or possible solutions?

Thank Post
    has anyone actually got this to work fully not just transferring basic pupil data but real integration?
    At present all it seems to do is take user information from SIMS and put it on the cLc to create the users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbear1 View Post
    we are thinking of buying capita's learning gateway thinking that might do the trick, but will it? will that link seemlessly with Uniservity?
    what are Uniservity telling people as we seem to be getting the message from them that it was never designed to do this, but contract with them says it does !!!!
    AB1 - can you define the data you wish to write back to SIMS ? UniServity runs on a different platform to SIMS and is hosted remotely so getting data back to local school servers is going to be a challenge. The easiest option for Uniservity maybe to supply a web part that drops into the Capita learning gateway.
    What contract are you talking about ?

Thank Post
    I don't know the university system but the reply from university leads me to assume that if there are class groups in uniservity you have to provisison them yourselves. From the data supplied the provisioning of class groups cannot occur!

Pupil information

Legal or preferred Forename (selected in the client software)
    Legal or preferred Surname (selected in the client software)
    Curriculum Year
    Date of birth
    Own email
    UPN - as an internal reference only

Most systems take from MIS class lists and put students in to class groups for sites, activities and so on. Some do this dynamically so when a student changes class in the MIS it occurs the following day in the learning Platform.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    I don't know the university system but the reply from university leads me to assume that if there are class groups in uniservity you have to provisison them yourselves. From the data supplied the provisioning of class groups cannot occur!

Pupil information

Legal or preferred Forename (selected in the client software)
    Legal or preferred Surname (selected in the client software)
    Curriculum Year
    Date of birth
    Own email
    UPN - as an internal reference only

Most systems take from MIS class lists and put students in to class groups for sites, activities and so on. Some do this dynamically so when a student changes class in the MIS it occurs the following day in the learning Platform.
    I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here but if pupils are in classes in SIMS then these classes are automatically imported.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Sorry to hijack but i've successfully done the SIMS > Uniservity integration too.

My issue is this:

My students, staff AND Classes are successfully being automatically read from SIMS. What isn't being done is the mapping of items against SIMS Classes - that is to say, class 8FrFr2 is a year 8 French class taught by 'Mr Rennee'

Sims told uniservity it had a user called 'Mr Rennee'
    Sims told uniservity it had a class 8FrFr2
    Sims told uniservity class 8FrFr2 was a French class
    Sims told uniservity class 8FrFr2 was a year 8 class

Why cant the system create the subject areas and associated permissions for me as it already has all the info? I want pupils to logon and only see links relevant to them?

TIA
    Jody

Thank Post
    so it only assigns the teacher to the class not the pupils?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    so it only assigns the teacher to the class not the pupils?
    No. Teachers are put together with their classes. You get separate classes imported, year groups as a whole and staff as a whole.

Classes - 7FrFr2/8FrFr2/9FrFr2 etc
    Years - Year 7/Year 8/Year 9 etc
    Staff - Needs no explanation

Why cant the system create the subject areas and associated permissions for me as it already has all the info? I want pupils to logon and only see links relevant to them?
    I'm guessing the system doesn't know that FrFr2 is a French class and plus you may want to show other pages to the pupils too.

I think I'm right in saying that no other VLE will automatically create the areas on the site, like you want, using the data imported from SIMS but I am not entirely sure of this so correct me if I am wrong.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast