+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, RM Kaleidos And Sims in Technical; hate it at the moment, are any other schools that have the above setup having problems with class lists, reg ...

Thank Post

RM Kaleidos And Sims

hate it at the moment, are any other schools that have the above setup having problems with class lists, reg groups etc not updating due to a problem with Kaleidos not being able to look at the schools new time table as ours is stuck on last years and was told by Kaleidos it could take 6-8 weeks to sort it out as they don't know what the problem is at the moment

Thank Post

Yes , us too

Since we upgraded to version 2 Kaleidos in the summer we have had this timetables issue and groups not getting through to the VLE. We've tried a couple of tools RM sent through, but still having problems.

Has anyone else got a problem with some kids not being able to upload stuff to their myspace? Seems to be random kids.

We're quite new to Kaleidos and getting people to use it is not easy with all these issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Issue is down to a bug in sims.net the fix from Capita got given to RM this week they are just testing it in fact it went on at 5:30 as we are testing it for RM.

The patch will be part of Novembers upgrade if capita can get it into the release in Time. But if not i suspect RM will release the patch to schools before then.

Russ

Thank Post
    We have a problem with no attendance data coming through to Kaleidos which we have been told will be fixed by the sims November update. Is this connected with the timetable problem do you think?

Will we be able to get the timetable patch without waiting for our LA to release the November update?

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know we are not alone!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I didn't read thread correctly when I posted to clarify.

Patch is to fix attendance bug with capita as for getting it early phone support and ask them to put your name forward to get it early.

As for timetable issue you should of had a an email asking you to run a tool that fixes the issue in a temp measure and then route cause will be fixed in next upgrade of the DX software I would guess.

Russ

6. Thanks to russdev from:

PaulDH (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Ttable issues should be resolved and corrected for past portal installation before Sept.

all portals installed after Sept seem to have been fine for us.

We also have the slow attendance issue but it seems to complete eventually, a lot of people I have spoken to say there attendance just falls over but its probably due to the amount of good hardware we have in schools that it does eventually complete rather than time out like others.

As already mentioned awaiting a Nov Capita fix for this!

Fin

Thank Post

RM/SIMS concerns

We are just about to embark upon the Kaleidos route with RM, however reading these posts I am a little concerned about its integration with SIMS.
    Do these issues arise often?
    Has Kaleidos really improved in the last few years?
    Sorry to ask so much, but we need to "go in with our eyes open" with this project.
    Many thanks in advance for any replies.
    Paul

Thank Post
    Never, Never, Never go with RM's LP its really bad......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwblade View Post
    Never, Never, Never go with RM's LP its really bad......
    Disagree but then that is my view. What version of lp are you currently using? No major issues good support and new assessment stuff is very good. But then that is just my experience.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Disagree but then that is my view. What version of lp are you currently using? No major issues good support and new assessment stuff is very good. But then that is just my experience.

Russ
    So says the RM guy.

I prefer SIMS, still never really worked with RM MIS stuff. Whatever product your get, make sure it does everything you want now (rather then waiting for devs to make it).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am not an rm guy just clarify I work for a RM Pioneer school I am employed by the school (that is matter of public record).

When it comes to it just saying how we have found it and we have found it ok to use no major problems. Longest issue we had was when RM was waiting on capita.

I will always post based on my experience and will always give my honest view and I am sorry if this view disagrees with your view but again that does not mean my or your view is wrong. As said before sometimes rm solution is good for a school sometimes it is not.

Russ

Thank Post
    I am not an rm guy just clarify I work for a RM Pioneer school I am employed by the school (that is matter of public record).

For the record you appear to like RM and use it heavily, rather then actually working for RM (otherwise I'll call you Mr RM )

Would my comment of you're love of all things RM, over say linux\vanilla windows\etc be correct?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok I didnt think you thought I worked for them but need to clarify that otherwise I get ranted emails sent to me.

No I talk about RM because I offer my experience people ask for views but dislike me when we say we found the product useful. But we run all sorts here including linux (granted not at desktop level but at server level). Also we have ran vanilla setups as well as RM setups in the past.

If also look I have never (well think did once) said bad word any company/supplier on edugeek as my own view I feel that should be last resort and I mean last last resort.

Also when it comes to it whatever view I have over one solution or another is besides point as it is what is best for the school. I never said that people who had issues with rm are wrong in fact I have always tried to help members who were having issues with RM as my contact base within RM is extensive that get senior people to take a stake in the problem and get things sorted.

Again I offer my experience not just on RM other week I helped member on here with job searching as they wanted contact with in a school to ask some questions over potential job.

But then I also accept people will have perception of me because of my visibility and public persona as to say. But that is nature of forums and work I do with EG and to be honest I have been called lost worst than an ‘RM guy’ so no problem

I do not prefer any solution over each other each one has it merits depending on the school.

Russ

Thank Post
    Also when it comes to it whatever view I have over one solution or another is besides point as it is what is best for the school.
    Russ
    Or, perhaps even more, what is best for the subject. I teach Design and Technology and Art and it seems next to useless in those subjects. I taught Science as well at my last school (but only yrs 7 and 8) and I could see it working more in that situation... but still rather long-winded and a bit round-the-houses to use whatever subject one is talking about!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread