+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Would any VLE suite our needs? letters home in Technical; We're looking into various different VLE's and I plan to have a play around with Moodle at some point, one ...
    Thank Post

Would any VLE suite our needs? letters home

We're looking into various different VLE's and I plan to have a play around with Moodle at some point, one thing my line manager would like to be able to do is to post computerised copies of each letter we send home on to our website/VLE and to allow parents to reply online, do any of the current VLE's offer this functionality out of the box?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'm sure you could set that up as an assignment in moodle

Thank Post
    I noticed that you are based in London. AS such I would recommend looking at the LGFL offering of Fronter (they re brand it the LMLE). LONDON MLE - Powered by Fronter they say that 40% of London Secondary schools have signed up to it. Though this may go up and down depending on BSF.

Of course there are other cheaper and possibly better products out there but there is a lot to be said for the power of collective bargaining and common platform with other school (especially for 14-19).

If you are based at a primary school there are quite a few examples of that too.

Also it does have a way of creating users for parents based on mobile phone numbers stored in your database. which has the advantage that one parent with several children only need have one login.

Thank Post
    Something like Sharepoint would allow you to do that for your parents with very limited knowledge needed to get it up and running out of the box.

The more adventurous you wanted to be with it, would mean you would need to be more IT literate both with setting it up and end users using it.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, I'll look into using moodle assignments.

We're an independant Prep school so the LGFL's offering won't apply to us unfourtunatly. I think I'll give moodle/sharepoint a go for now

Thank Post

hi

Look at the 'online text' assignment. You could use the Moodle forum but then their answers would be publicly viewable. But if you're only needing them to say they received it (not write a reply in depth) then a Choice instance would work as all they'd need to do was hit the button. (Particularly if you are thinking re parental competence in ICT)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    We're looking into various different VLE's and I plan to have a play around with Moodle at some point, one thing my line manager would like to be able to do is to post computerised copies of each letter we send home on to our website/VLE and to allow parents to reply online, do any of the current VLE's offer this functionality out of the box?
    Bulletin Board.

Seriously. For that level of functionality, you don't need anything more, users are comfortable with it and you have a large selection of well developed and robust software to choose from, some of it free.

Free:

PHPbb
    SMF

Small fee:

vBulletin
    Invision Power Board

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread