+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, WSS3 does not search subsites from root on AAM in Technical; I've recently noticed that searching on the root site is a little bit broken. This has worked in the past, ...
  1. #1
    meastaugh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London/Hertfordshire
    Posts
    893
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 85 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    33

    WSS3 does not search subsites from root on AAM



    I've recently noticed that searching on the root site is a little bit broken. This has worked in the past, but I've recently had SLG2 installed, as well as install all available Windows Updates and KB913384 and KB949399 to address an issue I had with the timer service crashing.

    I have WSS3 SP1 with SQL Internal/embedded database. One of the updates I installed, managed to lock out the database by changing the permissions on the database files. From what I've read, this occured because one of the updates made a security change to SQL. As I had moved the database files from their original location of (%systemroot%\sysmsi) to another drive, the correct permissions weren't set by the update.

    If I search from the default mapping, all searches return as expected.

    If I search the root site on the extranet AAM, no results are returned.
    If I search a list in the root site on the extranet AAM, results are returned.
    If I search a subsite of the root site on the extranet AAM, resuts are returned.

    Any ideas? thanks.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    747
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Hiya,

    sorry i'm not offering a solution to your problem, but how did you move the embedded sql databse to another location. We are having space issues on the C drive and are looking to relocate the sharepoint stuff to another drive.

    Any instructions, recommended practice when doing this?

    TIA,

    Ash.

  3. #3
    meastaugh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London/Hertfordshire
    Posts
    893
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 85 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Hi Ashok,

    It's easy enough to do it from command line with osql:
    WSS/MOSS v3 FAQ - Databases: How do you move the "Windows Internal...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    747
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    Hi Ashok,

    It's easy enough to do it from command line with osql:
    WSS/MOSS v3 FAQ - Databases: How do you move the "Windows Internal...
    Thanks for that i'll give it a go. We have on file called SharePoint_Config_303f303d-a54f-4b66-a754-524d8bdd54d8_log.LDF

    which is taking up 11Gb which is strange as this is the log file. I have tried to do a backup which succeeds but it doesn't appear to shrink the log file.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Ash.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    418
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 176 Times in 111 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    I'll see if I can solve both problems here

    1. Database Log file - (reduce size)
    Its something you do in SQL 2005 - they is an option you click on to shrink the database when you right click on it.

    Make sure you have completed a full database which clears all the transactions logs. This does not reduce the size of you ldf file.

    In SQL Server Management Studio Express, on the left hand side, right click on your database, Tasks->Shrink->File - select the file type (log) and run.

    2. Search
    Moving the search is not easy and hardly ever works - its best to stop the services in central admin (which deletes the current index) and start them again in a new location. You will be prompted about this when you stop the search. Make sure you stop and start the service in windows services as well.

    A.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    747
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    Hi Ashok,

    It's easy enough to do it from command line with osql:
    WSS/MOSS v3 FAQ - Databases: How do you move the "Windows Internal...
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    I'll see if I can solve both problems here

    1. Database Log file - (reduce size)
    Its something you do in SQL 2005 - they is an option you click on to shrink the database when you right click on it.

    Make sure you have completed a full database which clears all the transactions logs. This does not reduce the size of you ldf file.

    In SQL Server Management Studio Express, on the left hand side, right click on your database, Tasks->Shrink->File - select the file type (log) and run.

    2. Search
    Moving the search is not easy and hardly ever works - its best to stop the services in central admin (which deletes the current index) and start them again in a new location. You will be prompted about this when you stop the search. Make sure you stop and start the service in windows services as well.

    A.
    apearce,

    Does SQL Server Management Studio express also support the windows embedded database?

    Ash.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    418
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 176 Times in 111 Posts
    Rep Power
    43

  8. #8
    meastaugh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London/Hertfordshire
    Posts
    893
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 85 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    I don't think it does, since Embedded is only used by certain MS products (sharepoint, WSUS etc), it doesn't have the same performance limitations as Express, and it doesn't allow the studio interface.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    747
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    I had a go at shrinking the database but it didn't work its still the same size. I think its as mike says something to do with the sql embedded version.

    I'll see if there is a way to backup of the log to reduce the size.

    Thanks for your help guys.

    Ash.

  10. #10
    meastaugh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London/Hertfordshire
    Posts
    893
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 85 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    I had a go at shrinking the database but it didn't work its still the same size. I think its as mike says something to do with the sql embedded version.

    I'll see if there is a way to backup of the log to reduce the size.

    Thanks for your help guys.

    Ash.
    Did the studio refuse connection to the embedded instance (MICROSOFT##SSEE)? That's what I usually get.

    Edit: My mistake. Can connect with studio if the server is specified as: np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 2nd September 2008 at 08:45 AM.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    747
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    Did the studio refuse connection to the embedded instance (MICROSOFT##SSEE)? That's what I usually get.

    Edit: My mistake. Can connect with studio if the server is specified as: np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query
    HI Mike,

    No the studio actually did connect and i could access the database etc and can nagivate to backup the databases etc.

    There also a query editor as well so you can do the T-SQL in there against a db.

    Ash.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. RSS Aggregator for WSS3
    By meastaugh1 in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th May 2008, 12:23 PM
  2. Demonstrating WSS3 niftyness
    By TechMonkey in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th January 2008, 03:01 PM
  3. WSS3 & web parts
    By beeswax in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th April 2007, 07:22 PM
  4. Installing WSS3 on Virtual PC
    By beeswax in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th January 2007, 03:29 PM
  5. WAIK, WDS, WSS3 released
    By thom in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th November 2006, 09:12 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •