+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Assimilate, vle's and more in Technical; Originally Posted by lindylou This LA, along with the rest of the South West Grid, has had the Ramesys VLE ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Assimilate, vle's and more

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    This LA, along with the rest of the South West Grid, has had the Ramesys VLE Assimilate (known to us as the SWGfL Portal) available to schools for 2 years, but with the arrival of the BECTA inter-operability standards and DfES plans for Learning platforms, it's going to be an interesting few years!
    lea' still using that one good thing la did here was drop assimilate....

as said if you are at edugeek event i am at sure could buy you a drink or two

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Hmm ... there are a number of things for schools to worry about with regards to the whole Learning Platform side of things ... Becta is doing a lot of work and has put out some information, but most of that is going to the wrong people (ie ... not us!)

Look out for the next newsletter where the team hope to have some information for us all about Learning Platforms.

Other than that we hope we can get someone at Becta to have a chat with us here to let us know what is happening and how NMs / techies can advise their schools.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    This LA, along with the rest of the South West Grid, has had the Ramesys VLE Assimilate (known to us as the SWGfL Portal) available to schools for 2 years, but with the arrival of the BECTA inter-operability standards and DfES plans for Learning platforms, it's going to be an interesting few years!
    lea' still using that one good thing la did here was drop assimilate....

as said if you are at edugeek event i am at sure could buy you a drink or two

Russ
    I couldn't possibly comment further about Assimilate, Russ Seems to me no commercial product has won legions of fans, Moodle has won that crown, but it takes real committment from school staff and the LA. Not an easy thing to embed in any organisation.

And thanks for the drink offer, (bribery! tsk tsk ) Maybe if you have a southern conference....?

And Grumbledook - the DfES and Becta have been doing roadshows with a lot of Grids/RBCs, inviting schools to hear about Learning Platforms. Maybe there is one in your area soon? We've just finished our round.

Linda

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

And Grumbledook - the DfES and Becta have been doing roadshows with a lot of Grids/RBCs, inviting schools to hear about Learning Platforms. Maybe there is one in your area soon? We've just finished our round.

Linda
    Yeah ... the RBC has been keeping things quiet round here but there is enough pressure for them now to arrange stuff ... our RBC is working out what they are going to do after April 2007 still (the end of the present contract)

I did speak with a few people at Becta on Friday, and will be having a longer chat with Robin et al next week. They are very keen to get schools on board *before* they spend sillt amounts of money on Learning Platforms, when RBCs / LEAs are doing the same. They also seem to want schools with existing good practice to work with RBCs / LEAs to make sure things actually work.

Good to hear that some areas are getting the info they need.

ps ... love the signature ;-)

Thank Post

Hi all. for some pretty uptodate info on Becta and Learning Platforms (at least open source ones) keep an eye on www.schoolforge.co.uk . have a look at the news section and also the discussion groups (they are found under mailing lists). the main one is running athread about the SEGfL Learning Platform as we speak.

Nick

Thank Post

Re: assimlate, vle's and more

I think there is so much confusion surrounding the VLE thing that its sending out the wrong signals to people esp. schools. If there is a idea by Becta or DFES to make all school move to MLE (managed learning environments) then that needs to either happen fast or delay this, as schools have already started to utilise and successfully use their own custom made VLEs. I'm just worried about the idea of moving to a RBC's VLE or MLE for that matter, imagine the resources and retraining process that will be involved.

My advice to all shcools who haven't got a VLE already is to hold back this idea and see what the LEA and Becta comes up with. Obviously to look good the RBC will go on what Becta and DFES will say. I agree with Tony's point that RBC and Becta should really listen to the people who will be using these services i.e. the school and what kinds of functionality they expect to see in a VLE. Up to now this has not be done and this is the reason schools haven't really adopted the idea of VLE - assimiate was a completely disaster and sadly is an example of this.

The mira point gateway crashes often and is offline causing problems for users. Personally i think the idea of moving to MLE and VLEs is great and i'm up for this but i think Becta should really get the RBCs to deliver the core services i.e. connectivity which is good enough, decent firewall (flexibility - per school basis) and good web filtering with local control. The it can move on to other things that surrounds these core services. I don't know but somehow I get the feeling that too many things are happening too quickly and the real issues are not being addressed.

Ashok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread