+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Kaleidos - help from Kaleidos users needed on an alerts issue in Technical; Can someone using Kaleidos help save my sanity, as I'm in danger of going mad with this problem?? I didn't ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Kaleidos - help from Kaleidos users needed on an alerts issue

Can someone using Kaleidos help save my sanity, as I'm in danger of going mad with this problem??

I didn't receive an email alert about an Interest Group created by our LEA. I just stumbled across it in my Personal Space. When I enquired about why I didn't get an alert, it was suggested that I didn't have my email address in my profile page. But I'd added that during the portal admin training - using the Settings web part on the Staff Home page.

Then another LEA user complained when they created Interest Groups in school no one was being alerted to the groups by email. They had added members as individuals, not groups, as the latter can cause problems with alerts, but no alerts had been generated.

So I raised this with RM. They think, after I hinted, that the likely cause is that users (myself included) haven't added their email addresses to their Personal Space profiles (as opposed to their profiles on the Staff Home). But that is because no one told them to do that in the training, I don't think it says to do that in the manual, and the Settings web part isn't on the Personal Space site by default - users have to add it.

I have been playing around with updating the Profile on both the Staff Home and the Personal Space, and they don't seem to update each other, which seems to be what users would expect as the information all relates to their username. The LEA Interest Group has loads of members, who have all done the portal admin training, but if you bring up the user list for that group only 5% show any email address against their name. Mine is only there because I added it in manually to the user list.

I have been going round in circles with this one with RM. I have created a test Interest Group on my Personal Space and added the users who have done the training, but so far no one seems to have received an alert.

Am I going completely mad?? Have I missed something fundamental about Interest Groups and alerts? Can someone else out there, using this package, give me a definitive answer to this issue? Or point me to the relevant part of the manual that tells you what you must do to get alerts working properly?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is you goto change profile information and then edit the settings and enter address in there.

If got any problems give me a buzz and will try and help you..

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    My understanding is you goto change profile information and then edit the settings and enter address in there.

If got any problems give me a buzz and will try and help you..

Russ
    Sorry. Not making myself clear again.

I know how to enter my email address in change profile. I have done so on the Staff Home page. My issue/problem is that, having entered my email address into the profile on the Staff Home page, I am not getting email alerts when I am added to an Interest Group. Other users in this LEA are having the same problem.

This may be because I also have to put the settings web part onto my Personal Space, click on Change Profile, and enter my email address there too. But I can't find any place in the manuals, or was not told on the training that this was necessary, and I wanted a user of Kaleidos to try and confirm that I needed to do this. My belief was that Kaleidos was an integrated package, and that I would only have to enter information about myself once. It seems that I am now being told that I have to enter the same information onto every site I have access to, even though I log in with one username.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Sorry. Not making myself clear again.

I know how to enter my email address in change profile. I have done so on the Staff Home page. My issue/problem is that, having entered my email address into the profile on the Staff Home page, I am not getting email alerts when I am added to an Interest Group. Other users in this LEA are having the same problem.

This may be because I also have to put the settings web part onto my Personal Space, click on Change Profile, and enter my email address there too. But I can't find any place in the manuals, or was not told on the training that this was necessary, and I wanted a user of Kaleidos to try and confirm that I needed to do this. My belief was that Kaleidos was an integrated package, and that I would only have to enter information about myself once. It seems that I am now being told that I have to enter the same information onto every site I have access to, even though I log in with one username.

Well in theroy cant see why would not work as should just enter email you get the alert.

hmm

Russell

Thank Post
    Well in theory can't see why would not work as should just enter email you get the alert.

hmm

Russell
    My feeling exactly, but for some reason it ain't working as expected in this LEA at least. RM have agreed that something's not right, and are now investigating the issue. To be fair to their support guys, they have always responded promptly to my requests, and even if I don't like the reply (ie. "it can't be done or it doesn't have that functionality") I can't fault them for pursuing a problem and not fobbing me off straight away.

However, something odd is happening with profiles. I emailed one user of Kaleidos in this LEA directly using the address that came up when I clicked her name in a discussion board, and she emailed back to say that she had changed the email address in her profile days ago from her home address to her work address, and now realised that it wasn't updating elsewhere on the system!

Russell, I don't know how far down the line you are with using Kaleidos, and whether you have Interest Groups and discussion boards set up, and I appreciate you are already busy. But if you do get a moment, can you just experiment by changing your email address in your profile and then seeing if that change is replicated on other parts of the portal where your profile can be accessed? Do you know if alerts are working for your Interest Groups? I know it is just as quick in a small school to tell people you've created a group, but Kaleidos is supposed to mean we can create groups across clusters of schools for collaboration, and if alerts aren't working then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the system.

With thanks in advance for any help. And if there are any other Kaleidos users out there...!!

Thank Post
    Anyone?? Surely there must be a user base out there in all these edugeekers....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry been busy recently i will reply to this post later tonight..

Russ

Thank Post
    Sorry been busy recently i will reply to this post later tonight..

Russ
    Busy I can cope with. It's being ignored that upsets me...

But, surely, in all the thousands of edugeekers out there, there must be more than just you using Kaleidos???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post

Busy I can cope with. It's being ignored that upsets me...

But, surely, in all the thousands of edugeekers out there, there must be more than just you using Kaleidos???
    Who said that...

Thank Post
    It's ok folks. You can forget I ever asked. RM have replied and it seems the behaviour that was driving me mad in Kaleidos is normal in Sharepoint.

Basically, each site you have access to has it's own profile. So you have to add your email address to a profile for your Staff Home, and your Personal Space, and, as far as I can make out, each Interest Group you belong to as well. The profile isn't attached solely to your username, but to your username+site.

I am now going to lie down in a very dark room for a very long time...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol

That make sense....

sorry didn't have time to look into it myself but it has just occurred to me I wouldn't be able to help as we are on different version to yourself..

Russ

Thank Post
    lol

That make sense....

Russ
    Does it??? Or were you being sarcastic?

I think what makes sense is that, if I log on, and get access to lots of "sites", then my user details are shared in one form for all those sites. But maybe i just like things to be simple - probably in the wrong job then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But sharepoint is designed by ms so nosense is sense . Where is alex (edugeeks sharepoint god) when you want him..

Russ

Thank Post
    I'm lying in bed try to catch up on some sleep lol

From the sound of what I've just read is, that RM have created a few webparts themselves, mainly this settings web part. This is not something that comes out of the box with sharepoint.

As I haven't got access to the RM system and never have, I can't tell you fully about how it works but here is how the alerts work in sharepoit

Your email address is stored in your active directory attribute and then brought forward to sharepoint. If you don't have it in AD you can enter it manually in your my site. When ever an email is sent it looks at the sharepoint database to get your email and then sends it.

As RM have created a settings web part it depends on what the relationship between the web part and your details stored in AD or your mysite.

Does that make sense?

I'm out for the rest of day but I'll check the post when I get back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @alex

Sorry yes i know you have no access to rm system was wondering about standard share point view...

As for rm side will do some digging this way...

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast