+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, SMS txt via their VLE e.g. Moodle? in Technical; Is anyone using text...

Thank Post

SMS txt via their VLE e.g. Moodle?

Is anyone using text

Thank Post
    no, but i suspect you could sell me some!.

Thank Post
    I can't actually see the overall value in using texts for communicating school > pupils.

Yes, there are people who would be devout users of it, but they are also the ones who try and shoehorn using Twitter into lesson plans.... using technology for just the 'use' of it. No tangible benefits IMHO. <cowers waiting for the 'phd bloggers' to swarm around me and Twitter me to death>

And from an inclusive technology point of view - what about the pupils (probably very very few) who don't have mob phones?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What about the "why haven't you handed in your coursework" type things? What about "have you looked at xxx - it's new and relevant to your class in yyy"?

Moving a bit away from Moodle, if you have electronic registration for each lesson then you can use text to help with internal truancy (child registers in the morning and goes to lesson 1 but doesn't make it to lessone 2)

None of this is essential but I'd guess you could argue that about most IT :-)

To answer the original question, we've looked at it but haven't got very far (but it is on my very long to-do list!)

Thank Post

Smile no but I know a man who could

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    no, but i suspect you could sell me some!.
    no but I know a man who could

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcs View Post
    I can't actually see the overall value in using texts for communicating school > pupils.

Yes, there are people who would be devout users of it, but they are also the ones who try and shoehorn using Twitter into lesson plans.... using technology for just the 'use' of it. No tangible benefits IMHO. <cowers waiting for the 'phd bloggers' to swarm around me and Twitter me to death>

And from an inclusive technology point of view - what about the pupils (probably very very few) who don't have mob phones?
    You do surprise me! The mobile phone is the only technology that just about everyone can use. Communication is the beginning of everything if teachers don't want to communicate with students ok, but why? The technology take a lot of the pain away. Send txt to get them to meet deadlines, show up on time etc. Could keep the kids on track, parents engaged, funding stream coming in and results up. win, win, win. Its all good

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by debm View Post
    You do surprise me! The mobile phone is the only technology that just about everyone can use. Communication is the beginning of everything if teachers don't want to communicate with students ok, but why? The technology take a lot of the pain away. Send txt to get them to meet deadlines, show up on time etc. Could keep the kids on track, parents engaged, funding stream coming in and results up. win, win, win. Its all good
    Do you not think you might be a little bias here?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I agree. It makes sense to talk to students using methods that they understand, its more on their level and therefore more engaging for them. Also social networking is a great way for students to learn.
    I can see that most teachers don't want to do though.

btw, can moodle send ICAL so that teachers set homework by ical to phones/email ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I agree. It makes sense to talk to students using methods that they understand, its more on their level and therefore more engaging for them. Also social networking is a great way for students to learn.
    I can see that most teachers don't want to do though.

btw, can moodle send ICAL so that teachers set homework by ical to phones/email ?
    Yes, Sending txt via moodle or a web application makes it so simple and provides and audit trail. moodletxt plugin - harness the power of edutxt seamlessly from within moodle. Yes I do have in depth knowledge of the technology/company but I could say the same for email, VLEs etc. As a consultant I am interested in tools that will make a difference and I want to know what users are thinking about it and using.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread