+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Which VLE Moodle, Digital Brain, Oracle, Fronter, SIMS LG in Technical; Can people say which VLE they use and why? Moodle seems to be very popular but oher than being free ...

Thank Post

Which VLE Moodle, Digital Brain, Oracle, Fronter, SIMS LG

Can people say which VLE they use and why?

Moodle seems to be very popular but oher than being free in both senses, is it really the best one on the market.

Thank Post

Re: Which VLE Moodle, Digital Brain, Oracle, Fronter, SIMS LG

Moodle here , cost for one, and secondly for popularity really. With more and more folks using moodle, its garnering a decent community, which is handy for modding and troubleshooting

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Moodle here as well.

http://vle.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk

Thank Post

We've got moodle, but no-one seems to be making much use of it at the moment.

If anyone has some flashy content they'd like to share....!

Thank Post

Re: Which VLE Moodle, Digital Brain, Oracle, Fronter, SIMS L

There is only one answer: Moodle. All of the rest cost money and support from a commercial company costs money so they cut corners by responding slowly. With Moodle the forum support is second to none. Most of the problems are solved within the hour (and they tend to be caused by me not reading the help properly). Quite often it is the writer of the module that gives an answer - can you imagine M$ doing that! Think about how quickly Firefox is updated when there is a problem - compare that with Internet Explorer.

Secondly. Our school tried a Blackboard demo system last year. Some staff put a lot of work into it then, when the demo ended, they lost all of their materials. Whatever VLE system is adopted you need control of it.

Thirdly. Moodle may not be the "best" system (although that is open to argument) but it easily can be. The more people using it the better it will become. Moodle 1.6 will be out in beta towards the middle of this month and, from all accounts, it is very impressive.

Lastly, in education we are forever re-inventing the wheel. Even within departments we go our different ways - often creating very similar worksheets. Now is the time to share and the technology helps. As my gesture towards this goal I offer notes on the AQA Advanced Computing (CPT1,2,3,4,5 and 6) together with a KS4 ICT Revision course. All released under the creative commons blurb. Not brilliant but I am sure that someone can improve on it and then offer it back. Contact me through my account details if you are interested or you can pick them up from http://www.e-subjects.co.uk/

Thank Post

Hi,

This is a really important debate. The government, Becta DFES are really keen for a all encompansing solution so a kid can go to any school and get their work or at least know how to use the VLE. This means mega money is going to be around and so crap companies are going to give flashy presentation and win a contract and then we will have to make it work. The moodle commuinty needs to get in their first and partion the disition makes in LEAs and above to implement the best solution with support for schools that don't have the tech to do it themselves. The DFES need to listen to the people that use technology in education rather than thouse who talk a good talk...

Rant over..

Thank Post

Moodle.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're still thinking about it. However I feel we've narrowed it down to between Moodle or MS Learning Platform. Yes the MS solution costs a fair whack of money but the automatic and single signon malarky is nice feature. Like I said we're still thinking about it, nothing is final yet.

We looked into other solutions (Capita Learning Platform, Digital Brain, Kaliedos) but didn't like any of them, primarily because you have to rely on a third party for hosting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes the MS solution costs a fair whack of money but the automatic and single signon malarky is nice feature.
    Got that here with Moodle..

Thank Post

Sharepoint Portal Server here - with class server on it's way....
    Without doubt SP is one of the best products I've ever used. Very powerful and reasonably user friendly... integrates nicely with Exchange and AD (as you'd expect) and NOT expensive if you have a Schools Agreement in place...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If it was down to me, I'd go down the Moodle path. But I haven't been given the chance to test others or go to the same meetings the people who make the decisions go to. But no matter which decision we go with, I don't have a choice as it'll be my job to scan documents and books for teachers and upload them to the VLE... *ahem* sorry, manage the VLE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moodle. Lets face it, when O'Reilly release a book on a product you know its big (and free to boot!).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...267486-3948767

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    If it was down to me, I'd go down the Moodle path. But I haven't been given the chance to test others or go to the same meetings the people who make the decisions go to. But no matter which decision we go with, I don't have a choice as it'll be my job to scan documents and books for teachers and upload them to the VLE... *ahem* sorry, manage the VLE.
    Webman

I see your from Durham LEA, have you heard of anything in the pipeline regarding a county wide VLE - our Headteacher mentioned this to me a while ago that they were working on something, but never heard any more about it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Webman

I see your from Durham LEA, have you heard of anything in the pipeline regarding a county wide VLE - our Headteacher mentioned this to me a while ago that they were working on something, but never heard any more about it.

Thanks
    You have a PM

Thank Post

Hi all, a couple of things of questionable relevance here:
    you can find a comparison of Blackboard and Moodle carried out by an Humboldt State University here. http://www.humboldt.edu/~jdv1/moodle/all.htm

also for anyone in the North West, their LEA (through Lancashire grid for Learning and CLEO) are offering a Moodle installation free of charge. "if schools wish to investigate the potential of using a learning platform we can set up a full functional moodle vle at no cost to the school. if you are interested in joining the 40 schools currently using this facility, please contact rob.musker@ict.lancsgfl.ac.uk Contact rob also on 01257 516379

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast