+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Is this blog fact or fiction? in Technical; I've just found and read a very interesting article here: Enterprise support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian Linux, OpenLDAP, ...
    Thank Post

Is this blog fact or fiction?

I've just found and read a very interesting article here:
    Enterprise support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian Linux, OpenLDAP, PostgreSQL, Samba and Squid from Sirius Corporation - All Blog Entries

wondered if anyone could shed any light on what is fact or fiction?
    thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An interesting position that misses out a number of key facts about Govt support, the Govt agenda within that project and how flawed the methodology was in the first place.

I hate to say it ... but this if FUD ... it might be good for forcing a serious look into what happened and why, but it is still very one sided.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...Windows Server 2000 will not be supported by CAPITA after July 2008 and Windows 2000 workstations will not be supported after February 2008. It will therefore be necessary for all schools with these operating systems to consider upgrading them at the earliest opportunity. Four S will continue to support them for as long as possible, but it is vital that you start planning your budgets for 2008/09 with this in mind.

Microsoft’s withdrawal of support for SQL 2000 (which is the ‘engine’ making SIMS.net work) also means that a newer version of Microsoft SQL will need to be installed later this year. The August 2007 main release of Sims.net will work on both SQL 2000 and SQL Express 2005, the newer version. However, subsequent releases of Sims will only work on the latter. Four S will issue further details on the above and instructions of what schools will need to do in order to install the new version of SQL, once they have received more information from CAPITA'...
    Seems fair to me. Why should they support a system no longer supported by Microsoft? From a security standpoint it makes perfect sense, especially since large chunks of the Windows 2000 source code were stolen several years back.

Thank Post
    Windows Server 2000 will not be supported by CAPITA after July 2008
    Really? That's news to me! Can anyone point me at a Capita document that says that? I've just searched for one, but couldn't find anything; also our account manager never said anything when I mentioned recently that we still have 2000.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread