+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Kaleidos - Any Info/PDF's/Tutorials Appreciated... in Technical; Hi Everyone... Our School has just had Kaleidos installed via our LEA... I've absolutely no experience or had any exposure ...
    Thank Post

Kaleidos - Any Info/PDF's/Tutorials Appreciated...

Hi Everyone...

Our School has just had Kaleidos installed via our LEA...

I've absolutely no experience or had any exposure to VLE's before, We have training dates coming in the near future but I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some info/literature on this system.

Thanks in advance...

Thank Post
    Yes, we had it installed November 2007. Going home at 3.30 so will come back to you Monday.

It is a big area to manage and here I have insisted that once installed and students loaded and the basics are ok it becomes a Curriculum/Teacher job.

So progress, you guessed it, poor. The e-folio area is good.

Will get back to you on Monday
    Last edited by PatBoland; 11th April 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Thank Post
    We have just gone through the System Admin training, and a couple of teachers are due the role-based training soon. Our LEA bought it for all primary schools. Haven't done much with it, and certainly won't be rolling it out to staff, pupils and parents fast. Will see what I can find in PDF format on Monday and send it over, but unless you already have a login then you won't get a proper idea until you've done the training.
    Last edited by Andie; 17th April 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Punctuation mistake!

Thank Post
    Our setup is as follows:

We do not connect to our MIS system so an Excel spreadsheet is used and updated as and when, very simple but updates can take 2 - 4 hours to see so don't panic. As Andie, previous post says wait 'till you get training and then slowly check out all areas and do not make too many changes all at once. Set yourself up a test student and test teacher so you can check that changes made come through as you would expect.

Once the basics are done I would advise passing it on to a senior teacher as it is a teaching tool and needs to be rolled out by teachers to teachers to be of any use, my experience is that they know better because I am only the IT guy

Anyway the e-folio area for students looks very useful and maybe if some teachers grasp it, it may develop. Again all depends on your own staff but it could be a full time job for whoever is responsible for it hence here once I set the basics I passed it over the Curriculum area to develop and manage.

The basic training is reasonable but once you start playing around it begins to make sense and the help files usually answer what you may need, they are also good over the phone (RM) and of course your LEA need it to work so I am sure they will have help in place as we have.

If you need any specifics give me a shout and I will oblige but I am still finding my way through it. I suppose in a couple of years flavor of the month will change and something new will be on the scene just as we crack all the issues!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    We bought it 5 years ago when it was in it's infancy and it was really difficult getting the teachers on-board, so much so that 5 years later they hardly use it, so to me it was a waste of 20k which our headteacher at the time signed us up to.

Had i known of this i would have told him not to bother.

We are now looking to implement Moodle as our VTLE, which if the school had listened to me would have been up running and full of content by now.

Ho Hum insight is a wonderful thing but just to have any vision at all is a start.

would like to ask anyone out there how they built their own framework for their VTLE using Moodle, did they get any consultants in to advise and how did they go about getting the teachers motivated?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I aint had chance to get back sooner but been - you guest it too busy!

We had a presentation today, basically showing us what it can and will be able to do in the "very near future"...

Staff were very dubious about it, but I personally think if it is used properly it could be very effective and efficient for the staff...

They have promised us that extensive training is available, I was just trying to get an head start so when the training does eventually come I'll have an exposure to it.

Agreed about it being managed by a senior teaching staff member, but the guidelines we were given also point out that a member of the ICT support team should also take a lead role in the implementation...

Anyway I'm gonna jump in and see what comes of it... I'll update you on my progress, and thanks patboland I'll definitely be giving you a shout very soon lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry missed this thread do give me a shout if get into any trouble and follow advice given so far.

But as people said slt lead approach is a must and plan I am not sure with lea wide installs but normal school installs get some consultancy days to plan the roll out.

If not part of lea wide scheme then talk to lea and see if can buy some extra ones in from rm for your school as they are worth every penny)

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanks Russ...

As ours is a LEA wide install, I have a feeling that there will be several sessions where a chosen rep will be taken from each school to attend, basically going through the initial setup, i.e customizing the look and setting up basic account access...

I will update this thread as and when these sessions happen.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes but these are different to consultancy days right two different sessions the training session which is what you on about and the consultancy days which is when rm come in a with slt, and people responsible for roll out and it support and agree a plan of how to roll it out across the school.

As said they are worth every penny as they guide you through the whole process.

Thank Post
    Just to warn you that our LEA wide approach has meant that training is being done by LEA staff, delivered to small groups of school staff at a time. I took part in the Portal Administrator training, and we have two teachers currently going through the Role Based Training. My main problem has been that those leading the training for us didn't exectly inspire confidence; I honestly don't think that they had had enough time using the system themselves before they passed on the training to us. We were also allowed to do things that I have since found out were not a good idea (eg. change the name of a main site). So I spent a lot of time after training restoring the damage.

Be very careful if you are going to play around with it. Don't delete anything! It took me a long time to get my head round how all the sites hang together. We weren't able to view any of the other user group sites (eg. pupil, parent, teacher) on our training to see what they look like to those users, and I still feel I am operating in a bit of a vacuum as an admin user.

My advice would be to wait until you can get hold of some manuals and then read through those. I learnt more doing half an hour of that than I had on the two days of training. Hopefully your training will be better!

I'd be interested in swapping experiences, as yours is an LEA purchase like ours. Are you primary based (I am) or secondary based?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There you question answered as said conusltancy days are worth it (as said these are different to training) maybe worth asking lea if can buy some in from rm.

As they do make whole proccess of roll out work a lot better and also means slt get to see what a big job it is.

Also they will have lea plan etc so again it can be linked into that etc. I am guessing..

Shame you don't get the rm trainers as they are very good rm trianing staff..

Russ

Thank Post
    On my feedback form after training, I suggested that it would have been helpful to have someone from RM present to answer questions that were beyond the LEA trainers...!

Will ask about consultancy days, though I doubt the reponse will be very positive. We have a planning meeting scheduled here for June when we hope to decide on rollout, among other things, so a consultancy day sounds like it would be useful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread