+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, google apps in Technical; I have been having a play and I am impressed with google apps has anyone integrated as part of there ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

google apps

I have been having a play and I am impressed with google apps has anyone integrated as part of there learning platform (If you want a play pm me) I have set one up as a test site and I am to say the least very impressed. With the google docs side it means that if set up correctly it would not be filtered as you can point your dns to it. Just wondering what people thought. Cheaper than and safer than opening port to network and save it as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Google docs now works offline:
    Google enables users to edit docs offline - ZDNet.co.uk

I reckon the majority of the curriculum (upto gsce) could be taught with nothing more than a web browser.

Thank Post
    I was just htinking about this (whist a long..... command is running) and decided to googe:

Moodle GApps by Rashan Anushka
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82494

This will integrate Google Apps services with Moodle. The Moodle administrators can manage gApps accounts within Moodle and all the Moodle users will be able to access gApps services within Moodle (i.e eMail via SSO, ect..)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Google docs now works offline:
    Google enables users to edit docs offline - ZDNet.co.uk

I reckon the majority of the curriculum (upto gsce) could be taught with nothing more than a web browser.
    At last....

As for the teaching using google would agree some very basic stuff yes but for example model side of spreadsheets got no chance of using google as just not powerful enough yet. Yes web based office systems are advancing but still few years off before could be used as replacement for major part of school curriculum.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 3rd April 2008 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    @Russ, take a look at the new yr 7 curriculum, you'll be surprised.
    I agree it can't replace GCSE yet, but it probably will by the time yr7 reach GCSE (or probably diploma by then)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @cybernerd

I have and stand by my comment.

Yes levels 3,4 and edge of 5 yes but if want to do ict level 5+ lot of it you can't.

As an example you can not do spreadsheet modelling for example in google no conditional formatting , pivot tables, linking into web data (ironic).

Linking graph from spreadsheet in PowerPoint another example so when the spreadsheet changes the graph on PowerPoint changes.

Yes basics are there but we still few years off being able to use it with level 5+ work. As said not far off and can see a point where we can but lot fo work still to do.

Russell

Thank Post
    As an example you can not do spreadsheet modelling for example in google no conditional formatting , pivot tables, linking into web data (ironic).
    I don't see why you actually need to do any of those things, for ks3. I was thinking that it would be the control unit that would cause the problem.

bedsides, google docs does do conditional formating, pivot tables and link to web data. It can even share so that students can work collaboratively. You should have a look at it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't see why you actually need to do any of those things, for ks3. I was thinking that it would be the control unit that would cause the problem.

bedsides, google docs does do conditional formatting, pivot tables and link to web data. It can even share so that students can work collaboratively. You should have a look at it.
    Why would you do it because it is part of the NC even in new nc..

As for google spreadsheet you are right you can now do above up until recently you couldn't so on that count I eat humble pie...

Still think you would start to reach the limits very quickly with level 5+.

Your right about control on that score (saying that control is no longer part of the new new ict nc moved over to design technology). But some schools like us still teach it as part of ICT.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well i have it all set up at the moment and for KS 1+2 I think it will be really good I dont think We will have a problem with it but I do agree with russ some KS3+4 stuff it is a bit basic at the moment but I know they are looking at live linking And what a bonus I have found out for schools it is free ??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread